Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
What is a Gen-Y hitch, and would you please link to an example? Thanks!
Here ya go.

https://genyhitch.com/shop/weight-di...on-drop-hitch/

Here is an independent review video on youtube.

RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:54 AM   #82
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
First off, no one knows the facts on how many have switched one way or the other. So saying that it was mostly those that could not figure it out is pure conjecture on your part and I suspect personal bias.

Second, there are real drawbacks to the Propride hitch. It is more costly than the other hitches out there.

The weight distribution jack towers get in the way of the front storage on the 27 FB trailers and obstruct access. They also make removing the propane tank covers difficult. The towers also tend to fail over time. They can usually be easily repaired but the hassle of losing a tower jack while on vacation isn't fun.

If you had studied some of the new hitch solutions like the Gen-Y hitch and other new hitch technologies which allow the suspension systems of the TV and the trailer to work independently. You will see that they use a Propride in some of their examples as the type of hitch which causes unnecessary rough rides by fusing the TV and trailer together. By separating the suspension with a suspension hitch you get a much smoother ride in the TV and the trailer.

The ProPride Hitch also makes reversing operations difficult. Yes, you can learn to work around it but it takes more space and more effort than just a straight hitch. The biggest issue is that you can't back a TV and the trailer back in a straight line. The ProPride Hitch head cantilevers to one side or the other causing the trailer to be offset from the center point of the TV. This makes backing both the trailer and TV straight back impossible without constantly angling the TV back and forth. If the hitch head would lock so that the trailer would be pushed from the center of the TV instead of being offset then it would be far easier.

It seems to me that many Propride users fail to admit the downsides or downplay their existence just to justify in their minds the wisdom of their purchase of such an expensive hitch.
And you believe advertising about “pickups are made to tow”, right?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:18 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
I switched to a Gen-Y suspension hitch with a WD bars and the ride was infinitely better. More ground clearance and smoother more comfortable ride. My trailer hasn't popped a rivet yet with the new hitch.
Some questions:
I wonder how long the rubber will last?
How good is it for sway control?
What WD system are you using with it?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:37 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
And you believe advertising about “pickups are made to tow”, right?

Yes sir, yuppie indeed. And I'd like you to link expert (ie. Automotive design engineers) who say otherwise. All I ever see is your trolling, droning opinion otherwise. My 34 years with an auto manufacturer has proven otherwise.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
In my very humble opinion, hitch contraptions for “cushioning” are useless.

The trailer suspension is the prime factor. Whatever is transmitted thru the hitch point is negligible.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Some questions:

I wonder how long the rubber will last?

How good is it for sway control?

What WD system are you using with it?

I would like to know about the sway control and WD with Gen-y as well.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Propride clearance at the WD bars Duth suck for sure - I think on mine it is like 6 inches or so (don’t quote me I’ll check next time I’m out). Even when I get a lift kit (it is pretty low there).

Mostly for us so far on east coast almost all highways it’s a non issue but can definitely see how it could be a problem.

We are getting a lift kit due to our driveway issues (has to do with rear end too so independent of hitch)

Rv dreamer - I’ll take not of that while backing - I can see what you mean - just that as a newb backing in the past 5 years I’m assuming if it veered at all from straight my adjustments must have been small and automatic?

I had no idea about a new non tower strap system?!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #88
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
S.E.
The hitch you have is 'easier' to hitch.. The ProPride / Hensley require a better understanding of those hitch design/function. Other types are more familiar.

On your hitch, the 'bar loading' can hurt you.. badly.. when you lose control of the lever. A longer lever will help by giving you greater leverage. This is helpful if you have limited upper body strength. However........ with the longer lever, the speed and weight of the lever will increase if it 'gets away' from you.. and can do more damage to whatever it strikes.. You won't be able to get away from the swing in time.

Lifting the Airstream and TV with the hitch will ensure your trailer is properly hitched and locked =). All you need be concerned with is the lifting capability of your tongue jack.

If what you are happy, keep your hitch and $$$.

We went with the PP. There are precision steps necessary to hitch up, but as an experienced tow driver, I am more than pleased with the additional benefits of the PP ... the Hensley benefits are similar from what I have been told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamingEagle View Post
I read some of the other thread but my question is a bit different.

