Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Broken Trunion - Reese Dual Cam

After servicing my AS at JC, I headed south west to Casa Grande, AZ. Somewhere along the line I got the feeling that my TV wheel alignment was out, but since I was a day away from my destination (and was going to buy new tires when I got there) I continued on arriving, I noticed that there was no pressure on one of torsion bars. As it was removed a piece of metal fell off. What had happened was that trunion had cracked and broken. The project became one of finding the parts.

I called Lazydays in Tucson (they are the closest AS dealer to where I am staying - about 60 miles away). Not knowing that Lazydays was having phone line problems, I got connected to their place in Florida and they said they would get back to me with a solution to the issue.

The next day, I called Lazydays again and when I asked to speak to the same person was told he's not in Tucson, but in Florida. So I went through the whole issue with parts guy. Meanwhile, I called JC and Kevin called me back with the actual replacement part number for the trunion and pin kit for the 12,000-lb rated (1,200 lb tongue weight) dual cam system and, since they did not have any in stock, suggested etrailer.com - the kit is about $30, so by ordering 2 the cost merited free shipping.

The next day I got an email from the parts guy in Tucson showing me the breakdown of parts and saying he could get one for me at $40. Today I got a phone call from the guy in Florida telling me that the hitch is no longer made and offering to set me up with a Husky hitch, saying they would install it and set it up.

No wonder people have horror stories to tell about dealers!

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
There is a lifetime warranty on Reese hitches.... If it fails they replace. Call Cequent Performance Group for help. They'll overnight parts if you're away from home.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
What is the weight rating on those bars? Call Etrailer.com they have replacement heads.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I did call etrailer.com and I ordered a set of 2 trunnions. They should be here in a few days. I'm down on my lot at the SKP Co-Op in Casa Grande and plans are to stay here until after Christmas.

AtomicNo13: whose lifetime is the warranty for - I'm the 3rd owner of my AS, but I could have been the 1st, except that in those days (28 years ago) I didn't have the funds to buy it new.
WBCCI 8080
Old 12-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Reese is part of Cequent. Call them for a replacement.
Cequent Group

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
You've probably figured this out by now, but Reese hitches and their dealers are ubiquitous. You can find one anywhere. You don't have to look for an Airstream dealer. I bet there is at least one within 25 miles of your current location. Good luck and keep the shiny side up!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I had a very old part fail this past summer, an entire new hitch system was overnighted to me. I was the original owner as far ad they were concerned.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
As another poster already noted - you do NOT have to live and die at any Airstream dealer. For "Airstream unique" stuff - and for anything that requires getting on the roof I'm going to a good dealer or the mothership.

Furnace, water pump, water heater, refrigerator, ad nauseum any good RV place will do. For that matter in some cases the guy who sells horse trailers and utility trailers can be a resource (Frame welding, brakes, axles, etc.).

One slight hijack - 1200 lb. bars are awfully heavy duty. you might bend your frame for your tongue, or even snap some welds with bars that heavy. Inland Andy always recommended 600 lb bars for a softer ride.

Paula
Old 12-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Ordered new trunnions on Dec 9, shipment arrived today, Dec 12 - great service from etrailer.com.

Paula, the 1,200 bars were originally specified for this AS as it is a Reese dual-cam hitch - the AS is a 1987 32-ft Excella. The bars also act, in conjunction with the "cams" as sway control. The whole assembly was re-set for me last year at JC and it works well. The dual-cam provides active sway control as compared to the passive control of the friction type. The friction type impedes any turn whereas the dual cam provides pressure to return to a straight line. The actual hitch weight on the AS specs for this trailer is 800 lbs.
WBCCI 8080
Old 12-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Your bars are way to stiff! We understand your hitch, and how it works......
Unless you are towing with a Pinto, too much spring bar.
I would suggest per Paula 600-800# bars. Perhaps this might explain your failure.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Your bars are way to stiff! We understand your hitch, and how it works......
Unless you are towing with a Pinto, too much spring bar.
I would suggest per Paula 600-800# bars. Perhaps this might explain your failure.

Depending on the TV you are exactly right. I use 800# pound bars on our 30' Excella. I used the same bars on the '96, 34' for the first 150 miles that I owed it, and that seemed to work well also. I increased the pressure on the 800# bars by one link...

That combination with the AirSafe makes for a very smoothride for both the TV and the trailer.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Broken Trunion - Reese Dual Cam

A set of scale tickets will provide info. Both as cross checks and of deducing TW. Smart Weigh isn't any better than what you can do yourself.
And more bar than what is needed is the wrong direction.

I'd have Can Am reinforce the hitch receiver and have them fine tune. As many miles as you run annually I don't know why you don't have a Pro Pride or Hensley. The difference between the DC and a friction type doesn't exist versus the gulf between DC and PP.

That old Dodge (older than mine) could also use new therefore polyurethane antiroll bar bushings. Bilstein shocks. And a steering brace such as He'll Bent or Big D. I'd tighten the steering gear box internals if there is any slack and have the column examined as well.

My TV and TT aren't much different than yours. The above is all to the good. Good luck
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Somehow this thread has gone off the rails - I'm quite satisfied with the setup I currently have. I like the dual-cam hitch, and I have no issues with the handling of the AS & TV. I service twice annually at JC and they have set up the hitch, which was the original one that came with the AS & TV when I acquired them in 2011. My purpose in starting this thread was to alert others about less-than-knowledgeable dealers.

While I've met Andy Thompson and I acknowledge his technical knowledge and contribution to all things Airstream, I don't subscribe to his philosophy of using a lighter TV combined with the Hensley Arrow hitch. Given my many trips across the continent and the through long mountain passes, I personally prefer the 3/4-ton TV with a diesel engine, particularly since I carry a lot of gear in the back of the truck (tools, compressor, generator). In addition, I have had all the running gear changed on my AS (new axles - increased to 4,500 lb rating, new 16-inch LTX225/75R16 M+S load range E tires and new wheels).

As for tuning the hitch, I had that done at JC and I'm confident that they know what they are doing.

As for my 1999 Dodge 2500, I have had the front end checked over and, 2 years ago, had the steering column bushing changed. Last winter all the shocks were changed - all this and the TV has only 125,000 miles on it.
WBCCI 8080
Old 12-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Off the rails, imagine that! That never happens here....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Somehow this thread has gone off the rails - I'm quite satisfied with the setup I currently have. I like the dual-cam hitch, and I have no issues with the handling of the AS & TV. I service twice annually at JC and they have set up the hitch, which was the original one that came with the AS & TV when I acquired them in 2011. My purpose in starting this thread was to alert others about less-than-knowledgeable dealers.

While I've met Andy Thompson and I acknowledge his technical knowledge and contribution to all things Airstream, I don't subscribe to his philosophy of using a lighter TV combined with the Hensley Arrow hitch. Given my many trips across the continent and the through long mountain passes, I personally prefer the 3/4-ton TV with a diesel engine, particularly since I carry a lot of gear in the back of the truck (tools, compressor, generator). In addition, I have had all the running gear changed on my AS (new axles - increased to 4,500 lb rating, new 16-inch LTX225/75R16 M+S load range E tires and new wheels).

As for tuning the hitch, I had that done at JC and I'm confident that they know what they are doing.

As for my 1999 Dodge 2500, I have had the front end checked over and, 2 years ago, had the steering column bushing changed. Last winter all the shocks were changed - all this and the TV has only 125,000 miles on it.

Well said, and right on target. I don't think some of these "PP" and "HAHA" users realize how much they offend people when their superior attitude comes to light.
Not everyone can afford the cost of these things, and some of us feel that the product we have works just as well for us. If the hitch is set up corrctly, and consistently, there's little chance that one will have a hitch failure.

For whatever it's worth.

Larr
Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
broken trunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Depending on the TV you are exactly right. I use 800# pound bars on our 30' Excella. I used the same bars on the '96, 34' for the first 150 miles that I owed it, and that seemed to work well also. I increased the pressure on the 800# bars by one link...

That combination with the AirSafe makes for a very smoothride for both the TV and the trailer.

Larry
Larry, when you say that you increased the pressure on the bars by one link, you mean that you went up to the sixth link? We have The 800#bars for our 28' International and I would like to know how it is working for you. Some fellows said too much presure is not good. I tow with 1500ram and sometimes I feel that I should go one link up...
Bajaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingsilver View Post
Larry, when you say that you increased the pressure on the bars by one link, you mean that you went up to the sixth link? We have The 800#bars for our 28' International and I would like to know how it is working for you. Some fellows said too much presure is not good. I tow with 1500ram and sometimes I feel that I should go one link up...
First, to clarify how I judge the tension on the trunnion bars. I count the links between the "saddle" and the "snap up" bracket. By my count on the links "under tension" on the 34' AS, I have five links. This seems to work well with my situation.

One of the main things in regards to the trunnion bars, you want to see a definite "bend" on the bar when every thing is hooked up. In my case, there is about 1" to 1 1/4", using a straight edge to measure.

I hope this helps.

Larry C
Old 01-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
counting links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
First, to clarify how I judge the tension on the trunnion bars. I count the links between the "saddle" and the "snap up" bracket. By my count on the links "under tension" on the 34' AS, I have five links. This seems to work well with my situation.

One of the main things in regards to the trunnion bars, you want to see a definite "bend" on the bar when every thing is hooked up. In my case, there is about 1" to 1 1/4", using a straight edge to measure.

I hope this helps.

Larry C
Hello,
I understand how you count your links and being on the Fifth link and so on, however you previously said that you went a link up, so you went from 4 to five? Correct?
Bajaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
With all the Reese hitches that I have dealt with (4), before worrying about how many links to use, or how tight to tighten the bars, you must first set the hitch head angle.

With the later model hitch heads, one tooth of tilt on the head is about equal to one chain link at the end of the bar. The objective is to get the proper amount of weight distribution and have the bars approximately level with the ground by adjusting the tilt of the head. Yes, lots of trial and error to get it right.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Just my 2 cents worth-I use a Reese on all my trailers, and it works fine-But-the reason for having at least 5 or 6 links, if your torsion bars have the chain attached to the end of them, and you have less than 5 or 6 links in the open the hitch or trailer will be damaged when you make a sharp turn. If in doubt, hook up your hitch, then in a big field or parking lot have someone jackknife your rig backing up while you watch your hitch and see what the limits are. Good luck, most of it is just common sense. Rolland

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote