Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillsbc View Post
thanks everyone for the replies - I have gone ahead and told the dealership to have a WDH ready for when I go down

most of the replies hit the nail on the head, while this was a big investment and we're trying to not keep spending, when it comes to safety i should not be penny wise and pound foolish
I think you’ve made a wise decision. I tend to view this more from the safety standpoint than the cost standpoint, although cost is a consideration.

An analogy in my mind would be asking if you need a seatbelt when you’re driving. If you don’t crash, then you don’t really need one. If you crash however, you really do need one! It’s probably best to wear a seatbelt.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:44 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Parrish , Florida
Looks like I may get to see how my trailer tows on a standard ball, no WD or Sway Control. We are scheduled to pick it up this weekend (25GT FBQ) and it doesn’t look like the hitch I have on order will make it here in time.

It’s about a 50 mile drive down the interstate and we may have some weather from Tropical Storm Fred to contend with, so should be a good test. And based on how my wife and I typically do things none of this is a surprise.

2022 25’ Globetrotter FBQ
2020 Ford F-250 6.7L Tremor
Bill_H80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Is there a suitable non-interstate route? 50 miles with big trucks whizzing by while you're tootling along at a safe, comfortable speed will be a long trip. I'd find a two-lane road, if possible. Or something without a lot of truck traffic.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
What's the weight max of the ball you're planning to use. I have a nice Aluminum adjustable hitch I was using for my Jayco. I was thinking of using it as a backup in the event something went wrong with my ProPride and then looked and it is only rated at 1000 pounds. My 25' GT FB has a listed tongue weight of 885 pounds and while I have not weighed it, it's pretty common for these to run over the spec weight. I'm looking for an adjustable hitch of at lest 1500 pounds now as a backup and for hauling other stuff
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Parrish , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
What's the weight max of the ball you're planning to use. I have a nice Aluminum adjustable hitch I was using for my Jayco. I was thinking of using it as a backup in the event something went wrong with my ProPride and then looked and it is only rated at 1000 pounds. My 25' GT FB has a listed tongue weight of 885 pounds and while I have not weighed it, it's pretty common for these to run over the spec weight. I'm looking for an adjustable hitch of at lest 1500 pounds now as a backup and for hauling other stuff
I’ve got a B&W Tow and Stow 3-way hitch with the 3” shank and 7” drop, it’s rated at 21,000lbs. That’s what I use for equipment and livestock.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/pro...ble-ball-mount

As far as the drive … we’ll plan to take it easy but I’m interested to see how it responds on just the ball, as its a much simpler option in the long run provided it works. And it will be a nice comparison to live weight from a few steers in the back of my trailer.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_H80 View Post
I’ve got a B&W Tow and Stow 3-way hitch with the 3” shank and 7” drop, it’s rated at 21,000lbs. That’s what I use for equipment and livestock.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/pro...ble-ball-mount

As far as the drive … we’ll plan to take it easy but I’m interested to see how it responds on just the ball, as its a much simpler option in the long run provided it works. And it will be a nice comparison to live weight from a few steers in the back of my trailer.
Good luck. Just remember a lot of what is on this site is a competition as to who can spend the most money then feel most superior about doing so.

Transporters haul all day every day on the ball. Just a matter of having the right equipment and experience to do so.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Good luck. Just remember a lot of what is on this site is a competition as to who can spend the most money then feel most superior about doing so…….
Or, instead of assigning bad motives to people with different opinions, we might accept that different people have different experiences and different tolerances for risk when it comes to safety matters. Everyone is trying to help — it is for the OP to take in the different opinions and determine their personal comfort zone.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
Or, instead of assigning bad motives to people with different opinions, we might accept that different people have different experiences and different tolerances for risk when it comes to safety matters. Everyone is trying to help — it is for the OP to take in the different opinions and determine their personal comfort zone.
Totally agree with you IMHO you cannot place a price on the safety of your family. Also like you said ultimately it is up to the individual to decide what path they want to take.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:50 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_H80 View Post
It will be interesting to hear how it compares. Our cattle trailer weighs, what, 1000# empty. Add three head of cattle heading to auction at 1000# each means the F-150 max tow is towing 4000#. Call it ~600# on the ball. Traveling <30 miles with the cattle on non-interstates and 30 miles back empty.

The 7000# AS for 250 miles, some of it on the interstate, can be tiring. That extra weight really pulls down the ball (only did this once for two miles). Lights pointing to the sky. Mushy steering. Add the fatigue after driving the AS far longer than the cattle haul. I don't know. Just thinking out loud. Maybe if it feels OK to you, you take it on a true camping-type trip (distance, payload) just on the ball. I wouldn't but YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Transporters haul all day every day on the ball. Just a matter of having the right equipment and experience to do so.
Most folks on this site have neither the equipment of a transporter (1-ton truck) nor the "all day every day" experience.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Most folks on this site have neither the equipment of a transporter (1-ton truck) nor the "all day every day" experience.[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree that is why it is wise to err on the side of safety.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
On the ball

We have a 2014 Tacoma 4x4 with a 6500# towing capacity and a 2020 BCX 16’. After extensive reading, we decided to purchase an Equalizer hitch. It was fairly easy to install, it took about four hrs of fooling around with washers and such. We towed our BCX home wo the hitch and had no issues except significant squat. Squat resolved with the Equalizer. I have been very happy with our choice. FYI. One couples experience. Good luck and safe travels.
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:41 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Quebec , Quebec
I have a Basecamp 20x and I use an Equalizer 600. I see a difference in handling in general with my Dodge ram 1500. Specially more stable at higher speed.
Pplouffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:02 AM   #53
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Most folks on this site have neither the equipment of a transporter (1-ton truck) nor the "all day every day" experience.
Definitely agree that is why it is wise to err on the side of safety.[/QUOTE]

Nailed it...
Consider also...the delivery person has no skin in the game, if it ends up in the ditch, rat's
Plus they are not likely to have the entire family with them.

Agreed...the haha wasn't cheep, but amortized it has cost us $166.666666666666669/year. I think it has been worth it.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #54
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillsbc View Post
thanks everyone for the replies - I have gone ahead and told the dealership to have a WDH ready for when I go down

most of the replies hit the nail on the head, while this was a big investment and we're trying to not keep spending, when it comes to safety i should not be penny wise and pound foolish
Good decision. A number of responses on this thread deviate from your initial issue which is that your tow vehicle while adequate, is a 2020 honda ridgeline AWD is not a heavy tow vehicle. Having towed a similar weight single axle trailer with a ford explorer (similar tow specs) I can promise you won't regret the hitch choice. Can you do without it? Maybe. Should you ? No.

Single axle trailers are more prone to sway that double axle trailers and if you are close the hitch weight maximums; taking weight off the front of your truck will make this worse.

Money well spent, IMO

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Parrish , Florida
Brought her home this morning, towing on the ball, 50 miles down the interstate between 65 and 70mph, and another 12 of 2 lane country rounds with a few dump trucks and tankers coming the other way.

She pulled great and tracked right behind the truck. She felt heavier than the livestock trailer but less jumpy when compared to feeling the movement of the steers, almost like a slower/more muted movement if that makes sense.

In either case, very pleased overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
It will be interesting to hear how it compares. Our cattle trailer weighs, what, 1000# empty. Add three head of cattle heading to auction at 1000# each means the F-150 max tow is towing 4000#. Call it ~600# on the ball. Traveling <30 miles with the cattle on non-interstates and 30 miles back empty.

The 7000# AS for 250 miles, some of it on the interstate, can be tiring. That extra weight really pulls down the ball (only did this once for two miles). Lights pointing to the sky. Mushy steering. Add the fatigue after driving the AS far longer than the cattle haul. I don't know. Just thinking out loud. Maybe if it feels OK to you, you take it on a true camping-type trip (distance, payload) just on the ball. I wouldn't but YMMV.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:54 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Middletown , New Jersey
Hey everyone. Some updates!

I’m 75% of the way home. The dealer said that since my ridgeline is a unibody the rule of thumb is to not use any weight distribution as it puts undue stress on the frame so they gave me a friction bar for sway

Honda handles shockingly well ( aside from backing up) but thwt seems more like a learning curve for me.
catskillsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #57
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Yes, the weight distributing is very important always and sway control in certain situations. Don't know why they didn't tell you, but ask them to make it part of the deal: free. We did, and the dealer included it for free. They don't want customers having accidents after getting a new unit without safety features. You have some negotiating opportunity here.
JHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #58
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Here's another option, good for a small trailer. Towing on the ball over 500 lbs without sway control is a bad idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3350...8637194&sr=8-3
Best advice given. I towed a 2011 19' MPG behind an '07 FJ Cruiser for several years. I bought an Anderson hitch for them. The Anderson hitch is brilliantly designed, light weight, clean, and after over thirty years of towing innummerable trailers of every size behind tow vehicles of every size using a Reese Dual-Cam, if I ever need another WD/anti-sway hitch, it'll be another Anderson.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
I towed a 16 foot Bambi without anit-sway. I had my dealer install a Equalizer hitch system for around $850 on my newer 25’ Flying Cloud. No way would I tow without it - and in hindsight, would likely go with similar setup on the 16’. So yeah…maybe??
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:27 AM   #60

Anti sway

We installed anti sway on our 28’ AS International and on our 16’ AS Nest and think they improve stability a lot. We wouldn’t tow without it.
CMathers is offline   Reply With Quote