Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Middletown , New Jersey
Do I really need an anti sway hitch?

so the time has finally come for me to pickup my basecamp20 - im driving down from NJ to FL

slightly annoyed, my dealer tells me NOW that they recommend and anti-sway hitch, etc

they told me months ago to get a hitch and 2" ball, to which I got installed, and then they said use the 2 5/16" ball, so I had to get another one

now they tell me I need an anti sway hitch which they are trying to sell me for 850

is this just another dealer tactic? my tow vehicle is a 2020 honda ridgeline AWD

i leave thursday, so hopefully someone can give me some feedback and insight on this
catskillsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Yes -- but not for $850.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I think you'll get lots of opinions here, but generally most people here use weight distribution hitches with anti-sway control. I don't know the specifications for your rig specifically, but I would think that your concerns will be the tongue weight limit of your hitch, as well as the overall weight of your rig. Personally, I like safety features that can help me avoid a bad situation like trailer sway. I would buy one if I were you.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Wow, a 1300 mile test run? I'd say you do need to get an anti-sway hitch. What one are they trying to sell you? You may have to go with what they are offering if your schedule is that tight.
Hard to believe they told you to get the wrong size ball.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Wow, a 1300 mile test run? I'd say you do need to get an anti-sway hitch. What one are they trying to sell you? You may have to go with what they are offering if your schedule is that tight.
Hard to believe they told you to get the wrong size ball.
they are trying to sell me the Curt for $870 installed
Old 08-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I think you'll get lots of opinions here, but generally most people here use weight distribution hitches with anti-sway control. I don't know the specifications for your rig specifically, but I would think that your concerns will be the tongue weight limit of your hitch, as well as the overall weight of your rig. Personally, I like safety features that can help me avoid a bad situation like trailer sway. I would buy one if I were you.
i'm. not against getting a sway WDH, but this place just keeps giving me wrong info and ive spent $230 cuz if they told me i needed the WDH from the get go, I would have just gotten it

i'm a very good driver, i have "zero" towing experience - I do think I would get the hang of it but can you not just drive it with a ball hitch?
Old 08-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
You absolutely can drive it with the trailer on the ball and no WDH.

What I don’t know is how much your rear suspension and hitch can handle, so you may experience significant squat in the rear of your vehicle. Additionally, the anti-sway will really help on the highway and in windy conditions.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Yes you can just drive with a ball hitch if you're tow vehicle is capable of towing that size/weight of trailer with just the ball. I suspect that the Ridgeline is marginal without a weight distributing hitch. You could use the hitch you have and take the trailer for a test run. Keep the speed down to about 35 mph and increase it if you feel comfortable with the load. You should be aware that on freeways and multi-lane roads, tractor trailer outfits will tend to pull your outfit into the side of the passing vehicle and then push you away as it goes by. That can be a little unnerving the first time it happens. You can decide whether or not to buy a weight distributing hitch based on your test drive. Measure the height of the rear wheel well opening on each side of your pickup before attaching the trailer and then measure them again after putting the trailer tongue weight on the ball. The difference is called 'squat' and if it's more than two inches then you will want the WD hitch to bring the rig back into level.

Anti-sway is generally part of the WD package and is a worthwhile addition. It does just what the name implies - reduces sway caused by wind and passing traffic. The package your dealer is offering probably includes anti-sway but you should ask about that.

Best of luck!
Old 08-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I will answer this the same way I answer others with this type of question. First boat owners especially those who spend 20 to 70000 dollars on a new boat and don't want to invest in boat bumper or buy cheap bumpers and then wonder why the gel coat is scarred. the those who do not want to invest in surge protectors to protect their electronics. As to sway bars hey just get passed by a truck with a forty fort or even two trailers doing 65 or more on the highway then you wish you had them or going over a high bridge in high winds. If you do not like the price shop around however I would error on the safe side and get them.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
You might be best served by asking other Basecamp tow folks here what their experience has been towing their small trailers with a Ridgeline sized tow vehicle.

The dealership might be erring on the caution/safety side and of course make some money on the install.

Educate yourself first, thats your job not the dealer, which you're trying to do but you are just going to get a bunch of our opinions.

Check out some videos and prices at Etrailer. The Curt anti sway only cost $60.00 at E trailer.

There is also a difference between weight distribution system and anti sway.

This is a big dollar purchase and you are headed down the heavily traveled Highway at what speed against the air push of 18 wheelers.

Yes, just the ball will likely get you there. Is it safest. Will you experience push or pull when being passed. How fast is safe and comfortable. How should you react when (if) the trailer does sway.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Yea, I would get this for the unit you have:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ese/83660.html

No real need for WD, but sway control, even the most basic is better than nothing. $104.

**edit** or what Hittenstiehl said.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
If your headlights are pointing at the sky 1) you’ll annoy people, 2) you won’t be able to see the huge potholes in the road, 3) you won’t have much traction on the front wheels.

Look on the hitch receiver for the important hitch specs. What I’ve read shows the AWD max tongue weight at 600# with two tow-vehicle occupants. It drops about 30# with each occupant. Your Basecamp tongue weight specs are around 535# but you’ll probably be higher than that.

Towing capacities of vehicles are probably overstated when talking about travel trailers. The specs are calculated in such a way so as to maximum the stated towing capacity. Blame the marketing department. Towing 5000# of bricks on a flat bed trailer is much different than a towing 5000# travel trailer. With the bricks the center of gravity, wind drag, and lateral push are very low. The travel trailer is just the opposite.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
I would install an anti sway hitch. More is better. Prepare for worst case scenarios. Protect your safety and investment. Not a time to be cheap. We recently passed an over turned trailer the other day.... no anti sway/weight distribution hitch.

Prices at dealer s are higher than normal but they will set it up and I would think if anything negative came out of the set up....the dealer would be responsible. If you chose to have it done. Video the process of them showing you how to use it as well as the AS in the entire hitch area.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
New Orleans , Louisiana
[QUOTE=catskillsbc;252 >>>> i have "zero" towing experience <<<<< [QUOTE]

Get them to install the WDH & anti sway asap ! With a Honda Ridgeline you will need both.
SilverBamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Yea, I would get this for the unit you have:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ese/83660.html

No real need for WD, but sway control, even the most basic is better than nothing. $104.

**edit** or what Hittenstiehl said.
"Estimated delivery Sept 27th"

I think he's leaving Thursday.

A Basecamp 20 Grosses out at 4300 pounds with a "suggested" tongue weight of 500 pounds. I don't think you mentioned if you are traveling alone, with a partner, or with kids too. How much stuff are you bringing? My 2 cents are you need a WD hitch with sway control because you most likely are close to or over the Ridgeline's stated towing capacity. $850 installed may be a few hundred over what you can do if you have the time, but like urnmor says, this is no time to cheap out. Too bad about the $200 or whatever you spent on the wrong ball , it's now spilt milk.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
First I would check your owner's manual. My manual says that anything over 500lbs on the ball I need a WDH. You really want a level TV. It will handle much better and be safer.

Second you will want some anti-sway. You might be a good driver, but not having an anti-sway hitch is taking a bigger risk. Once sway starts it can be horrible. So the few bucks it might cost is cheap insurance IMHO.

As to which type of hitch you want will depend upon how much weight distribution you will need. $850 is not out of line if installed. If you want to install yourself, you can go cheaper. I would also investigate the type of hitch etc to make sure it is something you want.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillsbc View Post

i'm a very good driver, i have "zero" towing experience

Towing with a Honda Ridgeline + 530 lbs Tongue Weight; I would get the WDH & anti sway. When you drive on those concrete paved road, each and every seals you hit will remind you & your passengers what a good $850.00 investment you made.
SilverBamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
From one who has towed multiple trailers, with multiple tow vehicles, with and without weight distribution and sway control: for your rig you should get both.

In the big picture it doesn’t cost much, and you will appreciate the benefits. The only decision you could regret would be the decision not to get it.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
From one who has towed multiple trailers, with multiple tow vehicles, with and without weight distribution and sway control: for your rig you should get both.

In the big picture it doesn’t cost much, and you will appreciate the benefits. The only decision you could regret would be the decision not to get it.
Just to tag on, if you had the time to try to drive for a day or so without a WD hitch you might understand what we are telling you. Or maybe you'd convince yourself it's fine. But you don't have that time. Get the WD/anti sway hitch. After your trip, try driving without it. If you don't think you need it, sell it and get some of your money back.

Don't worry, you'll be spending plenty of money on many other things you did not anticipate needing when you RV.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #20
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Take a look at this: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66082.html

Good set up for a light-ish weight trailer.

I think you need both WD and sway control towing a single axle trailer with a ridgeline.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote