Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
cac
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Tehachapi , California
Angry Careless unhitcher

I am an idiot with a 2016 Flying Cloud 26U. I unhitched everything else but FAILED to disconnect the power cord to my truck before pulling away. The trailer's power connector to the 7 pin plug on the truck was damaged when it pulled out: the small "hook" on the trailer side plug that locks the cord in snapped off. No amount or kind of tape can keep the plug snug on the 7 pin.
The result is no trailer brakes and no trailer lights.

Can the trailer side plug be replaced without replacing the whole cord? Can I order that part and have an Auto repair garage connect it? The nearest Airstream dealer is in Paso Robles, 166 miles and two mountain ranges away. : (
cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Sure it can. Any RV store, trailer or camping supply will have it. Maybe even a major uhaul store.

You can do it yourself, it’s fairly easy.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, the plug on the trailer cord can be replaced. Walmart and Ace hardware both carry them. I have done mine twice. Once in a Walmart parking lot and once in a ACE hardware parking lot after accidents of one kind or another on the road.
You can probably order the Airstream plug from Outdoors Mart. That might get you the same one that is on it now. It might be better than the hardware store ones. Yes, most auto repair places should be able to do the exchange. If you do it yourself take some pictures and make a diagram of the wire color code and connections.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Replace it yourself until you get home. A replacement won't be moulded and water tight. At home replace the plug and wire to the junction in the trailer (or make one).
Don't beat yourself up. We could all be in your shoes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring for 7 Blade Plug.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	304863  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
< snip > We could all be in your shoes.
And some of us were in "those shoes" even before he was!

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Many of us have done stuff like this. I crushed my 7-pin cable by routing it incorrectly and it got crushed somehow in a tight turn. I've repaired it myself and believe me - if I can - ANYONE can. You can probably find a YouTube on it too. Still - if you're unsure about it - any RV place or probably even a U-Haul place could do it for you.

Now you've got a good story to tell. They pile up over the years and make for good campfire discussion [emoji3]

You'll see stories here of people who forgot to chock their wheels on a hill - now THAT's a rough and expensive lesson...

Hang in there.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I don't know if this is helpful, but I bought a "safety pin" latch for the AS. After closing the coupler, I put the pin in and clasp the 7-pin cable through it. That way the trailer wiring harness is centered for turns, off the ground, and before I can open the coupler, I have to deal with the cable. Works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61YN7e7QmQL._SX524_.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	304866  
Old 02-24-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You'll see stories here of people who forgot to chock their wheels on a hill - now THAT's a rough and expensive lesson...
Reminds me of the ESPN golf camera man who pulled up in his golf cart, jumped out and watched his cart roll downhill into a lake with the camera still inside!
Old 02-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Quote:
I don't know if this is helpful, but I bought a "safety pin" latch for the AS. After closing the coupler, I put the pin in and clasp the 7-pin cable through it. That way the trailer wiring harness is centered for turns, off the ground, and before I can open the coupler, I have to deal with the cable. Works for me.
When we bought our first trailer (a Starcraft) 12 years ago it came with one of these and during the walk-through the tech specifically pointed out running the umbilical through this loop for the same two reasons you cited: Keeps the cable centered and off the ground, and you have to deal with the cable prior to unhitching. Sound advice then and now.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
We have all been there in some form of WTH did I just do.

Fix yourself and be thankful it was not a major item.

Good luck!
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I used to pump gas when I was a kid, I really enjoyed watching folks drive away with the hose still in the tank.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
One time I did just the opposite. I forgot to plug the umbilical cord into the truck. I drove about 100 miles on the interstate highway before I realized the trailer had no lights or brakes. Stupid move! Nothing happened as a result but I still have nightmares about that incident.

So I never move without having someone check my lights and I check the brakes.

If we live long enough we all get smart!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:

I really like that idea. We’ve all done something like this, and can learn from their (your) experience.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Back when I had a Class C motorhome, I drove away from a campsite with the 120v power cord still plugged in. Fecal material happens.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
If you can wire a plug on the end of an extension cord, you can probably do this. There should be some sort of set screw on the side of the socket somewhere which holds the connector face in place. You remove the set screw, push the cord and connector face out to the rear, then you'll see where the individual wires connect. I know, probably clear as mud, but if you look closely you'll see what I mean. The rest of the job should become obvious.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Someone should come up with a master checklist for hitching and unhitching an AS and put it out there. I know I have just about done something similar. Most of the time stuff like this happens when it’s pouring rain and your just trying to stay dry and in a bit of a hurry. Makin a list and checkin’ it twice might not be such a bad thing.

Should be such you can put it on a smartphone though so when it is raining the paper doesn’t get wet.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My wife and i would each walk around the whole rig before moving checking tires, hookups, mirrors, and lights.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I forgot to plug the umbilical cord into the truck. I drove about 100 miles on the interstate highway before I realized the trailer had no lights or brakes.
Is there anyone who hasn’t done the same?

I sure have, with a boat and with the Airstream.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 AM   #19

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
My wife and i would each walk around the whole rig before moving checking tires, hookups, mirrors, and lights.
My wife and I double check each other every time. She preps the interior and I the exterior, then we swap she checks the exterior, I the interior. For a final check we do both together.
Most importantly do not allow yourself to be rushed or interrupted.
I used to work from someone else's list but the flow was not right for me, so I reordered it to my taste.
I discovered this as I was making sure the stabilizers were up when I stood up and smacked my head on an open window cutting myself. Windows closed moved further up the list.
Walk around at least three times.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Rancho Cordova , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
One time I did just the opposite. I forgot to plug the umbilical cord into the truck. I drove about 100 miles on the interstate highway before I realized the trailer had no lights or brakes. .....
I have done the same.
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote