Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
If the damage was normal wear for a 44 year old trailer, then wouldn't all 44 year old trailers suffer a similar fate? And why did this only occur to the front of the trailer? It would seem there should be some damage elsewhere, like somewhere close to the axle or to the rear of the trailer....

Then you have to ask why would this occur - what would cause this?
Are you certain that all 44 year old trailers have seen the amount and type of service yours has?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Are you certain that all 44 year old trailers have seen the amount and type of service yours has?
I've seen a lot of vintage and front skin with rivet holes more then twice the diameter of the rivet heads are not normal.

I have the owner log - and know of the owners through a friend, and mine (formerly mine - I've sold it after a complete rebuild) did not have an abnormal amount of use.

If one were to infer that excessive use would cause this kind of damage, then how would one explain how the other 3/4 ths of the trailer survived all that use without damage?
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I've seen a lot of vintage and front skin with rivet holes more then twice the diameter of the rivet heads are not normal.

I have the owner log - and know of the owners through a friend, and mine (formerly mine - I've sold it after a complete rebuild) did not have an abnormal amount of use.

If one were to infer that excessive use would cause this kind of damage, then how would one explain how the other 3/4 ths of the trailer survived all that use without damage?
Wow! Rare information indeed. I've forgotten how many used trailers I've owned, mainly because I've never bought a new one, and never have I had such information.

And then, even with the record of how many owners, who the owners were, and maybe even what tow vehicles they used in the course of 44 years, and then even more remote, the chance that you have the information of what hitch they all used AND what weight hitch bars they all used.... Do you also have the information of what all roads they towed on and the condition of said road at the time they drove down that road up to 44 years ago?

Just saying.......
Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
.... Do you also have the information of what all roads they towed on and the condition of said road at the time they drove down that road up to 44 years ago?

Just saying.......
I'm very interested in, since you think my analysis is wrong, your explanation why all those miles and rough roads did not negatively impact the rest of structure? Do you have a better explanation?

Then again you didn’t get to make that analysis – because you didn’t see it ….

Have you rebuilt an Airstream from a shell off?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I'm very interested in, since you think my analysis is wrong, your explanation why all those miles and rough roads did not negatively impact the rest of structure? Do you have a better explanation?

Then again you didn’t get to make that analysis – because you didn’t see it ….

Have you rebuilt an Airstream from a shell off?
No, I have not totally rebuilt an Airstream, and no I don't think your analysis is wrong.

I just think you don't really know enough about the life your trailer has led over it's 44 years to accurately analyze what caused the problems, and yes, that is just my opinion. Not saying you are wrong, just that I doubt you really have enough accrate information to make a 100% correct analysis.

As an example....I own a 1938 Chevrolet that has been rebuilt into a streetrod, built from probably one of the best original bodies available today, and I bought the car from the person who did the body and paint work, and he gave me the information on the original owner that he bought the car from with 32,000 original miles, and to this day I still find "surprizes" in the car that I was not aware of.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #66
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
How about those Giants... jus sayin...

We should probably move on guys. I have seen this movie and it goes nowhere quick. Everyone is making good points but the dots don't connect. We can have different opinions and still enjoy our airstreams and have a beer together at a rally. It all comes down to personal preference in the end. Its your airstream. Treat it like you stole it or baby it like a family member. Just enjoy it...

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I do know vibration was the cause of the damage. I also know only the front of the trailer was damaged (evenly, across the front and on both front portions of each side).

Clearly if the damage causing vibration was a result of being towed over poor roads, then more then just the front 25 percent would have had vibration damage.

Tow vehicle springs too stiff, transferred to the trailer (in part by weight distribution mechanisms) is the only source of vibration I’m aware of that would cause the damage I found.

Note here, that I have not waged into the debate of what is too much or too little weight distribution controls. My contributions here are simply a warning that there is such as thing as damage to the Airstream caused by excessive vibration.

If someone knows of some other agent, other then the tow vehicle, that would cause that kind of damage, then I would be interested in their ideas, and future readership would be that much better for it.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
How about those Giants... jus sayin...

We should probably move on guys. I have seen this movie and it goes nowhere quick. Everyone is making good points but the dots don't connect. We can have different opinions and still enjoy our airstreams and have a beer together at a rally. It all comes down to personal preference in the end. Its your airstream. Treat it like you stole it or baby it like a family member. Just enjoy it...
Yea, how about those Giants
I'm sending in a request to Myth Busters on weight distribution
Besides this is a a receiver thread
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
GetOutDoors,

I will in no way dispute anything that you say. However, do you suppose that all the damage you found on your trailer while rebuilding it could possibly be normal wear and tear for a possibly heavily used trailer that is 44 years old?

Or, is it absolutely certain the damage was caused by too heavily suspended TV and too much weight distribution?
Unbalanced running gear is a possibility but my money is on too heavily suspended TV and too much weight distribution....
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote