Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
correct ball angle?

does this look right?

tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It could be.....depends upon how much WD is required with the proper chain or spring bar end links are. Need more info, including measurements and weights.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
I had 4 links loose before I adjusted the angle. Now one maybe two will be loose. The trailer is not on a level grade right now.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It is convention, generally, to discuss the number of links under tension, not loose. I am not too familiar with your brand, but the Reese is usually discussed with no more than 6 links under tension. Head tilt is then adjusted to give the correct WD with 6 links under tension.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
I am 7 now but on level ground will most likely be a 6.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Monroe , Washington
Hello,

According to the picture, you have an Eaz-lift Elite. From the manual:

Spacers are supplied in order to gain the correct downward angle of spring bars. Before hooking up, spring bars should hang down at a 10 to 13 degree angle when the ball mount has been tilted back at a 6 to 8 degree angle. After hooking up, spring bars should be parallel with trailer frame, or at a slight angle up or down. Readjust degree of tilt on the ball mount if you have more than 5 links of chain hanging free. The number of links should be the same on both bars.

Instructions from the manufacturer

I get the impression from the manual that the goal is mostly to get the spring bars parallel to the frame. You don't want the bars angled up, with only a few links between the bars and the frame and more than five links hanging free.

Bruce
coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is a good "Airstream Life" article by Andrew Thomson explaining well how a downward tilt similar to yours helps stability of the tow vehicle in turns, and also helps return a trailer to center line.

I don't know if this article is available on the internet, anyone else?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I have found this very interesting and come to the conclusion my ball angle may not be correct. As a result, I found some good info. on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts site under the topic: WD hitches have the ball tilted back. Moving from a Ford Expedition to a F-250 truck has made a huge improvement on handling our 31ft. trailer. But every now and then under certain conditions it seems the truck struggles to handle the AS and I think my ball being set more correctly would help out. For now, my ball is set level. I think I have some work cut out for me :-)
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Ball angle just sets the initial zero point angle from which the start to develop tension in the bars. The idea is to not have it too far forward that you do not have enough angle left to give you sufficient tension when they are camed up. If the ball is tilled too far back, you can not get the bars into the trunion pockets. To finer tune it the bars in the final position will have enough links between them an the anchor point on the trailer A frame to be able to swing a little when you are turning a corner. Usually that is about 5 links under tension with 3 hanging free without tension. I usually paint the link I will be putting on the hook white so I do not have to count.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
There is a good "Airstream Life" article by Andrew Thomson explaining well how a downward tilt similar to yours helps stability of the tow vehicle in turns, and also helps return a trailer to center line.

I don't know if this article is available on the internet, anyone else?

doug k
I agree with the downward tilt theory. I am looking for the article.....very good one.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here it is:

Installing_Hitch_by_Andy_Thomspon.pdf

Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks for finding the article, one of Andrew Thomson's most useful writings for most of us.

I had an Equal-I-Zer hitch that I felt was not providing much friction sway resistance, so I tilted the head towards the trailer and it helped with the handling overall.

But because the Equal-I-Zer has the most rigid w.d. bars of all of them, I became worried the A-frame was under too much stress (even more with the hitch head tilted back) when going over deep driveway approaches, and bought an Andersen hitch.

The Andersen hitch uses an entirely different friction method, and there are no w.d. bars at all. The w.d. is done with chains pulling horizontally below the bottom of the ball, so hitch head angle has no effect.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Thank you for all the information. My one concern is the added stress to the trailer a-frame. The frame is 35 years old. Should I be concerned?