Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #41
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
Scroll up a few posts to Rgentum's post: had a Propride, went back to a Blue Ox.....
His choice to evolve backwards.
Whatever floats your bote.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #42

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Had the rest, PPP is the best!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:53 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Your's is better because it cost more.

If I had a $10,000 hitch, you sure wouldn't hear me on a forum saying, "I can't tell any improvement over the $500 hitch!"

In my case actually not, have a Blue Ox and perfectly happy, no bad habits just extra step to hitch/unhitch. In fact just reduce number of links by one which softened the ride a hair and made the hitching process easier.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Observation:
1) Those that tow shorter AS (25' and less) without a Propride and with a 3/4 ton or more; experience less issues with bow affect, etc. Those that tow with a 1/2 ton seem to be more inclined to like the Propride vs. other hitches.
2) Those with longer trailers it is kind of a toss up. I have a 28' and there was a significant difference from the Blue Ox to the Propride. Would it have been the same if I had a 3/4 ton or more? Not sure. But then again I didn't want to buy a 3/4 ton. The hitch was a more cost effective approach.

I still have my Blue Ox. If I ever get a 3/4 ton and a newer AS or different type of RV, I guess I'll try it out and see what happens.

Not saying this is true all the time, but seems to be a trend.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Pro Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
I have an equal-i-zer hitch now, and have always been satisfied, but its the only thing I have ever towed my Airstream with. I do feel the forces of passing semi trucks, but I think its a stretch to say I have a problem I need to solve. My real question is if any of you have real world experience before/after upgrading to ProPride (or hensley), how much better is it really ? I read some posts that say never go back, and others that say the equalizer is more than good, so if the equalizer is the second best (or third best) option behind propride/hensley, I am trying to get a sense of the value add if I move forward. In general, I am of a mind to have good solutions, not just whatever I have on hand. I like having the better/best options when practical and economically feasible, and the ProPride is significantly more money than the equal-i-zer so if you have real experience with both, I would be grateful to hear your pros and cons, including the relative value (factoring in the cost difference).

The Pro Pride Hitch is marvelous and worth every cent for security and safety. We have been towing for 11 years with this hitch and it has "saved the day" in high cross winds, semi vortices, and wind gusts on bridges.....

There are only two down sides:
1) Cost
2) Learning curve to hitch and unhitch. Both quite surmountable ..lots of videos for same!

To help with the hitching process, we spray painted orange paint on the ( 1/2") EDGE of the receptacle opening on the hitch head....and then painted the stinger orange...helps with hitching in shadows.

Again...the two most "vulnerable" locations when towing are your RV tires ( we use a TMS ) and the hitch mechanism. In all honesty the cost to insure that the tires and the hitch is the BEST....is worth the security, safety and peace of mind when towing..we all most likely have personally witnessed towing disasters, experienced "near misses" ourselves, or read about specific disasters.

Travel safely...blessings....Zigi.....
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
I adjust my Equilizer myself because it was not well installed by the dealer (Had a feeling about that) and even came loose!! Since then, I have seen many Equilizer Hitch not well adjusted at all. Set screw not tightned up, weight distribution Not well adjusted on each axle, trailer pitch not adjusted. Bars not parallel to the trailer so it makes way more noise and does not wear evenly. Make Your Equal-i-Zer Hitch is well installed, adjusted, the trailer pitch perfect level, proper torque and used to its full capacity before changing :-0)
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
I have an equal-i-zer hitch now, and have always been satisfied, but its the only thing I have ever towed my Airstream with. I do feel the forces of passing semi trucks, but I think its a stretch to say I have a problem I need to solve. My real question is if any of you have real world experience before/after upgrading to ProPride (or hensley), how much better is it really ? I read some posts that say never go back, and others that say the equalizer is more than good, so if the equalizer is the second best (or third best) option behind propride/hensley, I am trying to get a sense of the value add if I move forward. In general, I am of a mind to have good solutions, not just whatever I have on hand. I like having the better/best options when practical and economically feasible, and the ProPride is significantly more money than the equal-i-zer so if you have real experience with both, I would be grateful to hear your pros and cons, including the relative value (factoring in the cost difference).
I did just that. I used the Equal-i-zer for several years. Since the switch, I haven't looked back. Certainly a good decision.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #48
Ebb and Flo

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Bob nailed it on the first response.

That said, yes, i feel passing semi tractors a little in certain circumstances like high cross wind when they pass me.

Ebb - 2015 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Flo - 2012 30' International Serenity
davidlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
His choice to evolve backwards.
Whatever floats your bote.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Love my Blue Ox.
Phantom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
2021 30' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Saddle pads

The proper torque on the head bolts 60 ft lbs and the 2 equalizer nylon saddle block pads stop 90% of those noises

Quote:
I forgot to ask in my original post if the ProPride approach eliminates, or substantially reduces the "screeching" and "poping" noises that originate from most other WD hitch solutions ...
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
2021 30' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Pro pride

I’ve noticed KYD has no problem spending money on upgrades for trucks or trailers.

He had a ProPride with a F-250 towing a Grand Design. When he bought
his current Airsteam used he did not replace its hitch with a ProPride. Last season
they traveled well over 10,000 miles.

I tried asking Marc about a ProPride but no answer back yet.I know Moosetags really likes his hitch.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #52
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlbriggs View Post
Bob nailed it on the first response.

That said, yes, i feel passing semi tractors a little in certain circumstances like high cross wind when they pass me.
Yes, and I'll bet it doesn't happen when the bow wave hits the AS.
With the haha it's when he's along side the 'Burb and even then it doesn't require a steering correction.

Stream Happy

What I noticed on our first shakedown....on a curved entrance ramp I looked in my side mirror and I swore it appeared the rig was turning as a single unit, no kink at the ball. Granted, sharp turns are different, but that was my first impression.
Anyone else?

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Penn Laird , Virginia
I’ve used extensively a Reese with the friction pad, the Reese with dual cam sway control, a Blue Ox, a Hensley, and now a Pro Pride. I find the Pro Pride far superior to all else. Both the Hensley and the Pro Pride project the swivel point 54 inches forward to over the truck rear axel, as with a fifth wheel, but the Pro Pride does a better job of weight redistribution than the Hensley. Hensley videos and instructions actually state that you no longer have to pay any regard to tongue weight, that you can load all you want into the rear of the trailer, and that you need not give ant regard to weight redistribution, except to “get a smoother ride”! Pro Pride is grounded in science and engineering rather than sales hype. Pro Pride has an adjustable stinger whereas Hensley has not. With the Hensley the stinger drop was done by trial and error. With the Pro Pride adjustable stinger you get it right the first time, and if you ever switch trailers all the components will still work.
evamcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
considering upgrade from equal-i-zer to ProPride

The only thing I’ve noticed different about the ProPride is that the airstream tracks like it’s a fifth wheel setup. It comes far into the inside of a hard turn, and I need to swing a little wide to compensate. It’s a little disconcerting the first time you turn tight.

Have never had trouble hitching, unhitching, or backing, and it never makes noise.

When I was looking at the Jim Hensley design hitches the ProPride was easier to install and adjust, and Sean Woodruff’s customer support was much better. No BS, for one, and patience answering my ‘engineering questions’.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom98 View Post
Love my Blue Ox.
I do, too, but, I'll also admit, my AS is a 20', not a 30'.... If I had a 25' or longer AS, I might very well join the ProPride crowd... for my 20FC, I'll stick w/ the BlueOx....
Old 03-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
We've towed with anti-sway, Hensley, and ProPride. When we bought our two year-old used Airstream from a dealer it came with a Hensley. The difference with our prior trailer and anti-sway bars was noticeable. With our sway bars, trucks passing us from behind caused the front of the TV to have a slight tendency to move to the right, whereas with the Hensley the front of the TV tended to nudge to the left - as if the trailer and TV were a single unit which, geometrically they were.

After a few years with the Hensley, a weld broke at the head attach point for the right sway bar. Since we bought it as a used hitch, Hensley wanted an astronomical price for a rebuilt head.

We bought a ProPride instead, and my wife and I installed it ourselves. The geometry is the same, but the larger square tube has made hitching up much easier. BTW, Jim Hensley designed both hitches and incorporated some updates over the original Hensley that Hensley wasn't willing to license, so Jim brought out the ProPride.

We've never had any sway with either hitch and wouldn't consider going back to any of the cheaper hitches.
Phil&Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:04 PM   #57

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
The Pro Pride Hitch is marvelous and worth every cent for security and safety. We have been towing for 11 years with this hitch and it has "saved the day" in high cross winds, semi vortices, and wind gusts on bridges.....

There are only two down sides:
1) Cost
2) Learning curve to hitch and unhitch. Both quite surmountable ..lots of videos for same!

To help with the hitching process, we spray painted orange paint on the ( 1/2") EDGE of the receptacle opening on the hitch head....and then painted the stinger orange...helps with hitching in shadows.

Again...the two most "vulnerable" locations when towing are your RV tires ( we use a TMS ) and the hitch mechanism. In all honesty the cost to insure that the tires and the hitch is the BEST....is worth the security, safety and peace of mind when towing..we all most likely have personally witnessed towing disasters, experienced "near misses" ourselves, or read about specific disasters.

Travel safely...blessings....Zigi.....

Old 03-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #58

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The only thing I’ve noticed different about the ProPride is that the airstream tracks like it’s a fifth wheel setup. It comes far into the inside of a hard turn, and I need to swing a little wide to compensate. It’s a little disconcerting the first time you turn tight.

Have never had trouble hitching, unhitching, or backing, and it never makes noise.

When I was looking at the Jim Hensley design hitches the ProPride was easier to install and adjust, and Sean Woodruff’s customer support was much better. No BS, for one, and patience answering my ‘engineering questions’.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #59
Sojourner69

1969 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
I've pulled my 1969 25' Trade Wind with a Reese hitch behind 7 or 8 different vehicles, just having a welding shop move the hitch vertically to match the vehicle. Tows smoothly with minimal sway in winds and when passing trucks. I have to remind my copilot when driving: "Slow down, you're towing a trailer." I imagine a Hensley would be even smoother, but there's so much more to do with 1700 bucks.
Sojourner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:19 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Many thanks to all the contributors on this thread, and I’ve seen a couple other threads pop up expressing similar praise for the product and especially so for the PP customer service. Very encouraging indeed. Also common mention of the cost, so as a closing inquiry, are any of you aware of any promotions, or discounts, for the PP ? To ask another way, are they always selling at full retail price, or can we anticipate an occasional “deal” for a new unit ?
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote