Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2024, 05:04 PM   #1
Hi Ho Silver!

2024 25' Trade Wind
Sherwood , Wisconsin
Cost of hitch installation

We got a quote of $500 from our dealer to install our weight distribution hitch (see below). They said it was a three hour installation. Is this a reasonable amount? 🤔
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240618_175401.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	444457  
Stevienext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:26 PM   #2
Master Chief BT

2018 27' International
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevienext View Post
We got a quote of $500 from our dealer to install our weight distribution hitch (see below). They said it was a three hour installation. Is this a reasonable amount? 🤔
Just to install? $165 per hour? Seems like a whole lot to me. Hitch is all bolt on for the most part. Any reason why you don’t want to do it yourself?
WBCCI#11290
US Navy (ret) Master Chief Boiler Technician
BTCMUSN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 05:34 PM   #3
Hi Ho Silver!

2024 25' Trade Wind
Sherwood , Wisconsin
We were surprised at the cost, too. Not sure we know how to install one, but we'll look into it.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:44 PM   #4
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
We were surprised at the cost, too. Not sure we know how to install one, but we'll look into it.
That hitch comes pre-assembled. There’s almost nothing to the installation on your vehicle/trailer. I installed ours with no special tools/knowledge. It is very straightforward. Less than an hour of time if you’re working slowly and figuring it out as you go.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Does that include the cost of the hitch itself (not sure what they retail for). Our dealer installed out hitch for free when we bought our Airstream. I had gotten a quote from another company nearby when there was some question if the dealer would install the hitch we already had (since we had it from our previous setup and didn't buy it from them) and it was under $100 if I believe for the install of a BlueOx Sway Pro (comparable level of install complexity). $500 feels like Pro Pride level of install, and even then, I'd wonder if that was them telling me they really didn't want to do the work.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:33 PM   #6
Hi Ho Silver!

2024 25' Trade Wind
Sherwood , Wisconsin
Good to hear. ��
Old 06-18-2024, 06:34 PM   #7
Hi Ho Silver!

2024 25' Trade Wind
Sherwood , Wisconsin
We paid for the hitch, so the quote is just for labor.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:39 PM   #8
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
We paid for the hitch, so the quote is just for labor.
What!?!

I assumed the quoted price of $500 included the cost for the hitch itself, too.

$500 for labor alone is robbery. If you are buying or bought an Airstream trailer from them - - find another dealer.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
I would find local help for a 18 pack of non budweiser.

It is not complicated and it does not take 1-2-3 hours to do it.

Why can't you do it?
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I think that is reasonable to pay to have it done.--We have an equalizer and for that you do need a special torque wrench that does 320 foot pounds for the hitch. If you don't want to buy the tool then you will need to pay them.

Many small businesses have menu pricing to assure that they hit a scenario where the are assured to not loose money on a job. (they have real costs for employee time, tools, schedulers, billing etc). So that 3 hours might just be a shop appointment set fee/minumum.

Maybe ask them if if that 3 hours is a menu price or some kind of minimum. If they have a 3 hour minimum to do any job, there may be a few other things you would want them to do at the same time.

Ideas would be an extra tube at the bottom for a second stinky slinky, covers on your fantastic fans, etc.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Three hours at shop rate seems on the high end to me.

Colonial Airstream provided the hitch (Eq) and installed it for free as part of our 22 GT purchase, so hitches are not exactly a big deal for dealers. Is this a stand alone job, I.e. not associated with a purchase?

As stated, if you have the tools and some mechanical ability, it is not a huge job. I recently had to do some reconditioning on my new to me 2019 FC 25RBT Husky Centerline TS hitch and the only thing I didn’t have was a torque wrench capable of 380 ft lbs. My son (who is a heavy diesel mechanic) brought his tools this past weekend to help me move the head assembly on the shank, so I could line it up for my truck, vs the previous owners SUV.

I’d guess it would take maybe 30 minutes to an hour, tops, to put mine on, maybe longer if it was the first time. If you know your hitch model no, you can download the User Manual pdf for free, and it should list the tools you need to install, and guide you through the process.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 06:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Do it yourself.
Not only will you save $500, but my experience is the dealer won't get it perfect anyway. (their goal is speed)
But the real advantage is knowing how everything works. Someday you'll adjust it and have to decide "More bar tension or move the head one hole up?"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 08:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I think that is reasonable to pay to have it done.-- .

Absolutely not. But if your in the position of money is not an object then thats that.

If I could charge $500 to install trailer hitches for people, I would start my own business doing just that.

ETA: And if someone is willing to pay me 500$ in South Texas, I will gladly take your cash and install a hitch in a half hour.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
But the real advantage is knowing how everything works. Someday you'll adjust it and have to decide "More bar tension or move the head one hole up?"
Yep.

I just did that here at our campsite in Defuniak Springs FL in fact.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:31 AM   #15
FYS
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Took me about 2 hours by myself the first time I did it. There was a lot of measuring, bolting and adjusting, checking, then bolting and adjusting, then measuring again with level. I bought the big wrenches and torque wrench, so I can always repeat them in the future when I change the payload or tow vehicle. Besides, we are supposed to check the torque on a routine basis.
FYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:44 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Southern , California
Im2bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 01:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im2bent View Post

Looks like a good design, I like it.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
What TOW VEHICLE are you USING?

Quote:
We got a quote of $500 from our dealer to install our weight distribution hitch (see below). They said it was a three hour installation. Is this a reasonable amount? ��
Unless I missed it... Tow Vehicle? That determines your options.

I tow a 27FBQ International, on the Ball, towing with a 2016 F350 4x4 Diesel. I tow an Oliver Elite II on the Ball, as well.

Never a problem, still living and never in an accident. Tow Vehicle used is as important as the Airstream you are going to be towing.

Your Tow Vehicle being used should be added to your Thread. If it is a 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 pickup... might want a refund for that hitch. Their Insurance Company may also have some influence in this charge.
Old 06-19-2024, 04:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
3 hours? It took me about 4 hours to do the Propride hitch which is far more complicated. And I had never done it before.

And when the dealer installed my original Blue Ox they did a terrible job. Had to basically do it myself again.

So $500 is highway robbery. An experienced person installing a typical hitch shouldn't take more than an hour.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 07:58 AM   #20
Boba911

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Warwick , Rhode Island
This is a very simple hitch to install. I have the same one and the most difficult part of the install was setting up the spring bars to get the truck ant the trailer level. You do need a good size torque wrench, but you can purchase this at HD for less than $100. As others have said, you will need the wrench in the future to make sure everything stays tight.
Boba911 is offline   Reply With Quote