Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgblake13 View Post
GOUSC, thanks. I have been using the Equalizer without any issues so far. I have only towed for about 2000 miles but I have yet to experience any sway. I don't mind the squeaks and pops but a smoother ride would be better for the trailer. I checked out the Gen-y hitch website. Do you know what model you have that can use the Equalizer sway bars? I am sure I can talk to the company directly but since you are an experience user a link on their website or a picture of your set up would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
I have a 31' Classic slider and an F250. I had previously added Firestone air bags and Equilizer hitch. Hard winds and semi's don't bother me at all. I believe if you added the air bags, your problem would go away, and a lot cheaper too.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Always wanted to ask. Which hitches require disconnecting anything on them in order to back up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Since the Hensley design hitches, both the ProPride and Hensley Manufacturing versions, use a ball bearing system and a trapezoidal linkage to prevent sway, no noise. The popping and screeching noises come from the other friction or cam-type systems.

These hitches also DO NOT require disconnecting anything to back up when hitched. Near as I can tell they are silent in normal use. Yes, I tow with a ProPride system. Have used other WD only systems, and will not do that to myself again...

It does require a little bit of practice, and a backup camera is a huge help in hitching up. I have never had a hitching situation, including at extreme angles, that was impossible.

Sometimes it does take a bit of fiddling to get lined up right, but I find it much easier to hitch up a ProPride because I donít have to install WD barsóthey stay on the Airstream. All I have to do is back into the hitch properly, latch it, and tension the WD bars. Easy for this certified old phart.

Admittedly I cheat a little with my custom powered WD jacks, but hey, Iím old, tired, and into being head of the local Overkill Engineering Department. I just got tired of using the supplied ratchet wrench to tension the bars. I just hit the switch and measure the height of the jacks. Some day Iíll automate this as well.

See below:

Attachment 389973
gandttimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
As far as I know, only those hitches that use anti-sway bars that attach between the A frame and a small ball mounted on the tow head. They are the ones with friction material sandwiched between two narrow frames.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Oh, right,I have seen those. Makes sense,thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
As far as I know, only those hitches that use anti-sway bars that attach between the A frame and a small ball mounted on the tow head. They are the ones with friction material sandwiched between two narrow frames.
gandttimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
I spent last summer with an Equalizer, and bought the PropRide for our brand new 2021 27f Globetrotter. As others already said, the driving experience is completely unreal. My car (Mercedes G550) feels as if I don't have a trailer at all, absolutely no sway nor any lateral movement.

Things to note:

- we upgraded to the Straptek bands and replaced the towers (they are for sale in Classifieds) so that we can use our front storage. With the bands the process is even faster, absolutely no noise and a much cleaner look. However you have to hold the main unit with one hand while someone else reverses the car to hitch up. Not having the metal bars pushing the unit downwards however gives you much more freedom to hitch up in uneven terrain. Buy them here: https://store.propridehitch.com/lipp...echnology-kit/

- hitching up: both my gf and I were anxious doing it the first 20-30 times, it is definitely more of a headache to align the car, have the unit facing upwards, using hitch lube every time etc. But as other said, the benefits of driving exceed the hassle.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #26

2020 27' Globetrotter
Danvers , Massachusetts
following
AndrewF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #27
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
I have had my ProPride for about six years. My main problem is forgetting that I am towing a trailer. Had problems at first learning how to connect but now it is no problem. I would recommend the ProPride.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have had the same trailer with the same hitch for over 15 years. My first tow vehicle used this set up for over 10 years. My second tow vehicle has done the rest.

My first big trip was from Southern California to Alaska and back. This was for 50 days and over 10,000 miles.

My second big trip was our cross country trip, from Oregon to Maine to South Carolina, and back to Oregon which was for 3 1/2 months and over 13,000 miles.

I have towed in weather conditions that most of the Airstream Forum members would have stayed at home. [Bob, Lee, and Dusty's Random Trips.]

In all of this time my trailer has only once swayed violently out of control. My trailer was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Basic rig: Ram/Cummins + AS 27 FC.

I did a comparison with my rig:

1. Blue Ox w/1K lb bars.

2. Blue Ox as above + AirSafe air-ride system.

3. ProPride alone (as it will not accept an AirSafe).

Results:

Drove cross country & back (9K miles) with bare Blue Ox: Lots of popped rivets; lots of cabinets opened with contents on floor, including microwave several times.

Bought & installed AirSafe Hitch (approx. $1K) to the Blue Ox: Much smoother ride; eliminated rivet popping and contents on floor.

Removed Blue Ox + AirSafe/Bought & installed ProPride (approx. $3K): Much harsher ride; co-pilot could no longer read while I drove; I could tell no improvement with respect to weight distribution, swerving, trucks passing in opposite direction, sway, etc.

Sold ProPride & Re-installed Blue Ox w/AirSafe, now 15K miles later. Smooth ride; no problems to date.

Addendum: Bought & installed Lippert "Strap-Tek" System (approx. $150+ at discount), which greatly improves setting the weight distribution bars:
https://store.lci1.com/straptek-weig...it-335852.html
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
ProPride on my Globetrotter 27FBT, towing with a F-250. I went this route to begin with. I’ve hooked up many trailers (not the travel sort) on a ball and find the ProPride much easier to get right the first time.

As for driving with the ProPride, I don’t know what sway is. I took the thing to Alaska and back and on some pretty rough roads and in some sections, with a lot of trucks passing me in both directions. Nothing. I like to keep things simple, and every once in a while I wonder if something will go wrong with it and leave me stranded because you can’t exactly get parts for the thing at the nearest PepBoys. But it’s about as bombproof as a hitch can get.

With the 250 I don’t need a lot of tension on the bars.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:56 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
ride quality

Thanks all for continuing to post experiences, and suggestions. The feedback has resulted in a new question I did not anticipate, but several have mentioned the ride harshness/ride quality aspect, including popped rivets due to stiffness of towing. Several also mention airbags as a candidate solution to solve that, and I was not thinking that was part of my need, but I absolutely observe popped rivets, opened cabinets, moved cushions, etc during a longer tow, so I conclude ride harshness is relevant to my current setup (reminder I have the Equal-i-zer 14K head with 1400lb bars). If I do nothing other than change to PP will my ride harshness be diminished ? I realize the WD bars have adjustable tension with the PP solution, but I have not seen any mention of how you can set the pressure level in a scientific way (lbs) only that you adjust to bring the bars parallel to the trailer frame.

Do any of you that use the PP hitch also have air bags in the suspension of your tow vehicle ? At least one post suggest the PP is equal in harshness to the Equal-i-zer, so my initial thought is I won't gain much, only the ability to adjust the bar tension but maybe that is enough ? I have an F-250 with otherwise standard springs and suspension (no HD package, no snow plow pkg, etc).
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #32
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
considering upgrade from equal-i-zer to ProPride

I have supplemental air bags in my GMC 2500 for leveling which fully loaded. Rear air is a factory
Option with Ram.

If anything it makes the ride slightly firmer. Iíve towed with propride with and without the airbags.

1,400 lb bars are the way to go with propride and a 900lb+ tongue weight trailer. If you have an f250 you donít need very much WD especially if you have an 800lb Diesel engine up front which keeps the front end anchored on the ground.

The propride with 1,400lb bars is less harsh on the trailer as compared to an equalizer with 1,000 lb bars. At least in my experience.

Iíd recommend you start out without air bags.

Ps - I only have air bags because I am within 500lbs of my 6,200lb rear axle GAWR when fully loaded. I carry a lot of stuff - camper cap, roof top tent, decked drawer system, tools, camping gear, extra fridge/freezer, genset, dogs, people, etc etc.

Really they just re-level the rear end 2Ē up so headlights are not bothering other drivers. You need to re-calibrate WD with air bags engaged - which is very convenient / easy with propride. I like the flexibility to dynamically add spring rate on the rear end with air bags. Air bags do not increase your GAWR, they only help with leveling, which of course is not a substitute for correctly calibrated WD which must be achieved with or without air suspension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2074.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	390084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2078.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	520.3 KB
ID:	390085  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:05 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
2 things I have noticed when reading posts about hitches:

1. I have never seen a ProPride owner say I didnít like the performance of the ProPride and replaced it with an Equalizer or Blue Ox.
2. The only posts Iíve seen that have NOT praised the performance of the ProPride are the people that have never owned one.

Iíve towed with the Equalizer, then a Blue Ox and now a ProPride. I now enjoy towing my 23í; no more white-knuckle driving. Yes, there is a learning curve, but itís short. And they are expensive. But when you consider the safety of your family, the investment youíve made in your Airstream and your TV, and the shear joy of being on the road without constant worry, the ProPride more than pays for itself.
missaviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Awww. You just ruined the argument of why mines better...
Your's is better because it cost more.
If I had a $10,000 hitch, you sure wouldn't hear me on a forum saying, "I can't tell any improvement over the $500 hitch!"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:14 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgblake13 View Post
GOUSC, thanks. I have been using the Equalizer without any issues so far. I have only towed for about 2000 miles but I have yet to experience any sway. I don't mind the squeaks and pops but a smoother ride would be better for the trailer. I checked out the Gen-y hitch website. Do you know what model you have that can use the Equalizer sway bars? I am sure I can talk to the company directly but since you are an experience user a link on their website or a picture of your set up would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
Gregg- attached is a picture all greased up as we are in travel status. Basically, you take the equalizer hitch head assembly off of the equalizer shank and attach it to the gen-y shank. Easy job.
I tow a 27FB Globetrotter with a 2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD diesel. My to tongue weight is around 1,150.
My gen-y is the torsion flex 16k / 2 1/2Ē shank. It is rated for tongue weights of 1,000 - to around 1,700. I think you have to decide on a 6Ē or 9Ē drop depending on the height of your TV receiver. Mine is the 6Ē (smaller) one.

As an aside- I use 1,000lb equilizer bars. Since I have a 3/4 ton truck I donít need the weight distribution as much as I need sway control. I personally feel 1,200 or 1,400 bars would be overkill for my situation and a much rougher tow experience. I have noticed no sway issues / no porpoising / no noise /etc with this setup. My wife and I shared driving and no issues for either of us. As others have Stated, we donít even know the RV is behind us.

I will say that I did go Thru the process of the 3 pass weighing at the CAT scales to fine tune my setup. It took more than one time to do this. I feel you should do this with any set up you choose; otherwise you may spend extra $$ís and still not have a good ride. There are many good systems out there. You just need to find the one that fits your situation
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DB6BF0ED-6ACA-4C3E-A302-F3848EF003C8.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	390094  
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #36
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Interesting how most all of the advice about the PPP's is proffered without any experience with them.
I'll mention again, if you haven't pulled your rig with one you know nothing but the price.
BTW how much do you have invested in the AS,TV & Family. Set peace of mind aside.

PPP causing a harsh ride has been mentioned several times.
They do NOT cause it.

Harsh ride is caused by an improper lash-up, overrated WD bars and overly stiff TV suspension.
An auto-tune hitch is not needed, get a proper set-up and the co-pilot will be able to snooze & read.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
17 Seasons SFSG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A2D9B405-2072-4B64-A2D5-522A13A1B5AE_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	390095  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by missaviatrix View Post
2 things I have noticed when reading posts about hitches:

1. I have never seen a ProPride owner say I didnít like the performance of the ProPride and replaced it with an Equalizer or Blue Ox.
2. The only posts Iíve seen that have NOT praised the performance of the ProPride are the people that have never owned one.

Scroll up a few posts to Rgentum's post: had a Propride, went back to a Blue Ox.....
Old 03-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sykesville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
Gregg- attached is a picture all greased up as we are in travel status. Basically, you take the equalizer hitch head assembly off of the equalizer shank and attach it to the gen-y shank. Easy job.
I tow a 27FB Globetrotter with a 2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD diesel. My to tongue weight is around 1,150.
My gen-y is the torsion flex 16k / 2 1/2Ē shank. It is rated for tongue weights of 1,000 - to around 1,700. I think you have to decide on a 6Ē or 9Ē drop depending on the height of your TV receiver. Mine is the 6Ē (smaller) one.

As an aside- I use 1,000lb equilizer bars. Since I have a 3/4 ton truck I donít need the weight distribution as much as I need sway control. I personally feel 1,200 or 1,400 bars would be overkill for my situation and a much rougher tow experience. I have noticed no sway issues / no porpoising / no noise /etc with this setup. My wife and I shared driving and no issues for either of us. As others have Stated, we donít even know the RV is behind us.

I will say that I did go Thru the process of the 3 pass weighing at the CAT scales to fine tune my setup. It took more than one time to do this. I feel you should do this with any set up you choose; otherwise you may spend extra $$ís and still not have a good ride. There are many good systems out there. You just need to find the one that fits your situation
Thank you very much! I also have a GMC Sierra 2500HD diesel and a 27ft globetrotter. I have not had any issues with the equalizer but like I said it can't hurt to soften the ride to prevent damage to the trailer. The Gen-y hitch design makes sense to me so I just ordered the same one that you have. Have a great trip!
mgblake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sykesville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I have a 31' Classic slider and an F250. I had previously added Firestone air bags and Equilizer hitch. Hard winds and semi's don't bother me at all. I believe if you added the air bags, your problem would go away, and a lot cheaper too.
Thanks Pappy, I really haven't had any problems with my equalizer so far but I will keep the air bags in mind in the future.
mgblake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
My cousin spent 18k on his 27' Jayco, and $650 on an equalizer (3.6% of his Jayco inv.) I spent 90k on my 25' Int, and 3k on my Hensley, (3.3% of my AS Inv.)
We all spent 5x the amount of a Jayco to enjoy the serenity of an Airstream. Do we sleep better in the AS or does our food taste better...No! If we are willing to spend 5x the amount to enjoy the serenity of an Airstream. Why not 5X the amount on a Hensley or Pro Pride when you can actually feel a difference, and lessen the chance of a mishap.

I am very confident when towing, though sway elimination is very different than sway prevention. After driving 3,500 miles on ice, 30 mph cross winds, semi's, traffic...etc, I'm ready for elimination! My Hensley will be delivered tomorrow, though I won't have a chance to tow for a few weeks. Im looking forward to doing a side by side comparison.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote