Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2022, 04:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Blue Ox SP with Lippert strapped

Can anyone using subject BOSP with the Lippert straptek tell me how well it’s working? How do you set it up to same load as using chains. Anything else to know before using them? Thanks
Old 09-06-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
I have a BOSP, came w/ the camper, I don’t have the Lippert system. I *once* took my bars off without having run up the tongue jack enough. It is eye-opening, if you ever make that mistake. But ever since then, I run my tongue jack all the way up before grabbing the wrench for the chain latch. And, having run up the jack all the way, the chains are really easy to put on and off. Knowing to run the jack all the way up (and, I’ll add, put a couple of blocks under the jack’s plate, to increase the height even a bit more), really is key to safely/easily using the BOSP as it comes.

If I hadn’t drilled into my habits of making full use of the jack’s range, I could see the interest in this, looking at it. I don’t think it’s ‘necessary’, I think it is fine as it comes, but, I don’t see that this would hurt, either. Maybe someone else can pitch in….
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:55 PM   #3
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I've been using the Lippert Starptek for 2 years now. No problems and they are soooo much better than those chains that came from the dealer. Easy to change them out too.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I use to have the Blue Ox. Hated those chains. Dangerous and very hard to adjust. PITA. If you can use a different method, then go for it. I’ve read a number of people on the forum use the straps. Makes sense.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Can anyone using subject BOSP with the Lippert straptek tell me how well it’s working? How do you set it up to same load as using chains. Anything else to know before using them? Thanks
I have the Blue Ox and Lippert strap setup, and it works beautifully.. The number one advantage is that I don’t have to lift the back of my truck to add the bars… This is my 3rd season using them and I couldn’t be more pleased with how they work.. Can be adjusted easily…
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyooo View Post
I have the Blue Ox and Lippert strap setup, and it works beautifully.. The number one advantage is that I don’t have to lift the back of my truck to add the bars… This is my 3rd season using them and I couldn’t be more pleased with how they work.. Can be adjusted easily…
What I wonder about the Straptek system is, what is it like to release the tension? I had the SwayPro with chains, and replaced it with an EazLift. In both cases, there is a whole lot of energy that wants to be released all at once. For me, raising the A frame with the jack is mandatory with either hitch.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
What I wonder about the Straptek system is, what is it like to release the tension? I had the SwayPro with chains, and replaced it with an EazLift. In both cases, there is a whole lot of energy that wants to be released all at once. For me, raising the A frame with the jack is mandatory with either hitch.
That’s what I am so interested in also. It seems like releasing the lock on the straptek while loaded would put a similar torque on the wrench. Can anyone with this explain what happens when releasing the lock?
Old 09-08-2022, 05:24 AM   #8
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Following along. I have the BOSP, and have the straps sitting in a box, waiting to get installed. Sounds like it’s a great solution to chain management. I have a small dent in my front compartment door from a chain getting loose. Haven’t left the door open since. I wonder if there’s an installation and operation video. I’ll start looking.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:17 AM   #9
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
Straptek system

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Releasing the tension on the straptek system is easy with the right tool.. I use 3/4 inch breaker bar with a socket and it’s quite smooth… A big feature to the straptek is not having to jack up the A frame to release tension on the bars.. It also prevents stress on the hitch mechanism which has been an issue.. I got the straptek system to avoid the damage from jacking up the tow vehicle and trailer to install the bars.. I no longer have to jack up the truck and trailer to install the hitch .. Easy Peasy
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
In anticipation of trying the BOSP, I heard the horror stories of injuries sustained by letting the chains release.
So I bought a 24" breaker bar at HF, along with a 1" deep socket and short extension.
I still have the dinky BO wrench, but it will be in the 'spare' pile.
I'm used to raising both truck and trailer with the Equalizer hitch. I almost never use the 'Shepard's crook' lever.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Vista , California
With "traditional" WD systems once you get the set up dialed in you duplicate the set up by counting the number of chain links used, right? How does one get the same repeatability with the StrapTek system?
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Following along. I have the BOSP, and have the straps sitting in a box, waiting to get installed. I wonder if there’s an installation and operation video. I’ll start looking.
Yes.
I just read the manual because it looks interesting.
I just googled 'Lippert straptec system' and followed the path to WD hitches and accessories.

I like it, but I have a question. It seems like the straps are subject to dirt and weather and might have a short life.
There is no markings like on chains. Lippert just says, "Ratchet until the bars are parallel to the frame."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Straptek

I use them also. As was stated “easy-peasy”.
As asked above the straps have a series of index painted dots so you can repeat your settings.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
One more question, I just got the straptek in. Removed my old chain from the u bolt and reinstalled in bars. I left enough room for straptek hook to go through the unbolt so it is a little loose. I also put an additional nut on each leg as a lock nut. The instructions that came with the straptek say after hooking up to unbolt to tighten unbolt nuts. That seemed to be a contradiction to the ease of quick hookup. Do those that have this do this step or just leave a little slop to hook and unhook the straptek? I will be installing tomorrow 🤞
Old 09-23-2022, 04:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
One more question, I just got the straptek in. Removed my old chain from the u bolt and reinstalled in bars. I left enough room for straptek hook to go through the unbolt so it is a little loose. I also put an additional nut on each leg as a lock nut. The instructions that came with the straptek say after hooking up to unbolt to tighten unbolt nuts. That seemed to be a contradiction to the ease of quick hookup. Do those that have this do this step or just leave a little slop to hook and unhook the straptek? I will be installing tomorrow 🤞
Sorry, missed the edit window. Instead of unbolt, it should read ubolt
Old 09-24-2022, 05:53 AM   #16
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
I’m curious to hear how your install goes. Definitely want to hear how the strap releases when you are unhitching from your TV.
Hope it goes smoothly.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Update: I installed the straptek about a week ago on the road. It was a simple process. I got a reference measurement from end of bars to frame with chains still hooked up then installed the straptek and winched up to the same distance. The reference dots help get the same adjustment everytime. Tongue jack down as if just hitched to TV, but not retracted. I was on the road so only had my 24" breaker bar and used that with a 1-1/8" socket. Worked ok. Winching up is not hard, in my case though to get bars where they needed to be required a bit of force, nothing scary. To unhitch, I put the tongue jack down till it contacted the ground. Using the breaker bar I released the lock and allowed the breaker bar to rotate back in the release direction. There was torque on the breaker bar, but I could let it move to relieve tension on straps with one hand while holding the lock release in the other. The good thing about the setup was that both sides rotate forward away from AS when un hitching. My breaker bar would actual hit the ground if I were to let it go and still hold the lock release. Unlikely, but could happen I suppose. Tension is off in less than one complete turn, but I had to reengage lock to get another position with my breaker bar because of the length of the bar.
The great part was ending the cracking/popping of the chain system. I know some may say the BOSP doesn't make noise, but it will as it wears in places.
Also less strain on the hitch components from raising and lowering the jack with TV hitched up. time will tell how well this system works/lasts, but I wish I had known about this years ago. I will hit a CAT scale soon to check my weights, but performance seems to be the same.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
In anticipation of trying the BOSP, I heard the horror stories of injuries sustained by letting the chains release.
So I bought a 24" breaker bar at HF, along with a 1" deep socket and short extension.
I still have the dinky BO wrench, but it will be in the 'spare' pile.
I'm used to raising both truck and trailer with the Equalizer hitch. I almost never use the 'Shepard's crook' lever.
I also bought a better wrench for my Blue Ox. As for the injury issue, this isn’t an issue at all if you extend the trailer tongue jack to release the tension on the bars. It’s not difficult and it solves this potential issue. That’s said, I’m intrigued by the Lippert product mentioned in this thread and I’ll have to research it.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:18 AM   #19
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks for the write up Colonel. I’m going to go ahead and get the straps installed. Our next trip isn’t until February. Im looking forward to “not” having to lift the truck up to get connected and disconnected. I use a good breaker bar now, so I have better control of the chains. The straps sound like a good improvement.