Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #41
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I push the pin all the way to the lock, so the curve doesn't touch the hitch receiver. No wear on the pin, though it seems just slightly smaller than it should be and sometimes i can just feel that slack when starting up.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Beware the Master Lock receiver pin with the keyed-alike trailer hitch lock. The receiver pin uses a sleeve/bushing to increase its' diameter and that sleeve/bushing is subject to cracking or splitting. I replaced mine with a locking pin that has the correct diameter. My concern was that a failure of the bushing could go undetected and the resulting lash ("slop") could cause the smaller diameter base pin to snap

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
i ended just doing it all myself... buy the hitch and have it installed... whatever, no wonder our auto industry is in trouble... they have an obviously failing product and are not willing to replace it with a safer and better product... oh well
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #44
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
Maybe I can talk the dealer into replacing it with a better aftermarket... I'm still under warranty... What's a recommended aftermarket ?

Thanks!
I got a Reese and installed it myself on our Silverado.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep View Post
Flmgrip,

I had the same problem on our Suburban until I started using a straight hitch pin. I bet that you have a hitch pin that is curved on one end. For some reason the bent or curved end likes to "wallow" the round hole and turn in to an oval. We got our OEM hitch replaced under warranty and bought a straight hitch pin at a Tractor Supply and no problems for the last three years.

Hmmm - I have exacty the same problem on a 2008 GMC Truck, maybe i should replace the bent pin with a straight one before it gets worse

I could easily weld on a washer, but I'm never sure about welding on a vehicle and maybe messing up expensive computer stuff!!

Brian.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
flmgrip,

I agree with vajeep, check your pin. If it is the type that is "bent over" to form the "handle" that you grab to install or remove the pin, then , yes, that type will revolve or wallow around and cause that type of wear. Get a new straight pin the correct size to solve the problem.

JMHO.
1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote