Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2022, 07:01 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
Any suggestions from anyone how to install the sway bar ball plate that mounts to the frame? This goes on curb side and that is also where the 7 wire cable runs through the frame. Im not afraid of drilling there but a bit afraid of the screws maybe rubbing against the wire over time. Should i have it welded on?
rfequity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:14 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfequity1 View Post
Any suggestions from anyone how to install the sway bar ball plate that mounts to the frame? This goes on curb side and that is also where the 7 wire cable runs through the frame. Im not afraid of drilling there but a bit afraid of the screws maybe rubbing against the wire over time. Should i have it welded on?

How about installing it on the left side? If you don’t have a left-hand sway control, you can pull the bar out and turn it over.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:21 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
How about installing it on the left side? If you don’t have a left-hand sway control, you can pull the bar out and turn it over.
Right. With my old prowler, I had it on the curbside, for just that very reason. However, at 5500#, it was on the border of needing 2. Yes, you can crank them down hard, but they can get noisy when really tight.

Screws were fine for me. Ran that trailer way over 100k miles. No problems with frame, mount, nor head.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:33 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
Ok, still had the unit laying in the back of my truck and you are right. I just flipped the bar over. No reason to think it wont work this way. Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
just thought i would post an update. we went out for a short trip and this hitch setup is amazing! The truck seems so connected to the road and the trailer is level and feels so solid. I also noticed we porpoise less when going over bumps. Not that it doesn’t, it just settles down quicker. Why did I wait 5 years to do this?
Old 07-21-2022, 08:51 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
just thought i would post an update. we went out for a short trip and this hitch setup is amazing! The truck seems so connected to the road and the trailer is level and feels so solid. I also noticed we porpoise less when going over bumps. Not that it doesn’t, it just settles down quicker. Why did I wait 5 years to do this?

Congratulations! Now you know what a good setup is really like. Yes, optimizing the hitch really helps with porpoising. You notice it in the ride first, and then the sheer stability of the combination.

When you get it right, towing becomes a pleasure.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #47

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Mississauga , Ontario
I have the same hitch setup & got rid of the porpoising after increasing my TV sticker tire pressure of 35psi to 40psi cold. I monitor the tire temps while driving and they never exceed 43psi hot. Max tire pressure listed on sidewall is 51psi so I'm still well within tire specs.
briankb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:19 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
788_1078822267048_09242022_184503_327.pdf

Just wanted to close the loop on this one. We weighed with the new hitch setup fully loaded for a long trip with full water tank and about 3/4 full fuel tank. As you can clearly see, our 1/2 ton Tundra is well within limits, the AS is well within limits and it tows great! And we really didn't skimp on brining things. There is gene, grill, chairs and other items in the truck bed.

I think this is particularly encouraging since our front bed model seems to be somewhat tongue heavy.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:04 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Attachment 423110

Just wanted to close the loop on this one. We weighed with the new hitch setup fully loaded for a long trip with full water tank and about 3/4 full fuel tank. As you can clearly see, our 1/2 ton Tundra is well within limits, the AS is well within limits and it tows great! And we really didn't skimp on brining things. There is gene, grill, chairs and other items in the truck bed.

I think this is particularly encouraging since our front bed model seems to be somewhat tongue heavy.

Thanks for closing the loop. It’s great to see someone figuring it out and ending up with what appears to be an optimized setup.