I've been super-happy with my Blue Ox Sway Pro, it handles really well with my 25'FB International. Yes, the bars are a pain, but nothing too bad (I don't love lifting the hind end of my car with the jack to get the bars on, but nothing terrible).

I went to a dealer in Michigan and the gentleman there /really/ doesn't like BO Sway Pro's and said that they have had customers that have injured themselves with them up to and including a broken arm from the chains. He kinda pushed the ProPride system instead. Now, I don't see how the chain could whip up on my setup since I do release pressure, but I don't doubt this could occur with the Sway Pro or any other system.

I don't want to use a system that would end up being unsafe, but I really don't have any problems with my setup either.

Anyone have thoughts about this? I normally function around the 'if it's not broken and it's working well, don't change' mentality.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #89
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

I had no idea about a new non tower strap system?!
Check it out on ProPride's sight. I bought the straps and it made a world of difference for me. Much easier and quicker to adjust. No obstructions near the front storage bin. Once the towers are gone you will realize what a pain they have been.

I adjusted mine to the proper WD then marked the spot on the straps with a few drops of nail polish. Works great.

The only slight drawback is that there is less stability of the hitch head when the straps are loose. However this hasn't been an issue for me. I just back the stinger into place with a loose hitch head then adjust the head to the proper angle and reverse the TV into place.

As for the backing problem of the Propride. i probably am more sensitive to it because I have about 100' of straight narrow driveway, followed by a 35' RV storage bay that is about 13' wide with a 12' opening. The ProPride hitch head doesn't allow just backing straight in because the hitch head kicks to one side or the other and the TV and trailer are offset. I can still get the trailer in my RV storage bay but it takes more messing with the steering.

I never even realized this myself until one day I had the ProPride off the trailer and I just hooked the trailer directly to my ball hitch on the truck. Backing the trailer into my storage bay was a breeze. I did it in one reversing move straight back 135' no messing with the steering. That's when I realized that the difficulty was all due to the hitch design.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
In my very humble opinion, hitch contraptions for “cushioning” are useless.

The trailer suspension is the prime factor. Whatever is transmitted thru the hitch point is negligible.
You might think that but once you try the Gen-Y or other similar suspension hitches you will see that it makes a huge difference in ride quality on rough roads.

The issue is that the suspension systems only work to damp oscillations for the vehicle that they are designed for. So your trailer suspension system is designed for your trailer and your TV suspension is designed for your TV. Once you solidly connect the two, trailer and TV, then they no longer work as designed. Oscillations from the trailer do transmit to the truck and oscillations from the truck transmit to the trailer. These conflicting oscillations (because they aren't in sync nor the same frequency) cause transmission stress, hitch stress, trailer stress, and tire wear.

Next time you tow your trailer, pay attention to just how much you can feel the trailer jostling around due to bumps etc while you are seated in your TV. There is a lot to the idea of separating the two vehicles so that their suspension systems can act independently. It sure made a difference to the stress on my trailer.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I am building a garage for the AS this year (hopefully before winter). I haven’t had any problem with backing, but one thing I have considered is buying a powered trailer cart. That way I can back into tighter areas. I also have a kit that attaches to the Propride that makes the front part immovable and it is a regular hitch set up. I always keep this with me in case the AS would need to be towed for emergency situations. I also attach that for storage purposes so that the storage facility can attach and move it into place. But for long back ups that might be a simple solution. Simply put that attachment on, back up like a normal hitch. You can only go about 5mph, but most people don’t back up faster than that anyway.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
You might think that but once you try the Gen-Y or other similar suspension hitches you will see that it makes a huge difference in ride quality on rough roads.

The issue is that the suspension systems only work to damp oscillations for the vehicle that they are designed for. So your trailer suspension system is designed for your trailer and your TV suspension is designed for your TV. Once you solidly connect the two, trailer and TV, then they no longer work as designed. Oscillations from the trailer do transmit to the truck and oscillations from the truck transmit to the trailer. These conflicting oscillations (because they aren't in sync nor the same frequency) cause transmission stress, hitch stress, trailer stress, and tire wear.

Next time you tow your trailer, pay attention to just how much you can feel the trailer jostling around due to bumps etc while you are seated in your TV. There is a lot to the idea of separating the two vehicles so that their suspension systems can act independently. It sure made a difference to the stress on my trailer.
Out of curiosity what kind of TV do you have? I am considering getting a Dodge Ram Diesel 2500 in the next few years. My son said I should really think about getting it with the air suspension system to make the ride a bit nicer. But one of my concerns is the “harsher” ride of the 2500 and how that will affect the trailer. Right now I have an F150 and the suspension is softer than the 2500. Although I test drove one this weekend and was pretty impressed. The Ram has a pretty nice suspension. But last time I adjusted the Propride I had a cap barely hanging on a hook by the door (close to the front). I was totally surprised that after 4 hours of driving it was still hanging because we went over some rough roads for awhile.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Out of curiosity what kind of TV do you have? I am considering getting a Dodge Ram Diesel 2500 in the next few years. My son said I should really think about getting it with the air suspension system to make the ride a bit nicer. But one of my concerns is the “harsher” ride of the 2500 and how that will affect the trailer. Right now I have an F150 and the suspension is softer than the 2500. Although I test drove one this weekend and was pretty impressed. The Ram has a pretty nice suspension. But last time I adjusted the Propride I had a cap barely hanging on a hook by the door (close to the front). I was totally surprised that after 4 hours of driving it was still hanging because we went over some rough roads for awhile.
Thanks for the suggestion above. I might see if I can find a similar device to lock out the hitch head.

I have had several TVs. Most of my towing was done with a Ford F-250 Platinum Diesel truck. The suspension was fairly stiff but really not too bad. I also use my truck as my daily driver. The ride in the Platinum is stiffer than the F150, I would say.

Right now I am using a 2018 Ford F-250 King Ranch. It has the 4x4 off road suspension which isn't as stiff but has a longer travel and more ground clearance. However, I don't notice much difference in ride quality when towing between the Platinum and the KR.

I am using the 1400 lb WD bars that were recommended by Sean at ProPride. I have never tried using the 1000 lb bars but often wonder if that isn't part of the reason for the stress on the TV when towing.

Another factor is the terrible quality of our roads in Western Colorado. All of our road funds go to the front range around Denver. So the step children of the state like the SouthWest have the worst maintained and engineered roads.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion above. I might see if I can find a similar device to lock out the hitch head.
I have the 1400lb bars as well. But my tongue weight is a bit heavier because I have a front kitchen. I had the 1000lb with the Blue Ox.

You can get the lot bar on the Propride web site. Cost is $170. Made for the Propride hitch.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #95
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Ok, GenY hitch is mechanically very similar to the good old AirSafe hitch, which many folks here on AF were eager to talk about a year or two ago. Both are based on an interesting idea, and could be helpful in saving your trailer from a hitch-based beating. However, both solutions add more metal on the hitch and thus more weight, which is an unfortunate downside.

Both GenY and AirSafe seem to suggest you can use WD with them, though the GenY video doesn't show a WD hitch head - just a basic ball. I have yet to see either unit in use in the field.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I think they use GEN Y hitch with WD bars on gauntlet trials.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I am building a garage for the AS this year (hopefully before winter). I haven’t had any problem with backing, but one thing I have considered is buying a powered trailer cart. That way I can back into tighter areas. I also have a kit that attaches to the Propride that makes the front part immovable and it is a regular hitch set up. I always keep this with me in case the AS would need to be towed for emergency situations. I also attach that for storage purposes so that the storage facility can attach and move it into place. But for long back ups that might be a simple solution. Simply put that attachment on, back up like a normal hitch. You can only go about 5mph, but most people don’t back up faster than that anyway.
Whats the name of the kit you use that attaches to the PP and allows for better control on backing up?

Thanks,
Hoagy
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagy_007 View Post
Whats the name of the kit you use that attaches to the PP and allows for better control on backing up?

Thanks,
Hoagy
If you go on Propride website its called the “lot bar”. It’s under accessories. Very easy to put on and take off. It’s orange colored.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Also note that if you have a powered dolly to use with a ProPride, its easy to adapt the 'lot bar' to the power dolly.

Someone did it recently, by adding a vertical pipe and braces to the underside of the lot bar to fit the power dolly. Search around for more data and pictures...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Anti sway

What about anti sway and WD for the Gen Y?
rwsjms7 is offline   Reply With Quote