Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2022, 10:43 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
I’ve studied your photos again.

You have 9 links under tension and that looks unusual to some people, but that’s because you have the ball mount set properly with a rearward cant.

However, I think (and this is only a guess) you need just a bit more tension. One link is perhaps too much. You should try Andy’s solution of using a short ½” bolt and nut through one link in each chain to effectively shorten it by about a half link. Finger tight is fine, the nut won’t loosen. (If a ½” seems a tight fit, use 7/16”.)

I did this when I switched from one 12v battery to two 6 volts. Tongue weight probably went up 70 lbs, and on our first trip the trailer was “hunting” in a stiff crosswind (even with the sway control set tight) and towing it started to feel like work. I stopped and installed the bolts. Instantly, the ride changed and the instability went away.

Yes, it can be that simple. Try the bolts, and then tow the trailer. It’s subjective, but towing should be easy, and crosswinds and passing trucks shouldn’t bother you.

This is why I think it makes sense to do your own setup. You will understand cause and effect, and be able to diagnose issues and set things up optimally.

The scales should confirm your setup, but I wouldn’t start there.

A note on the shank. Yes, it’s long. The normal way to adjust it is to cut a few inches off the end and drill another hole in it. However, Eaz-Lift changed the design a few years ago and it’s now a cast piece. CanAm is making their own shanks. I think it’s worth emailing them to see if you should go this route and buy one from them.
This is very good advice from Albert. I agree that from the photographs, it appears that more weight needs to be moved to the front of the tow vehicle. The half link approach is a sensible one, considering the problem you encountered. It is certainly worth trying it. As to the length of the shank, I am not suggesting it is the root cause of the problem. However, shortening it may improve stability and the overall towing experience. It is something you may want to look at in the future.
Aluminium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
With a trailer that big and heavy tongue weight, you need a 2500 frame. Your trailer is too big for the tow vehicle. You are at what 1000LB+ tongue weight?

Time for a 2500 frame. Even if you put better struts in the rear, its still too heavy. IMO.

Scales are irrelevant.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
With a trailer that big and heavy tongue weight, you need a 2500 frame. Your trailer is too big for the tow vehicle. You are at what 1000LB+ tongue weight?

Time for a 2500 frame. Even if you put better struts in the rear, its still too heavy. IMO.

Scales are irrelevant.
Bologna sauce!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:09 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
Please do not post and tell me I need a bigger truck. There are plenty of other threads where that can be debated. If you read my initial posts you will notice I am not asking if I should trade my truck in and drop another $20k for a larger truck. The axle ratings on the Tundra are plenty enough to tow this trailer. I’m simply seeking advice on how to dial in this hitch.
rfequity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfequity1 View Post
Please do not post and tell me I need a bigger truck. There are plenty of other threads where that can be debated. If you read my initial posts you will notice I am not asking if I should trade my truck in and drop another $20k for a larger truck. The axle ratings on the Tundra are plenty enough to tow this trailer. I’m simply seeking advice on how to dial in this hitch.

It's not about axle ratings. I never mentioned it.

Your over loaded. Its pretty simple. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:15 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
Were you able to get that hitch dialed in yet?
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
It's not about axle ratings. I never mentioned it.

Your over loaded. Its pretty simple. Good luck.
Opinions on this site are like rear ends everyone has one but some choose to talk through them. He does not need a 2500 anymore than I do. I went from a 2500 to a 1500 and would not go back. I am probably pulling heavier and it does a great job. To each his own but try to stick to the OP’s question after all he has been towing with the same truck for 5 years.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:26 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Latham , New York
To the OPs original question - When he dials in more WD the trailer noses up a bit. So the simple answer is to just lower the ball to level the trailer.

The suggestions to scale his TV/trailer do tell what the real loads/WD results are, so it’s up to the owner to make that happen.
WhatNext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:08 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
So yesterday we tried moving the ball one notch higher and that was not the direction to go. We went back to original spot and now have 4 links hanging. The trailer is almost perfect level and the truck is down 1” in the back. The front of the truck is exactly where it sits without trailer attached. I think is is as good as it gets. Which is really good! I can’t believe a $330 hitch could make such a big difference. It tows so solid and smooth and feels so connected. Now I just need to figure out how to attach the sway bar since the 7 wire cable runs through the frame where I need ti drill amd attach the sway bar bracket.

P.S. Anyone need a Curt Trutrack boat anchor?
Old 06-25-2022, 07:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Glad to hear a bit more tension got you dialed in. Enjoy the new tow. The Roadmaster Active Suspension does a great job with control especially under load in corners. Helps keep the truck level and feeling more in control when towing otherwise you don’t know it’s there.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:04 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
So yesterday we tried moving the ball one notch higher and that was not the direction to go. We went back to original spot and now have 4 links hanging. The trailer is almost perfect level and the truck is down 1” in the back. The front of the truck is exactly where it sits without trailer attached. I think is is as good as it gets. Which is really good! I can’t believe a $330 hitch could make such a big difference. It tows so solid and smooth and feels so connected. Now I just need to figure out how to attach the sway bar since the 7 wire cable runs through the frame where I need ti drill amd attach the sway bar bracket.

P.S. Anyone need a Curt Trutrack boat anchor?
When you say it is down 1" in the back, do you mean down 1" from the rear fender original height...or down 1" lower than the front fender height when WD is applied?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-25-2022, 09:06 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
I mean back bumper down 1” from height without anything attached.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I mean back bumper down 1” from height without anything attached.
That's probably just fine and desirable. Does Toyota discuss front fender height return in a towing section of your owner manual? How much return do they want?

Edit:

Found this online for your Tundra 2017:

"If using a weight distributing hitch when towing, return the front
axle to the same weight as before the trailer connection.
If front axle weight cannot be measured directly, measure the
front fender height above the front axle before connection. Adjust
weight distributing hitch torque until front fender is returned to the
same height as before connection. Do not reduce front fender height below original measurement.
The gross trailer weight, gross axle weight and tongue weight
can be measured with platform scales found at a highway weighing station, building supply company, trucking company, junk
yard, etc."

So, where are you on the front fender height measurements?

Old 06-25-2022, 10:09 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
With WD on the front returns to the same height as when trailer not attached.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
With WD on the front returns to the same height as when trailer not attached.
Then you're there, as far as TW effect. Now after everything is loaded in truck and trailer, I would advise a scale trip to verify load balance and to ensure everything is within load specs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

Old 06-25-2022, 10:15 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
Thanks so much. That is what I plan when we head out for next trip.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:24 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
This weigh ticket is with WD on. A few things in the truck bed and about half of what we have in trailer for camping. Very encouraging! If we added another, say, 700lbs of food clothing etc. None of the axles will be overloaded by a long shot! I'm so pleased.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4501.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	418297  
Old 06-25-2022, 04:14 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Northern , Ontario
Thanks for the update. Your perseverance paid off!
Aluminium Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:38 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Your gross weight, right now is 12,100 LB

What is the GCWR of that truck?
Old 06-26-2022, 06:42 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
16000 and some change.