Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Spooner , Wisconsin
Can I just have a ball?

I’m shopping for my first AirStream and have, as I see others about to join the fun have, a hitch question. I have on order a Ram 1500 with Class IV hitch and all the “tow” related options I could add, but no anti-sway attachment. The Ram dealer says get that from the RV dealer, as does the AS dealer. However, we are at this point intending to buy used. Some out there are EQ, some are Blue Ox and some are ProPride. We’ll likely install on the truck, what comes on the trailer we choose.
I’ve read through the “first tow” on the AS site and still have these questions:
Is there a standard ball size for AS, and if so what is it?
What is the nominal height above ground for the ball?
The real toss-up question is this:
Is it absolutely essential to have any of these after market stabilizers? You can, can you not, drive in reasonable weather on reasonable roads with just the ball?
Having read through the responses on another newbie’s question, I recognize the nature of the vehicle and travel options may suggest which we finally choose. I have experience pulling boats and smaller RV’s so I don’t think a little sway is going to freak me out and I’d like try it without to make the assessment of my specific rig and use.
I might mention that the Ram dealer claimed there is a “smart” function in the brake that will itself deal with some degree of sway. I take that with a grain of salt, but again, I’d like to see how it works without the anti-sway hitch; can that be done? If it can, would you rate that as utterly stupid, or a reasonable 800-mile solution.
Thanks,
WherryWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Greatly depends on what you buy, but in general something like a reese dual-cam is cheap insurance and provides a nice comfort level.

With that said, I towed ball only with my 23' safari with never an issue. After having WD, I would like too use it if possible.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
As long as the wheelbase is over 120 inches and you keep the speed below 6.7mph you will be OK.
A great tow vehicle would be this.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Oh boy. Tow vehicles, hitches and tow ratings are hot buttons on here! Many opinions.

Here is a basic neutral response. Find out what your hitch rating is for WD and non-WD weights. There should be a sticker on the truck hitch somewhere- mine was underneath. Also, find out what your truck's payload rating is. You will subtract your trailer tongue weight from that figure. The payload rating includes people and cargo and tongue weight.

Anti-sway hitch-wise is a part of the design of the hitch you choose. You will hear many types. I started with a Curt hitch- very inexpensive and it worked well until I got new truck tires- go figure. Then I ended up with a 3P ProPride.

WD hitching is almost a must with an AS. You cannot establish the height of the hitch setup until you know what hitch and have the truck too. Each model of Airstream may differ based on model or year (if used). My vintage of AS was 17 3/4" high for most models. I believe the ball size is 2- 5/16". If you buy used, here is a reference point.

https://www.airstream.com/service/document-archive/

Does it matter about anti-sway? Yes but if you want to tow without it go ahead and find out. The wind, semi-trucks and just general road conditions can teach that lesson.

Brake sway electronic. Yes trucks have that but I can tell you, at least with my '09 Ford that had the same feature, it kicked in after I was already in panic mode. I would not consider that my solution for anti-sway. I think of it as an emergency, to keep from crashing setup!

Have fun with whatever you end up with. I have had to experience things to realize my need, like the swaying, to then research and select a hitch. There will be some things like that for you too. Some people never seem to have sway issues. I didn't- at first.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Considering the value of your truck and your trailer, saving a couple of bucks on the hitch seems penny wise, but pound foolish.

Weight distribution and sway control make for a relaxing, stable ride.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
We also went with a ProPride hitch. We are currently pulling our 27 EB with a Surburban1500 and are pretty much at our max on towing.
This works fine so far on flat terrain.
We are planning on a diesel 2500 as a tow vehicle in the near future.
Safe travels with your new trailer.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I'd like to suggest a two-step answer. Since you're planning to buy a used Airstream and you don't know what you'll end up with yet... tongue weight, tongue height, hitch height of the truck etc. are to some extent unknown.

Step one - buy a simple Class 4 shank with a 2-5/16 ball and be prepared to buy your used trailer and simply tow it home. Hopefully you only need to tow a limited number of miles - not across the country.

Step two - after you have the trailer in hand you can measure tongue weight and height. Maybe the trailer will even come with a weight distribution hitch - many people selling trailers sell the hitch too. Now you can double-check the parameters of your trailer and the parameters of your truck to see if you need weight distribution. It will be obvious when you hitch up your trailer - if you truck sags dramatically you need weight distribution. Sway control is to some extent a separate topic - some hitches include this feature some use add-on devices for sway control.

Basic ball now, more elaborate hitch later if needed.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WherryWillie View Post
I’m shopping for my first AirStream and have, as I see others about to join the fun have, a hitch question. I have on order a Ram 1500 with Class IV hitch and all the “tow” related options I could add, but no anti-sway attachment. The Ram dealer says get that from the RV dealer, as does the AS dealer. However, we are at this point intending to buy used. Some out there are EQ, some are Blue Ox and some are ProPride. We’ll likely install on the truck, what comes on the trailer we choose.
I’ve read through the “first tow” on the AS site and still have these questions:
Is there a standard ball size for AS, and if so what is it?all of mine have been 2 5/16"
What is the nominal height above ground for the ball?all of my trailers have been 18 3/4" to top of hitch coupling. I set the ball at 19 3/4"+
Is it absolutely essential to have any of these after market stabilizers? You can, can you not, drive in reasonable weather on reasonable roads with just the ball?I think you should have both weight distribution and sway control when you are towing with a 1500
Having read through the responses on another newbie’s question, I recognize the nature of the vehicle and travel options may suggest which we finally choose. I have experience pulling boats and smaller RV’s so I don’t think a little sway is going to freak me out and I’d like try it without to make the assessment of my specific rig and use.
I might mention that the Ram dealer claimed there is a “smart” function in the brake that will itself deal with some degree of sway. I take that with a grain of salt, but again, I’d like to see how it works without the anti-sway hitch; can that be done? If it can, would you rate that as utterly stupid, or a reasonable 800-mile solution.my truck has similar sway control, but it only activates brakes on the tow vehicle. I do not think it is sufficent
Thanks,
My answers to your questions above are in red.
I suggest, if you are buying used, that you should wait to see if a hitch will be included with the trailer. Except for one of the six I have purchased, the hitch was included.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I towed about 5,000 miles on the ball.

Both of my trailers towed fine with my half ton on the ball, so long as I didn't exceed 60 MPH and I didn't get caught off guard by passing trucks.

Problem is, I cant drive across the nation below 60 MPH, and after buying my Hensley hitch, I never looked back. (No need to look back, the trailer is always right behind my tow vehicle).

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Considering the value of your truck and your trailer, saving a couple of bucks on the hitch seems penny wise, but pound foolish.

Weight distribution and sway control make for a relaxing, stable ride.
Very very much agree with this. ^^^

On towing, I'm as green as they come, starting with our first Airstream in December.

Last year, I researched the forums and bought a Propride 3P hitch from Sean. His customer service is amazing. I also looked at tow vehicles, and opted for a 1/2 ton 4x4 diesel.

We are now on our inaugural trip out west. The truck and trailer combination are working out extremely well. I am frankly astonished how easy it is to get down the road, with zero drama.

I only say this because of my experience; the advice I received here on Airforums was excellent. Be well worth considering it carefully before deciding what to do.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
A Reese Dual Cam hitch came to me from the trailer's previous owner. I was sold on keeping and updating it after the first tow home. 300 miles of interstate in a nasty crosswind was a piece of cake. Passing semis were barely noticed.

I agree, you may well get a good hitch along with a used trailer. If not, the Dual Cam is worth your consideration.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #12
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Yeah,
This is one of those hot button issues here.
You will find more proponents here for leveling and sway control than not. You will also find a lot of people here with back up cams, tire pressure monitors, solar panels and every other kind of gew gaw and doo dad that can be bought when money is no object.
I will say you are probably better off with WD than without.
On the other hand, consider the millions of utility trailers hauling millions of tons of cargo for billions of miles without WD hitches and enter that into your equation.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wouldn't tow a medium size Airstream 800 miles with our Ram 1500 and no w.d. hitch. Reduced braking and steering control, get pushed around by sidewinds and semi's passing, headlights shining up in the air.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Okay, I guess I'm going to have to buy the book, since I keep quoting from it. As I recall, Wally Byam's famous book, Trailer Travel Here and Abroad suggests very strongly that a weight distributing hitch is a necessity. That book came out in, what, the early 60's? Granted, the typical half-ton pickup today is a much more capable tow vehicle right off the showroom floor than most vehicles of then, but I think his advice was spot on.

As far as choosing the right hitch and hitch setup, I don't think that the specs changed all that much from year to year for the same coach, although the weights tend to get heavier as you get newer. Go to https://www.airstream.com/service/document-archive/ and look up the coaches that interest you. Note the highest gross weight and use that for your guide. If you set up to tow a 10,000 pound gross weight coach and eventually buy one that is only 8500 pounds gross, it won't make any difference, but if you do it the other way around you will eventually damage something. Be sure to pay attention to the towing capacity of your tow vehicle. That may well be your limiting factor.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
but I think his advice was spot on.
Yes, his advice about digging "gopher holes" was spot on for those times too.
But it, along with using a big car that had maybe 1/2 of the weight capacity of a modern 150 really isn't as relevant as these forums would have you think.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Buy a Hensley or a Pro-Pride and don't worry about tractor and trailers passing staying under a certain speed. if you can afford a nice tow vehicle and a nice trailer buy a good hitch of forget about camping. there are so many opinions on here but the real question to ask has anyone not liked the Hensley or the Pro-Pride if hooked up Correctly-----that is the important part Correctly!!!

thanks

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Is it absolutely essential to have any of these after market stabilizers? You can, can you not, drive in reasonable weather on reasonable roads with just the ball?
I might mention that the Ram dealer claimed there is a “smart” function in the brake that will itself deal with some degree of sway. I take that with a grain of salt, but again, I’d like to see how it works without the anti-sway hitch; can that be done? If it can, would you rate that as utterly stupid, or a reasonable 800-mile solution.
Thanks,
Your RAM dealer should have said the trailer brakes have a DUMB function.

Trailer brakes have no idea what the trailer is doing, be it a straight line or a sway.

Using a sway control, along with current day technology, is the maximum safety measures that you can utilize.

No sway control, is not asking, but BEGGING for trouble.

Be smart, be as safe as you can. Your family depends on that judgement.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #18
gwg
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
We are on our 3rd AS towing on just the ball with no negative issues. I also tow some construction trailers / equipment the same.
My advice, make sure you have enough truck to do this safely. If I did not I would run a WD device.
I have a 2014 RAM 3500 Cummins diesel with added air bags.
gwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Take a detour to visit CanAm RV's site. Even contact them; they are EXPERTS on towing. Period! You haven't had fright until you deal with a unstable trailer. CanAM is based in London Ontario Canada. Best regards!!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Response to No. 1:

Quote:
Is there a standard ball size for AS, and if so what is it?
What is the nominal height above ground for the ball?
Thanks,
WW:

As far as the trailer you pull and need for WD, the immediate answer is YEP, most definitely. Consider your trailer (it's not a utility trailer), and decide how much insurance you want......a WD hitch is cheap for the price. Don't put anti sway on and you'll find the reason for it the first (very first) time you're driving along enjoying life on the Interstate at 50 or so, and a big rig comes by at 70 or so. Your reverie will instantly be overcome with utter terror. You will then seriously consider your options. As far as which WD, as you can tell that there are more than a few choices, and probably all (or most) work adequately, some even splendidly. Just remember that you get what you pay for, and sometimes prices can be a premium for the return you get. I've had one non-Reese setup, a round bar EazLift that worked okay, but I only had it for a few years. The other four trailer systems (and the one I have now) were Reese, with either a single friction sway setup, or the Reese double friction stirrup sway bars. I have towed four 28' to 30' Airstreams for a whole BUNCH of miles, and the Reese setup has NEVER had a hiccup.

As far as ball height, put the trailer on a level spot, level the trailer, and use a tape measure from ground to the underside of the ball cup. Then use a hitch head on the TV with a ball height of that same distance, and adjust the system, trailer and TV, to be level. For a Reese, that involves the amount of chain tension on the two bars and other factors, like trailer loading and TV loading. From that point on, FOR THE MOST PART, the only adjustments are to use the tension chains to keep the trailer level.

The Reese system is quite economical, and the cost of sway components is very reasonable.

You'll pick it up.

And happy trailering.

Kent
Houston
Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote