Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Demco coupler lock

I'm looking for a lock for the Demco coupler on our 2020 Globetrotter. I know it's possible to put a pin through the hole in the coupler to prevent the latch from being raised but would prefer the style that fits over the coupler.

Anyway, I found a post from early in the year where this was discussed and found a reference from Demco to a lock made by Baylock. Has anyone used this lock? Thoughts?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cou...s/BLTL-33.html

Has anything come out since January that someone likes better? Demco, please weigh in if you have any updates to your previous recommendation.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
For when the trailer is not connected to the tow vehicle. I think you will find many who love their Proven Locks. They lock the chains too.
https://www.provenlocks.com/
Joe15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe15601 View Post
For when the trailer is not connected to the tow vehicle. I think you will find many who love their Proven Locks. They lock the chains too.
https://www.provenlocks.com/
I looked at the Proven Lock. It looks like a terrific product with the only downside being it's very high cost.

Edit: What the heck, I ordered one. Don't want anyone else to feel the need to reply, although discussion is welcome of course.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
The dealer who sold us our Bambi (not Demco) recommended the Fastway lock, the kind with the twist at the “bottom “ of the U shank. (This rides on top the coupler.)
I had to turn it around to fit the Demco, but it is sturdy and snug.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I looked at the Proven Lock. It looks like a terrific product with the only downside being it's very high cost.

Edit: What the heck, I ordered one. Don't want anyone else to feel the need to reply, although discussion is welcome of course.
I must be daft.......but which one did you select? I didn't see a demco on the rollover images.....got a link to the one you bought?

I don't have one, but I'm curious.

Thx
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
I must be daft.......but which one did you select? I didn't see a demco on the rollover images.....got a link to the one you bought?

I don't have one, but I'm curious.

Thx
Don't feel badly, I was confused too so I called them.

There is a model that's for a Demco coupler (#2516-E) but I wasn't sure if my Demco was one of the ones it fit.

It turns out there is a special, more expensive (of course) Airstream model (#2516-AS) which has versions for both pre-2020 without Demco and 2020 and beyond with Demco couplers. The 2020 version allows the safety chains to be secured under the locked cover....not sure about the pre-2020.

The 2020 version is a new design and the verbiage and item photo in the link below don't reflect that yet. If you look down to the bottom of the web page, though, you'll see review photos of a square looking coupler on a couple of Airstreams and that's what the new ones look like for the 2020 and later trailers. Anyway, I'm glad I called them to get things straightened out before I ordered and the nice lady talked me through which options to choose.

https://www.provenlocks.com/products/model-2516-as.

Actually, it looks to be very well made and from the installation videos appears to retain the chains and go on the coupler easily and securely.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I don't mean to be a spoiler but none of these locks actually offer much protection from determined thieves. They will slow them down a bit - but only for a few minutes at most - even a Proven Lock. Less experienced thieves will probably move on to easier pickings. I have the Proven Lock and they do not lock the chains on Airstream trailers, other brands- yes. You'll need to take your chains off and take them with you so that thieves will have to bring their own chains to steal the unit. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't use a strong device to prevent theft. I just means not to rely too heavily on them.
tbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
I don't mean to be a spoiler but none of these locks actually offer much protection from determined thieves. They will slow them down a bit - but only for a few minutes at most - even a Proven Lock. Less experienced thieves will probably move on to easier pickings. I have the Proven Lock and they do not lock the chains on Airstream trailers, other brands- yes. You'll need to take your chains off and take them with you so that thieves will have to bring their own chains to steal the unit. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't use a strong device to prevent theft. I just means not to rely too heavily on them.
First off, I agree with you completely about determined thieves. The best I can hope for is that my trailer will be a little more difficult and time consuming to steal than someone else's. It's like the old joke about being with a companion in the woods. I don't have to outrun a bear, I just have to outrun my companion.

As for the chains, Proven Lock assured me that their new Airstream lock for the Demco coupler does in fact secure them. If you look at the pictures of the new square lock casing as shown in the reviews by Airstream owners on the web page I linked to above (second review from the bottom), you will see that this is so.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
You learn something new everyday. I wasn't aware there was a new version of the lock. It won't matter much whether you lock the chains or take them with you - it's easy enough either way. For those that haven't seen it, the video link below shows just how easy it is to defeat the Proven lock mechanism. It doesn't take much for a unskilled person back up to the trailer and drive away with it a few minutes later.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If 100% security is your goal, stay home.
Everything comes with a risk and locks are a start. The lock on your door at home can be defeated by a determined thief too. Or just kick in the door!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
You learn something new everyday. I wasn't aware there was a new version of the lock. It won't matter much whether you lock the chains or take them with you - it's easy enough either way. For those that haven't seen it, the video link below shows just how easy it is to defeat the Proven lock mechanism. It doesn't take much for a unskilled person back up to the trailer and drive away with it a few minutes later.
Thanks for sharing....

So, you must not use your Proven Lock then. Is that correct? I mean, if it's so easy to defeat, what's the point?

I'll answer my own question. If someone has specifically targeted a trailer, they'll likely find a way to get it. That's why I have insurance. But maybe some low-life is just cruising the campground looking for a quick target of opportunity. Maybe he hasn't had the good fortune to watch the video you just posted. Maybe he doesn't want to risk spending any extra time messing with a lock.

There are no guarantees of security and I have no illusions about it. All almost any lock can do is make it just a little more difficult to steal something. I'm guessing you're not suggesting that everyone just leave everything open and unsecured....

Old 08-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Almost all padlocks can be picked less than a minute. Easy instructions and picks avble. on internet, also battery powered hand grinder, quick work of padlocks. As stated many times thief want's it it's gone, also some hitch locks can be defeated [broken w/heavy hammer]. The master craft lock hitch lock that I have goes over & below coupler w/ bolt that goes up into ball socket, key opens door under lock then insert allan key to retract bolt. Pick lock only opens door on bottom thief then confused as to remove, cannot be removed with grinder or heavy hammer very heavy steel. They are hard to find any markets. They were manf. several sizes, smaller ones can be found on line, Large to fit AS I have never found. The I have came w/horse trailer. wife pur. yrs ago. I will post # of lock later as AS in storage.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Hilton Head Island , South Carolina
I have a Proven Industries lock for our 2020 International. The chains fit in the lock box just like they should. Easy on and off. I like it. Not much more to say.

Will it stop every thief? No. Will it deter some/many/most? I hope so.

If not, insurance and a new trailer.
TerryHHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cranberry Township , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Proven Locks has changed the puck lock design and cylinder. The one I have is stainless steel and has a Medeco cylinder and restricted keys--I wanted a couple of extra keys and they were a pain to get...

LockPickingLawyer has not updated his videos to include the new puck lock--like due to it being comparable to the ones he pitches.

-David
dah605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
After seeing the Megahitch Lock Coupler Vault Pro listed as a recommended coupler lock on AS Store and watching their Youtube video of someone trying to break into it I am giving it a try. My backup is insurance.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsasf View Post
After seeing the Megahitch Lock Coupler Vault Pro listed as a recommended coupler lock on AS Store and watching their Youtube video of someone trying to break into it I am giving it a try. My backup is insurance.
Does your 2020 Bambi have a Demco coupler? If it does, before investing $220 you might want to contact the Airstream store to make sure this coupler lock will fit it.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
My thoughts are that Proven Industries needs to up their game and make the puck out of hardened steel. It's much harder to drill than stainless as shown in the video. Paying $100.00 extra for stainless seems to be a complete waste.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:19 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Smsasf,
Check this video about your possible new purchase. Hopefully, the link works.

https://www.amazon.com/vdp/e5c093a70...f=dp_vse_rvc_1

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:50 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletoo View Post
Smsasf,

Yes, with the old couplers and latch styles.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletoo View Post
Smsasf,

You also have to make sure you use the correct bolt on the Megahitch so that the internal ball fits up more snuggly against the top of the case inside. So you do not have the wiggle room you see on the video. Looks to me like that one had the short bolt and allowed room between top of ball and and top of inside lock that gave just enough room to wiggle along side of coupler. I think the company making these went through learning experience and realized there were some fail situations in early models and then they redesigned.