Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM

Ya I have been there, I emailed the info email address and didn't hear anything. My question is pretty technical and would like Andy to consider if possible. I just see comments like this but can never find an email for the man!
Andy@canamrv.ca
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post

Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Andrew, I can send you an address for Andy too - but why don't you just post your question here so that we can all learn from the answer?

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Andrew, I can send you an address for Andy too - but why don't you just post your question here so that we can all learn from the answer?

Sergei

Hey Sergei,

I will definitely share the insights I gain from the conversation with everyone here, but it may turn into me purchasing services from them etc. Also most people would probably scoff at what I am asking!

I have a 2000 Jetta TDI and wanted to know if they have ever set it up as a tow rig. I have seen the 2006 TDI used quite extensively, but I haven't seen the MK4 used. I love my TDI, however in stock form it couldn't tow my trailer, but I wouldn't mind upgrading it a bit!! It gets a little more tricky as I have a long yet relatively light 50's Cruiser. If I ever get it set up or shot down I will definatly let the forum know about it!

PS - I don't know if you have seen Sergei, but it was directly because of your setup that I did the LG Art Cool and have been loving it! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Hey Sergei,
I have a 2000 Jetta TDI and wanted to know if they have ever set it up as a tow rig.
LOL yep, you definitely don't want to ask that question on any towing forum!

Contact Andy T. -- I'm quite certain you guys will have plenty to talk about.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
LOL yep, you definitely don't want to ask that question on any towing forum!
Exactly!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Hi Andrew,

I'll bet Andy can do it. I've seen pictures of a Beetle pulling a vintage Airstream in Germany and he has done several small car set ups, among them a MINI Cooper and a PT Cruiser.

You also have the advantage of diesel.

No, I didn't know that you had installed the Art Cool Split System AC/Heating but I remember now that you made contact when I was down your way, Alabama I think, the winter before last.

Glad you like it. Where did you put the compressor?

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Well- I went over to another automotive place at the advice of the trialer place people...the fellow there said all I needed was a lower stinger hitch and ball...he said get a heavy duty, and that I should not have any problem pulling the AS with this truck. I started to stress to him about the weight distribution, and just putting the trailer down on the ball makes the trucks' front end rise up.
So today I did this...I went to the farm supply place and the heaveist stinger hitch they had for about thirty bucks. Then while standing in line another mechanic was standing behind me and I asked him if he knew much about hitches...sooo later at his shop he showed me a link to these....Roadmaster Active suspension.
These looked like- well something like another leaf spring, but you mounted it right on top of your original leaf springs. He said that these, once installed would distribute the weight of the rear to the front and also keep it from bottoming out. About 350.00 and another 150.00 to install them. (I have connections
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0435.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	156824  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Billy,

Adding that set-up to the rear suspension will NOT transfer any weight to the steering axle. It will ONLY keep your rear-end from squatting.

A weight distributing hitch is the only way transfer the needed weight.

Roadmaster Active Suspension....you'll notice there is no mention of weight distribution on the site.

Bob
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Thats what I thought, but I sat there as he scrolled around on his 'puter' and was telling me that this rig would justify all that. sooo. what do you think of the class V hitch?
I took the reese straight hitch off and put this new one on (to be tested near the end of the month.) I am hoping to meet up with Melody Ranch in W Falls Texas at the end of the month also. There- we will get a lot of advice from him, as I will be able to show him the reese up close so he can tel me what to do with it as far as lowering the level of the ball.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Andy's email -FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Would anyone mind either posting Andy's email here or meesaging it to me? I have a similar question for him I would like get his input on.

Oh and I believe he is spot on in your case.

Thanks
Let me look...the email is....andy@canamrv.ca
Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Billy,

If that's the proper drop to keep the trailer and truck level when hitched it should work fine.
Some folks like the "big buck" adjustable stinger, but if your not going to be changing TV any time soon the regular class V is good.

Bob
Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Thanks Bob for writing back and forth with me about this.
Being able to pull the Airstream with out being nervous or un sure is an on going check list of 'to-dos' -- sometimes it seems like it is never ending...need to get this, need to get that, on and on. ha. This coming weekend we are planning to pull it about thirteen miles north of here to the quartz mountains. Walnut--I mean Walmart is on the way and we plan to stop there to do some maneuvering ...and some more exercises.
The other thing I have also realized is I can't back the Airstream with out any success, but we have not practiced yet either. There has got to be a trick to it. I always thought you just kept your eye on the far rear of the AS and it would go where you steered (using your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel.) Well everyday is a chance to make everything better. Right now I am working on an old grandfathered sign over on Broadway (here's a picture of it getting prepped.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0431.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	156860  
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Backing up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
Thanks Bob for writing back and forth with me about this.
Being able to pull the Airstream with out being nervous or un sure is an on going check list of 'to-dos' -- sometimes it seems like it is never ending...need to get this, need to get that, on and on. ha. This coming weekend we are planning to pull it about thirteen miles north of here to the quartz mountains. Walnut--I mean Walmart is on the way and we plan to stop there to do some maneuvering ...and some more exercises.
The other thing I have also realized is I can't back the Airstream with out any success, but we have not practiced yet either. There has got to be a trick to it. I always thought you just kept your eye on the far rear of the AS and it would go where you steered (using your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel.) Well everyday is a chance to make everything better. Right now I am working on an old grandfathered sign over on Broadway (here's a picture of it getting prepped.)
Billy,

Three tips....

Put one hand at 6 o'clock on the wheel. Move that hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go.

Always try to back up over your left shoulder, using your big mirror's, you lose perspective quickly using the right mirror.

Most importantly...all backing done SLOWLY, ignoring all onlookers.

Glad to see you haven't dropped the "brush"...

Bob
Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Robert I figure the man at the shop just wanted to make a sale real bad, and was doing his best to be 'slick'. ha
This Airstream, the tow truck and me and Angel with our spirits looking out of our heads - is what motivates everything. We look around at some of our friends and they are stuck in one place and have been for years and years. I knew this Airstream we have is the reason for living and to keep on living. That would have been kind of funny (but not) to see Thelma and Louise go over that cliff while pulling an airstream at the same time.
Sure thing I will practice the steering method, I actually am a very good driver with everything else.
I have already had the truck weighed by itself at our scales about two blocks away from here where we are at. So also on the list is to weigh in with everything hooked up.
So when I do this, and I am about to pull up on the scales, what is the procedure?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Billy,

This what I have done when setting up a new TV. Others may differ slightly...

Get the base weight of the TV loaded as it will be used towing. Full fuel gear etc.

Get a combined weight, TV & AS without WD set.

Get a combined weight with WD set, you may have to re-weigh several times to determine the best set-up.

Your goal is to return as much weight back to the TV steering axle as possible while keeping the entire rig LEVEL.

Pay attention to axle loading on the TV and trailer and adjust your tire pressures accordingly.

Here are three tickets from a "heavy" trip we took several years ago.

Notice that when we weighed the rig without WD a significant amount was taken off the steering axle. 760lbs.

After WD adjustment all but 100lbs was moved forward to the TV steering axle, with a portion going back the the AS axles.

Hope this helps...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV wt..jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	156869   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT Weights.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	156870