Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
I know when I make that same statement regarding towing my 27 what I am referring to is the trailer does not impact acceleration, braking, stability ( I.e. when passing or being passed). Do I know I have a trailer absolutely, am I thinking about it’s impact on the driving every second nope. This make for a much more comfortable drive. [emoji56]
Exactly my point, why say something you don't actually mean.
The trailer does in fact effect all the points you referenced above. Testing each will prove it.
Not being aware of that, and not thinking about it every minute while towing endangers you and your fellow travelers.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I think you missed the analogy. Leave WD effects of bar tension out of it. A WD hitch effectively extends the trailer tongue length by virtue of its physical length. Some WD hitches are reported to add 18”. Tongue weight is just a result of the trailer centre of mass being ahead of the trailer axles. Shift the support point from the trailer coupler 18” forward, and see how the tongue weight is reduced. Just like a teeter totter. Now add back the weight of the WD equipment. This is why you don’t add the weight of the WD equipment as a straight addition: the two effects tend to offset each other, at least partially.
I understood it. Overhang extension alters torque loads, WD counters those loads so the net is a zero change to payload, except the modest increase in hitch mass.

I did, out of curiosity, have a look at typical WD extensions vs. the closest possible ball placement and I find the incremental range is from 0 to 14 inches. Typical is 2-4 inches of extension. I also looked at the additional weight and it ranges from 15 to 140 lbs. Typical is about 45 lbs. Mine is 3 inches and 50 lb.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Exactly my point, why say something you don't actually mean.

The trailer does in fact effect all the points you referenced above. Testing each will prove it.

Not being aware of that, and not thinking about it every minute while towing endangers you and your fellow travelers.

Bob

[emoji631]

Agree that towing has an effect, if you have to actively think about all of them all the time either you have not learned the skills (speed, distance, braking, anticipating traffic etc. ) to safely drive and tow (conciously competent) and made them your own (unconsciously competent), if that’s the case you probably shouldn’t drive(over simplification). I can’t imagine having to actively think about every situation that could happen while driving and put in a long day on the road (however you define it but greater than 5 hrs or so).

And FWIW I have experience driving at the limit with both cars and motorcycles on the track with and without professional instruction and yes I know what limit means.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Agree that towing has an effect, if you have to actively think about all of them all the time either you have not learned the skills (speed, distance, braking, anticipating traffic etc. ) to safely drive and tow (conciously competent) and made them your own (unconsciously competent), if that’s the case you probably shouldn’t drive(over simplification). I can’t imagine having to actively think about every situation that could happen while driving and put in a long day on the road (however you define it but greater than 5 hrs or so).

And FWIW I have experience driving at the limit with both cars and motorcycles on the track with and without professional instruction and yes I know what limit means.
Cars, motorcycles and tracks aside...

...I'm willing, I'll actively rationalize my towing the way I see fit, and you do the same, and never the twain shall meet.

BTW, I also know my limits and my rigs limits and am consistently aware of them.
Is aware the same as thinking?😂

Stream Happy...

Bob
🇺🇸