Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Can Am RV Alternative

I have t/w Can Am RV in Canada about do some fining tuning on my TV and I believe they can really help me out. However, I would rather not drive all the way from south Texas to Canada to have the work completed. It's apparent from their website that the services they offer are quite extensive. I know I could always turn the trip into a cross country vacation but until I feel comfortable with my TV, I would rather not. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Can Am that provides similar services?
Old 02-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Pat you have normal equipment so there should be lots of folks available in your area who could provide some tips. Perhaps put some photos of your setup on this thread with a description of what you think the problem is and maybe you will get some help. Jim
Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And, hey, Houston is southeast Texas (really, western Louisiana as to climate, terrain, and economy), as South Texas is south of San Antonio.

As to setting up your rig, dong so on a public scale (CAT Scale) is the easiest way. Quite a few threads on this. Rough it in at home with fender measurements, and then to scale to nail it down. TT tires at full pressure, and TV tires at recommended pressures based on load (with TT hooked up and WD "correct").

Yes, the help of an expert would be great, but there is much you can do to establish a numerical baseline that will ease any diagnosis at distance or in person.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Slowmover, yeah, pretty much aware where is Houston is located. Been here about 60 years now. Need to slow down on my ipad typing! Can you explain what you mean by establishing a 'numerical baseline'? Still trying to educate my to all of this. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Risk minimization.

A numerical baseline is essentially seeing to it that neither vehicle has any mechanical issues in regards road performance. New or used, take nothing for granted, but verify that things are as they should be. Importantly, the range of future, or potential, adjustments (TV tire pressure or WD hitch) is short or limited once numbers are acquired.

For TV:

- alignment, brake drag, steering slop, tire pressure

For TT

- alignment, brake drag, bearing pre-set, tire pressure

Where the rubber meets the road (tire loads) is the ultimate goal of acquiring the information which leads to particular readings. In person or at a distance, what the loads are, wheel-by-wheel, allows diagnosis (if needed). The immediate goal is to give the driver accurate feedback as he goes down the road in varying conditions. Set up the articulated rig according to formula and know the way it should feel when correct.

We might debate "correct" as well as "formula", but it is in doing our best in inital set-up that we have a baseline for comparison where numbers are what are at issue, not subjective measures.

To this end:

TV:

- solo; then hitched with no WD applied, and then with WD applied

TT:

- TW alone; then solo TT axle, then TT axle hitched with WD appled.

That nothing is amiss with either vehicle alone, and then WD settings and TV tire pressure are optimized. We tend to state the numbers on an axle-by-axle basis, but individual readings allow us to move weight around to try and equalize across-axle readings for either vehicle AND THEN condense this to WD readings.

To look at it another way one might be a few years into travelling this way and, now, suddenly, something doesn't feel right. Response is different. The first questions asked will be what changes have been made to the original set-up (and what was the original set-up?) to try and find the source of the problem. Was it different tires? Additional passenger? (A frustratingly long list of conditions may need to be accounted).

By having a complete picture provided by acquired numbers, we come closest to diagnosis and correction via the shortest decision tree. And, in the meantime, we acquire experience with a particular rig over a variety of conditions (road, load, traffic, weather) which leads to confidence in our abilities to deal with what comes our way.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Pat, let's start simple. What kind of tow vehicle do you have, type of hitch setup, etc?

We tow our Streamline with a 2004 Tahoe. To help dial in the WD hitch we took the Tahoe and trailer through a scale (a weigh station that was closed) with the trailer and weighed each axle, then again without the trailer to determine how much weight we were transferring.
We have now towed the Streamline 7500 miles and always felt comfortable. We keep the Tahoe tires at 41 psi and the trailer tires at 50 psi cold.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Thanks JJ, I broke down and purchased a 2014 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 liter engine. Just got back from a 2000 mile trip through far west Texas, Carlsbad and Big Bend. The Denali performed very well. About the same gas mileage as my Suburban which I can live with. The extra torque that the 6.2 produced driving up the 5% grades was a great advantage. I am really happy with the way it handled throughout the entire trip.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:21 AM   #8
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
Thanks JJ, I broke down and purchased a 2014 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 liter engine. Just got back from a 2000 mile trip through far west Texas, Carlsbad and Big Bend. The Denali performed very well. About the same gas mileage as my Suburban which I can live with. The extra torque that the 6.2 produced driving up the 5% grades was a great advantage. I am really happy with the way it handled throughout the entire trip.
Let's see some pics of that rig!!!
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Sweet! We looked at a few Denalis before buying our Tahoe. I loved the ride and torque, but not the gas mileage. In the end the Tahoe was the nicest, best maintained truck we found at the best price. I'd love a 2014, just not the payments!

Enjoy!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Can Am RV Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
Let's see some pics of that rig!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397449428.460448.jpg
Views:	1594
Size:	983.8 KB
ID:	209660

This is one from last week in west Texas!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Nice looking combination
Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Curious where you camped in Big Bend. I grew up in Midland and used to camp there during my high school years.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Rick - never made it to the park. Spent 2 days at a campground in Lajitas.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post

This is one from last week in west Texas!

Now THAT'S a good looking tow vehicle! MUCH better looking than the 2015's...
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Yeah , I'm not a fan of the 2015 body style either. Both the 2015 Yukon and the Tahoe have lots of new features but the one thing that really turned me off were the mirrors. The 2014 and earlier weren't huge by any means but the 15s got even smaller.
They remind me of the outside mirrors on cars in the 60s. It makes no sense. They throw in all of the new max trailer package goodies but make the mirrors smaller? You wonder if the engineers at GM ever talk to each other. Well based on the latest scandal with the ignition switch nothing should surprise me. Anyway, sure like that 6.2 liter engine!!!