Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Dual-Cam question

I think I am OK but thought it best to ask here about it. The dual cam bar? is touching the propane brass elbow when connected up using 5 links. It is just touching it and there is still about a 1/4" movement to the elbow before it bottoms out on the frame. The 5 links is perfect for the weight distribution I need. 6 links will work, but 5 puts just a little more load on the front that works out the best. I can tilt the ball more, but it is already just about at full tilt. I really do not want to go that route if at all possible. So, my question is, Is there any thing wrong with it touching? From what I can think of, there is no movement of this bar other than when you rotate it up into position. Any thoughts??

Thank you, Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2150.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	68226  
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I do not have a dual cam setup, so I am not familiar with the angle of the cams and such. I do think that 1/4 inch clearance on a propane line is not enough. As you make turns and weight is shifted the arms will flex and move off cam. This action will cause movement in all the components of the hitch. If the hitch is setup correctly, I would relocate the propane line.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Hey Bob;

I agree with Richard. You don't want to have any rubbing at all on the brass fitting because even though there is clearance right now, when you are towing there is quite a bit of activity there. I have a dual cam on my rig and I make sure there is nothing near it. I know brass will not cause sparks but you have to be plenty careful there. It might be cheaper in the long run to fix a potential problem now. Enjoy....

Bob
Member 4CU
WBCCI # 10105
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your choices are either adjust the head back so you can drop one more link on the chains or move the propane line so it clears the adjustable arm. You should have at least 1/2 in. clearance. While the arms should never move up or down while hitched just good practice would require reasonable clearance.

If you adjust the head back you will have to recenter the cams as the bars will move slightly aft as the head is tilted. You should also recheck the WD amounts on each axle.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I agree with the other posters. It would be helpful to see a photo from a bit farther away to completely assess the situation.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I guess I'm just a little?? thick headed on this one. I can not understand what activity there would be. To me, that bar should not move one bit unless you are taking it off or on. The Trunnion bars move, but in this feeble mind, that is all that does move. There is quite a bit of tension put on those chains from the Trunnion bars that keep the chains tight all the time which keeps that bar from moving. For that bar to move up, the chains would have to get some slack. That to me could not happen.

I guess a little clearance would be good, just a pain to move that propane line!! LOL

Bob
Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I guess I'm just a little?? thick headed on this one. I can not understand what activity there would be. To me, that bar should not move one bit unless you are taking it off or on. The Trunnion bars move, but in this feeble mind, that is all that does move. There is quite a bit of tension put on those chains from the Trunnion bars that keep the chains tight all the time which keeps that bar from moving. For that bar to move up, the chains would have to get some slack. That to me could not happen.

I guess a little clearance would be good, just a pain to move that propane line!! LOL

Bob
A pain is far better than a poof.

IF FOR ANY REASON, that cam arm hit the propane line, it could create a huge POOF, like in an explosion.

Be safe. MOVE IT.

You may not appreciate it, but you butt will.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If it were me, and for whatever reason I did not want to tilt the head, I'd hook it up, and with the gas turned off, drive it around a while making sure I went thru some dips, and plenty of turns. Then, inspect the brass fitting to see if it did hit. If it did, I'd readjust the head and the hitch, and replace the brass fitting.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but I too can't understand why you just don't readjust the hitch, but to each, their own.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Thanks all for the input. Stupid as I am at times, I never really looked REAL close at the gas line. If I had, I would of noticed that it was mounted to the frame using about 1/2" spacers right where I needed the room! So, all I had to do was remove those spacers and WALLAH! I now have no worries!! It's the little things that getcha at times! LOL