Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Had the same problem on my 07 Safari.

Would have to get in the truck. Push the Manuel trailer brake and let the truck roll forward. Latch would click into place.

Solved the problem by lubricating the latch mechanism.
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried that and lubricated the snot out of it, but no luck.

Just spoke with a service writer at the dealership who suggested having the ball slightly forward when lowering the coupler on the ball. I will try that.
DCPAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Dumb question, but ... is the ball the right size?

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Dumb question, but ... is the ball the right size? (I’m good at dumb questions.)

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When coupling, I have the lever in the "UP" position, then I try to stop backing when the front of the coupler socket is just over the center of the ball. In order for the coupler to drop it needs to pull the trailer forward a tiny bit, or the truck back! I do that so the rear part of the coupler doesn't get caught on the ball. When I lower the e jack, there is a "womp", and the coupler falls on the ball and the latch slams closed without me touching it.
The second image shows the part that latches the ball. If it hits the ball, it can get caught on top of the ball and fail to drop past the ball. The pawl has to go behind the ball as the coupler is lowered. Closing the latch pulls the pawl up and wedges the ball in the coupler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 2.15.45 PM.png
Views:	34
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	363433   Click image for larger version

Name:	VTS-883-2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	363434  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I have no sound advise on this but I would love to hear hat if anything does the trick for you.
Mikebrady62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
Dumb question, but ... is the ball the right size?
It seems silly because I bought it from the dealer who sold us the trailer, but I think I need to check.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
When coupling, I have the lever in the "UP" position, then I try to stop backing when the front of the coupler socket is just over the center of the ball. In order for the coupler to drop it needs to pull the trailer forward a tiny bit, or the truck back! I do that so the rear part of the coupler doesn't get caught on the ball. When I lower the e jack, there is a "womp", and the coupler falls on the ball and the latch slams closed without me touching it.
The second image shows the part that latches the ball. If it hits the ball, it can get caught on top of the ball and fail to drop past the ball. The pawl has to go behind the ball as the coupler is lowered. Closing the latch pulls the pawl up and wedges the ball in the coupler.
This is what the service advisor suggested. I am going to try it. The funny thing is that it appears to me that the rear part that latches the ball seems to be lower than the widest part of the ball and something is keeping the coupler from going lower, but it is very hard to tell. This may very well be it. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
I have no sound advise on this but I would love to hear hat if anything does the trick for you.
With all the help I have gotten here, you bet that I will follow up. Unfortunately for me, the next dealer service appointment is May 12, so I will have plenty of time to test ideas.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale49 View Post
A light whack with a hammer pushes mine back to align the pin holes.
Alpha: Are you hitting the front of the latch or just on the coupler somewhere?
Old 03-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
The funny thing is that it appears to me that the rear part that latches the ball seems to be lower than the widest part of the ball and something is keeping the coupler from going lower
Can you use a mirror and look inside the coupler? (or, DOH, it's 2020, take a picture with your phone) and see what's stopping the ball from going farther into the coupler.
Remember, when the latch closes, the rear part gets pulled up to trap the ball.
These images are not an Airstream coupler, but the concept is the same. I' don't believe the Airstream coupler has the adjustment nut (B).
When I've had problems with other trailers, it's because the "pawl" that rear part, get's caught on top of the ball and so the coupler won't go down or latch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dl13800_2_1000.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	363446   Click image for larger version

Name:	57b1b1110f5a62ae282a5304b9eb5c35.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	363447  

Old 03-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Can you use a mirror and look inside the coupler? (or, DOH, it's 2020, take a picture with your phone) and see what's stopping the ball from going farther into the coupler.
Remember, when the latch closes, the rear part gets pulled up to trap the ball.
These images are not an Airstream coupler, but the concept is the same. I' don't believe the Airstream coupler has the adjustment nut (B).
When I've had problems with other trailers, it's because the "pawl" that rear part, get's caught on top of the ball and so the coupler won't go down or latch.
Thanks for the explanation. I looked from underneath when it was stuck, but I failed to appreciate the movement of the rear part was upward when you close the latch. I assumed it moved forward somehow and I foolishly didn't look at its operation prior to putting the truck in position. I need to operate the latch while looking at it to understand it better. If it is upward, then there seems to be an clearance issue with the ball as you describe and perhaps the rear piece is just too far forward. I do not recall seeing an adjustment mechanism, but I may have been cursing life in general by that point and not looking carefully enough.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:03 AM   #32
ers
New FC 25' Owner

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
I have the exact same issue with my 2019 25 ft FC. Very frustrating. Will follow this to learn some solutions / tricks.
ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ers View Post
I have the exact same issue with my 2019 25 ft FC. Very frustrating. Will follow this to learn some solutions / tricks.
While it is somewhat comforting to know that I am not alone, I do not think that this is a matter of learning how to make it work, although it is exactly that in the short term. The coupler is defective and needs to be fixed.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Can you see mfgr name and model number on your coupler?
Thanks to the dealer service advisor (who is being very helpful) and who contacted Airstream, I have an Atwood coupler which is no longer made. I also learned that Airstream is unaware of this problem.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...er-205813.html seems to describe the same issue on another 2019.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The Atwood coupler looks just like mine.
There must be thousands of them out there that work just fine.
Still wondering why your's doesn't.
Is that why Airstream went to the Demco coupler?
E-Trailer has a nice video on replacing the guts of the coupler.
https://www.etrailer.com/comparison....51&pc2=AT88061
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71EZysUfhCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	363483  
Old 03-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
The Atwood coupler looks just like mine.
There must be thousands of them out there that work just fine.
Still wondering why your's doesn't.
Is that why Airstream went to the Demco coupler?
E-Trailer has a nice video on replacing the guts of the coupler.
https://www.etrailer.com/comparison....51&pc2=AT88061
The service advisor quoted his Airstream contact to say that the coupler wasn't made anymore, which probably explains the change. I also found that etrailer video showing a rebuild kit. Etrailer doesn't seem to stock the kit anymore, but they must be available somewhere. It at least gives me hope that there is a fairly simple fix to the problem. I would think that the problem is in the parts and not the shape of the coupler itself. We will see.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
I also found that etrailer video showing a rebuild kit. Etrailer doesn't seem to stock the kit anymore, but they must be available somewhere.
Yes, I found it online. About $60.
Unless you like tinkering I'd let the dealer deal with it.
If you replace the innards, they might claim it's no longer a warranty item.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:45 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
I use the same method as Mollysdad with my 2017 FC. The hitch wants to be farther back than you would think. When done like that, the hitch almost falls onto the ball correctly when lowered. It is easier when the trailer wheel chocks are out so the trailer moves slightly forward as it slips onto the ball.
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:25 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC TORPEDO View Post
I use the same method as Mollysdad with my 2017 FC. The hitch wants to be farther back than you would think. When done like that, the hitch almost falls onto the ball correctly when lowered. It is easier when the trailer wheel chocks are out so the trailer moves slightly forward as it slips onto the ball.
I've been wondering how well that technique works if the trailer wheels are chocked. Obviously, you can't remove the chocks if the trailer is on a forward slope. I am looking forward to trying it and hoping it works. Nothing like spending an hour in the rain just trying to get your trailer and truck connected. Thanks for your comment.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Yes, I found it online. About $60.
Unless you like tinkering I'd let the dealer deal with it.
If you replace the innards, they might claim it's no longer a warranty item.
That's the frustrating part. Assuming that those parts are the problem, it looks easy to fix and so I have the nearly irresistible urge to fix it, but I don't want to affect my warranty.