Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Camper Clinic II, Buda Tx.?

Had my AS delivered. Now have bought TV. Camper Clinic II is local AS dealer and I'm thinking of going to them for hitch purchase and installation.

Have read threads here and am overwhelmed with the discussions.

Anyone done business with CC II and what was your experience?

thanks in advance.
HCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've not done business with them, but I hear they are a good repair shop in this area. About hitches, however, I have two friends that went to them for hitch setups, and neither one got a good job. I'd sooner trust a friend to help you that understands the hitch. I think you'd get a better job. On hitches, they seem to just want to get you out the door.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
I've heard some very bad reports on the Austin area dealer. Not sure if that is the one, but be-aware. My next door neighbor bought a new AS from them (the Austin area dealer, whoever they are) recently and was very unhappy with the customer service.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
talet and experience have movedOnly the bones remain Ito

The real Airstream folks from Camper Clinic have left and moved to their own facility just East of Austin. Whats left is something like the Explore America Airstream dealers in the DFW area. Not a pretty picture.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Where would this facility be just East of Austin? When did this occur?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
We took our 2004 trailer w/a recall to Buda didn't stay for the work after seeing their shop. Seem to have poor customer service. My husband & I have installed 3 Hensley hitches--just need to read the instructions. Also, good advice to connect with other Airstreamers that may be happy to help.
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loveland , Colorado
We bought our 2009 Bambi there a few months ago. We had a good experience with the salesman, but the process went downhill from there.
Even though we didn't finance the purchase, the finance manager was "impossible" to reason with. He lied to my wife regarding the remaining factory warranty - he was giving the "hard sell" for an extended warranty.
We picked the trailer up with a new Ford pick up that had not been set up for the electoral system to charge the batteries in the trailer. We found this out after a 6 hour tow to our home.
To make a long story short, I would not recommend this dealership for anything.
Jimdee07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
I've used Camper Clinic II extensively in the last year. Had a brake problem with a backing plate that I had purchased from them and installed myself. They helped me diagnose the problem (bad part) and they replaced the defective backing plate and adjusted the other three. Without charge.

Had them replace/rebuild my toilet platform that had significant rot. They did an excellent job at a reasonable cost. My experience with the service manager Les and the scheduler Lucinda has been very good.

One of my best contacts is Bill in the parts department. Bill is very bright and helpful with Airstream original parts and after market alternatives. I use him often. I recently complained about the high shipping costs for bulky items from Airstream when he suggested that if I had the time he would have the part shipped with a new unit and bypass the shipping cost!

I have not had any dealings with the sales department!

I think my frequent interactions with the folks in service and parts may give me an advantage because I know them fairly well at this point.

I would suggest you give them a try!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Have had good luck there, especially with Bill,Carlos and Lucinda. Alan is their chief mechanic and is very knowledgeable. Have NOT delt with their sales department.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
I would second those who suggest installing yourself. I just installed a propride 3P with the physical help of a friend and the collective knowledge of this forum. Took about 6.5 hrs in total.

I did this after one of the local AS dealers told me to go to "a hitch place" to get it done. This was before I decided to buy a propride hitch, so I guess the profit margin on a hitch install was not good enough for them.

Anyways, I decided to do my own since I figured that a general Hitch vendor may not treat my AS any differently than A landscaping trailer. I'm glad I did since I now have a much better appreciation for how to adjust the towing characteristics when needed.

Good luck!
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Hansom-Man--good advice as I have had bad experiences with installers of an awning (not for AS) as well as a trailer wiring setup for my boat.

I can't believe that these guys are that incompetent--must be poor training or that they just don't care.
HCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
We bought our 2009 International 27FB from Camper Clinic II in November of 2008. Our sales experience was ok. Several hours of negotiation resulted in a fare price. I had them install cam portion of my Reese Strait Line hitch system I bought on line. They drilled the holes and mounted the cams, but they did not complete or "tune" the setup. That was something I felt I wanted to do myself.

April of 2009 I returned for my first round of warranty work. Both skylights, as well as the front and rear windows leaked. Both skylights were replaced and the quality of Camper Clinic II's work was better/neater/cleaner than Airstream's. Weather stripping on both windows was replaced as well. Work was completed in a timely manner. On the down side, we had a couple of below freezing days during this time period. I called Lucinda and she assured me my Airstream would be plugged in and the heat turned on. Lucinda was kinda pissy about this request. I went by to check on my trailer and found the heat was on, but it was not plugged in. Propane tanks were empty and batteries dead. My trailer was returned with boot prints all over the floor.

December 2009 I returned for my second round of warranty work and a bearing repack. Over the course of the year I had developed a list of 18 warranty issues. The most serious of of these was stress cracks in the skin at the corners of the front storage compartment. Melanie took lots of pictures and fought with Airstream for 6 weeks while they bitched about authorizing the repair, denied that such a thing could happen, sent the wrong parts, forgot about me, etc. The work was completed and the repair job looks great, but they scrapped up the a-frame when they were installing it and didn't repaint it. So big jobs (fighting with Airstream and body repair) they did great. Details... Could be better.

Most of the other items on my list were corrected, but a few were not. Before I left I had a tech come out and fix the remaining items (a few popped and/or were never installed in the first place interior rivets, putty in some finish nail holes, missing cabinet screws, etc.) Dealt briefly with Lucinda again at pick up- she was crabby and seemed put out... Melanie was awesome. Interior was dirty again- boot prints, rivet shafts, dead weather stripping, saw dust.

I'm fix'n to have my last round of warranty work and another bearing repack the first week of November.
Alan3940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
HCR-

I hear ya loud & clear. It seems like it's a combination of both. It was for this reason that we purchased a used airstream. I wanted to avoid a dealer since I've rarely had them ever follow through with any service promise(cars, boats, etc..) without a major battle.

That being said, this is a good thread since I'm currently looking for a shop in the region to do some warranty repairs. At the end of the day I take a lot of comfort in the fact that the knowledge & spirit of the folks on this forum will keep me on the road for a long time when I exhaust my warranty options.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR View Post
Had my AS delivered. Now have bought TV. Camper Clinic II is local AS dealer and I'm thinking of going to them for hitch purchase and installation.

Have read threads here and am overwhelmed with the discussions.

Anyone done business with CC II and what was your experience?

thanks in advance.
I bought a new 2008 28" International from CCII in Nov 2007 including a HA hitch, which I very much like.

The folks at CCII did lots of things right, and I have taken my AS back for work several times - never been disappointed.

However, with respect to the hitch things were not quite so good.

They failed to lubricate the pins that fit into grooves in the spring bars (keeping them from falling to the ground when they are "unloaded". Within two weeks the pin on one end of the zerk fitting had worn in half and had to be replaced.

They also provided a hitch bar that had the wrong off-set making the AS ride lower in the front. It likewise had to be replaced. While none of this caused any real damage it was IMHO a poor job.

I continue to recommend them to friends, but for my part I try not to leave my AS there over night.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I have had good results with Camper Clinic II, taking my Airstream that I bought used to have a toilet seal replaced, bearings packed and wheels balanced. I also took my previous SOB trailer to them to have a new toilet installed and battery replaced. Both times they were prompt and the work was satisfactory and I though they were reasonable with their charges.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
In September of this year I was driving back to Ft. Hood from San Antonio and I saw all the glorious shining Airstreams on the lot of Camper Clinic II. I stopped and looked at a 2008 25' International. The salesman was a nice fellow. (Jon) He was new to the RV sales job. He knew his product fairly well. I went back with the family and we looked at all the trailers on the lot I think! We didn't buy an Airstream from them. Jon's sales manager was offended at the offer I made them for the trailer and was sent a "Nice to know you. Good luck!" email. I wasn't happy with the sales department manager.
Today I stopped in to buy some parts for Abby, our '72 Ambassador. The parts department people were very helpful and courteous. I have been to a few RV service locations along I-35 and a few places I will never return. I can say that from the moment I walked in to CCII I was greeted promptly and treated with the utmost of care and respect. I purchased three parts totaling $11.67. I looked up the same parts on Inland RV when I got home and they totaled $15.75 (no taxes or shipping). I would recommend their parts department to everyone.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Good experience in buying parts

I finally made it to CC II on Sat. and was very delighted with the knowledge and assistance provided by Bill Janus in the parts dept. Best recommendation I can make is to say that I will return and buy again.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #18
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Cc2 has been just ok in the four years I've used them. Lucinda is gruff but bill is really good. if you have hitch issues, I would highly recommend Spillar hitch in Austin - they are great and can do anything.
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
hitch

If the drive to San Antonio is not too much I would suggest Texas RV parts. They are not an Airstream dealer but Tony and the crew are excellent technicians and have taken care of my Airstream for several issues.
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
My recent experience with the CC2 sales process was IMHO less than stellar, but I also may not understand the typical RV/AS sales process.

Recently my wife and I took a day off work to drive over 3 hours to look at a late model used AS. We spent over 3 hours at CC2 negotiating with "The Great OZ" via our "friend" the salesman. Being mere mortals a glimpse of "The Great OZ" did not occur. It was make an offer and cool your heals while waiting for "The Great OZ" to consider and counter. Never once were we offered a cool drinkg while cooling our heals in the Texas heat.

Ultimately a deal was not struck. Unlike other posters, we must be chopped liver as we did not receive the thank you for coming follow up email.

We found the process to be very consumer unfriendly and left us with the impression that the dealership is "cheap." The process of working through our "friend" the salesman was a real turn off and time waster for us.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote