Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
CAT Scale Alternatives? 100 Miles Away!

My nearest CAT scale is 100 miles and 4 summits away. It's possible to do in a day, but it would be a heck of a day because it is a mountain road to cross.

Anyway, I only ever see mention of CAT scales. I would imagine that any type of commercial truck scale could be used, right? Assuming they would allow a guy with a trailer to come in. Are there any portable scale one could use?
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Any metal recycler/buyer will have scales and if you ask nicely, I am sure you can get a print out of what you need.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
My nearest CAT scale is 100 miles and 4 summits away. It's possible to do in a day, but it would be a heck of a day because it is a mountain road to cross.

Anyway, I only ever see mention of CAT scales. I would imagine that any type of commercial truck scale could be used, right? Assuming they would allow a guy with a trailer to come in. Are there any portable scale one could use?
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
CAT is a brand name, widely used and perhaps more recognizable because of its distinctive logo and signage. For many, CAT scales to truck scales have become synonymous as Kleenex is to facial tissue. CAT scales are certified, but most public scales are and there may be regulations that they be periodically tested and certified. Unless a truck stop is particularly busy, they should be happy to weigh you as they charge the same as for the big rigs. I believe the resolution on these scales is typically 20#, that is the weight will be displayed in 20# increments. The last time I did this, they were charging under $10.

I personally think it is good etiquette to check with the scale operator before driving onto the scales. Sometimes the button for the intercom isn't too handy unless you're sitting in a Peterbuilt, and so my DW goes inside so I can more easily communicate via cell phone or walkie talkie in a sometimes very noisy environment. It also makes it handy for her to pay and bring the printout while I park. Truck scales are segmented into at least 3 sections to provide separate readings for the steer, drive and trailer axles. It helps to have your left mirror set so you can see your rear wheels to be sure all are on the right segments. Depending on your rig and the scales, you may have to jockey back and forth a bit before the operator sees your steer axle register as we tend to be lighter than the big boys. Once he gets your weights, pull off and park completely out off the way. If you need to tweak your adjustments, you can drive around for a reweigh. They typically charge a buck or two for each reweigh within 24 hours.

It is also a good idea to get a weights of the solo TV to know what weights are on the front and rear axles as a baseline to see what really changes when the TT is hitched up.

Agricultural Co-ops, cotton gins, moving & storage businesses, and gravel pits often have scales and may be agreeable to weigh you. Call ahead to find out. They are often a long single segment scales and require several individual weighings and some math to figure it out. An assistant here can be helpful also. Pull as far forward as you can so that the steer axles are fully onboard but the drive axles are off the scales. Have the operator record that 1st weight, then pull forward towards the midpoint of the scales to get a weight on the combined steer and drive axles with trailer axles just off the scales. Again, the operator should record this 2nd reading. This will be your total TV hitched weight. Subtract the 1st from the 2nd and you will have your drive axle weight. Then pull forward so that all axles are on the scales. This reading is obviously your total weight. From this subtract your 2nd reading and you will have the weight on the trailer axle(s). You could confirm this by pulling forward enough so the the TV is off the scales leaving only the trailer onboard. If you really wanted to know if there was much difference left to right on the trailer and there are no rails or obstacles to keep you from doing so, go back around and get a weight with only 1 side of the trailer on the scales, then subtract it from the trailer weight and you'll know what each side weighs.

I've heard that some weigh stations leave their scales on when the station is unmanned. Look for any signs that prohibit trespassing. It might be a good idea to contact the state agency responsible for the weigh station to find out if that is permitted. Your assistant may be able to view and record the readings through the window. Some weigh stations have newer technology that use sensors to weigh the truck while in motion which is probably useless for our purposes. Sometimes big rallys will have someone with portable wheel scales like the the state dot troopers use.

IMHO the truck stop scales are the quickest and easiest to use, especially if you need to make some adjustments and get a reweigh.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post

(snip)
I've heard that some weigh stations leave their scales on when the station is unmanned. Look for any signs that prohibit trespassing. It might be a good idea to contact the state agency responsible for the weigh station to find out if that is permitted.
Idaho and Washington State highway scales, when not open, are left on, and may be used. They have digital readouts and you can find out what you need to know easily and for free. I believe, but not sure that Montana is the same. I have also seen scales left on and available in Alberta. If a scale is not busy, you might be able to use it for a quick weigh, even when open, but I would stop off to the side and ask first.

When I had the new axle put on my Argosy 20' I took it to a local feed dealer who had a scale, so I could weigh the rig as loaded like when I normally tow it. That way I was able to get the right axle capacity, not too high, not too low.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Oregon scales are also still operational when not attended. In addition to main highways, I've often found them on "farm-to-market" roads where you can take your time and weigh various components at your leisure.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Cloud10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fox Island , Washington
There is a free app for the Android and iPhone - called My DAT Trucker Services - it shows nearby truck stops, CAT Scales, Walmarts and rest areas - as well as diesel fuel prices at some of the truck stops. For a given truck stop it will show if there is a scale located there.

Other apps show similar info - I'm biased since I'm the Product Manager for this one. :-)

While the app is targeted for truckers, RV'rs have also found it helpful.
smccollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
I have an Android tablet, so I will look for the app and see what scales are closer to me. The idea that unattended scales still operate is intriguing. I never would have guessed that. I'll see what I can find then.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollister
There is a free app for the Android and iPhone - called My DAT Trucker Services - it shows nearby truck stops, CAT Scales, Walmarts and rest areas ...
Cool app, thank you! Did a search on scales in my vicinity and it was dead on.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:

Any place with a scale is fine. Ask nice.

1) Grain elevator
2) Garbage dump
3) Scrap metal processor
4) Dairy processor
5) Gravel pit
6) DOT weigh station
7) Agronomy/fertilizer dealer
8) Livestock auction barn
9) Feed dealer
10) Processors of coal or crude oil in areas with mines and wells

If you are local and ask nice and avoid peak times they are usually happy to help and won't even charge you.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
I agree with Jammer. In your area help is likely to be found in the forestry, fishing or agri business sectors.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:

red,
I was very close using this method.

Good Luck

Bob
Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
I got the Android app, but it didn't list any scales closer to me than the 100 miles. I'll be checking around town to find a commercial scale somewhere. I'm sure someone has one, somewhere.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I agree with Jammer. ANY PLACE the buys or sells a comodity, will have a state certified scale. Go find one in your area. Strike up a conversation with the operator. Findout when his slack times are and tell him your intentions and what you intend to achieve.
Most will work with you.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote