Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Blue Ox Serious Injury Near Miss

Hi everyone, I could and need to post about my recent trip from Colorado to Kentucky, lots to share, but something happened to me tonight that I wanted to get posted. I recently just drove from Grand Junction near the Utah Border to Kentucky and unhitched for the first time since the trip.

I thought I was going to be in the hospital tonight with severely injured hands and broken fingers, but somehow came through with just a cut to my hand.

So, I was unhitching the Blue Ox hitch (the one with the chains). I’ll try to articulate this well enough because I don’t want this happening again. I’m sure it was user error, but can’t quite figure out why this happened.

So again, I’m using the tool to make the half turn required to unhitch the chain, when the chain and “wheel” it sits on slipped with such force it immediately lodged my fingers up into and against the propane cover with my fingers and hand pressed into the cover by the release tool with such force I could not dislodge my fingers from either hand. After a few minutes (maybe seconds, but it felt like minutes) of trying to dislodge my fingers or the force without success I began to yell for help (I’m not at a campground right now or around other experienced campers), fortunately someone from the family shop heard me yelling for help and ran over. I guess the obvious solution at this point would have been to remove the propane cover, but first we tried him assisting by putting force on the tool or trying to slip my fingers loose with no avail. He eventually ran for more help after not being able to instruct him on how to remove the propane cover (this was all happening emergency thinking fast as I think we both thought I was about to lose my fingers) and I was somehow able to dislodge my fingers without any serious injuries while he went for more help.

Any clues on why this happened? Do I have the process wrong? At what step should I release the “sway bars”, while it’s still hitched or after? Could the long trip have played a role? Why does unhitching the blue ox chains happen with such force and seem/is so dangerous? Any guidance appreciated. This hitch is not like the ones I’m familiar with and while people on this forum seem to love it, I just don’t know if it’s safe.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6671.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	349465
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska

I have never experienced as much force as you describe, but one thing that can load a lot of extra tension on the bars is if your TV is not in a straight line with the trailer. The greater the angle, the greater the force, which I believe is how they are designed to counter sway. If I know I’ll be unhitching somewhere at an angle, I disconnect the bars before I back in. A difference in vertical angle can load the bars too, such as when your TV is on an uphill slope and the trailer is level.
A thing that helps is to extend the tongue jack to take some load off before undoing the bars chains.
I always undo the bars before any other unhitching.
Glad your hand is relatively ok. I’m usually most concerned about what the chain is going to do, but I’ll also give extra thought to hand vs handle vs tank cover now.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Be sure to use your power jack to raise the front of the trailer and back of the pickup truck to release some or all of the tension on the bars.

Secondly, replace the blue ox tool with an 18" long ½" drive breaker bar, six inch extension, and socket. Some use a 1" socket, I find a 26mm socket fits my blue ox better. The idea is to move the tool away from the propane tank and trailer. The six inch extension and 18" long breaker bar does that.

Sorry for your injury.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
FIRST ALWAYS PUT THE TONGUE JACK DOWN UNTIL THE JACK LIFTS THE BALL AND RELIEVES ALL THE WEIGHT ON THE BACK OF THE TRUCK.

At that point your weight bars will be straight - unloaded. And your trailer will be 4 inches or more nose high. Throw out that cheapass tool Blue Ox includes and dedicate a breaker bar with a 1 inch 6 point socket for the job. (You can use it at an angle sufficient to clear the tank cover etc.)

A prior poster did remark that if the tow vehicle and trailer are not in a straight line, the chain on the "away from" side will be under more tension than the other. Raising the trailer may not relieve all of the tension, so always be prepared for some snap. Again a breaker bar which fits in my teensy female hand at the angle of my choice won't trap my hand but can whack it if I am careless.

Once you've got the chains off, lower the trailer and undo the ball latch.

Glad you were not hurt any worse,

Paula
Old 08-15-2019, 05:18 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
You would think the WD manufactures would HIGHLIGHT that fact in their manuals....do they?🤔

POI...you are not alone.😖

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-15-2019, 05:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
you wish left the back end of the TV BEFORE you disconnect the WD bars
lower the jack until the rear of the TV is raised
how much?
on our reese WD bars, the chain is still tight, but i can hit it with the back of the bars and they will easily come off.

NEVER use your hand
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
So sorry you had to experienced this. It must have been terrifying thinking you were going to loose your fingers! And painful!

I had a BO hitch (now using a ProPride) and although it worked pretty well I learned, from experience, you must have the pressure off of the bars, as others have stated. And by all means get a better tool to release the chains.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
We pull our '68 26' Overlander with a 2018 Tahoe, and have no need at all for a WD hitch.....but your camper is a lot heavier than mine....that sounds scary. Glad you still have your hand!
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona

I did that, once.

However I was using a breaker bar so I did not get injured. I got in a hurry and had not taken the pressure off the bars by extending the jack and the lifting the TV a bit.

So your not alone.

Just remember as the other have stated, jack up then remove bars. And throw the BO tool away and get a breaker bar. Once those two things are done it’s an easy task.

Also - remember to keep the two zerk fittings greased so the bars can move.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Suffolk , Virginia

I empathize and have done something similar. There is a simple resolution. When you are ready to unhook, while connected to the tow vehicle hitch, take your power hitch up as far as it will go - will even lift the TV a bit. This takes the pressure off the chains and bars, then you can safely and easily use the tool to undo without fear of injury.

You will be relieved at how easy it is.

Safe travels!
Jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Appreciate all of your all’s advice. Maybe my wise ol father is brighter than I realized ...you all came up with the same conclusions this morning. First off, I always raise the front of the camper, almost to a ridiculous degree. But, last night I had my truck jackknifed to position the trailer so it would look nice sitting on the property for the fam, I think that was it. Going to get rid of the cheap tool and grease those bearings better. I’ve learned a lot here. Thank you all!
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gilbert , Arizona
I totally agree with Baby Zeppelin. First go to Harbor Freight and purchase an 18”, 1/2” drive breaker bar (one that swivels) and appropriately sized EXTENDED socket. Then throw away the factory-supplied tool. Use the power jack to raise the tongue of the trailer fairly high. Then use the breaker bar to rotate the cams to remove the chains.
FraBarYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I have a Blue Ox WD and have shared your concern.

The immediate solution is buying a long, like 18-24 inch breaker bar from Harbor Freight and using it with a deep, 6-point socket.

But the true solution is getting rid of the Blue Ox chains etc. and using a Lippert Strap-Tec, which is available for around $150 and ELIMINATES the problem.

https://store.lci1.com/straptek-weig...it-335852.html

Did I say ELIMINATES? Yes, and I mean ELIMINATES!!! As in "no more busted knuckles."
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
I wonder if Blue Ox has any idea how many people have experienced injuries or near misses. They should have large warnings to lift weight off bars before disengaging. In my case I was instructed how to do this on the day of our delivery during walk thru inspection. That was like drinking water from a fire hose. Too much info at one time. Visible warnings on the hitch might have saved my near miss. I scratched my nose but would have broken it if I were one inch closer!
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Any time there is a downward slope to the level spot where the trailer will sit and the tow vehicle is at an upward angle, it might be hard to raise the jack far enough to release all the pressure......... so if you get to a campsite that angles down to the level spot.......think about removing the sway bars before backing in. Some times you will not be able to jack up enough. And get quite a thrust went it snaps forward. You will become quite familiar with it. And learn to make sure there is clearance. Not only for you fingers but also the bar on the opposite side can thrust your whole upper torso as you try to hold back the snap and give your head a good bump on the front of the trailer.

Too bad that the time it takes to remove the bars while parked in the travel lane of the campground will likely make anyone wishing to drive past impatient. And might even get the horn blowing......

So maybe turn it into an experiment and see how many true patient and understanding people there are out there.

Or drive around the loop after seeing the slope and get to somewhere that will not block the traffic flow to remove those bats
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
In line with trailer and TV, use front jack to lift until sway bars are about straight (most of the load will be off the chains) and a breaker bar with a short extension.
I have come close to the same problem as you before I learned as well. Still think that the Blue-Ox is one of the best on the market. Good luck and be safe~!
Backfortyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
First, glad it wasn't as serious as it could have been. I am on my 3rd BO SwayPro on this, our 4th AS in 15 years, and I love this hitch. It is important, as with any hitch, to understand how it works, and also how to safely hitch up. There are several youtubes which show the proper way to use your power jack to relieve the tension, so you can easily install or release the hitch and also show the use of included tool to rotate the locking cam mechanism. I use an 18" , 3/4" "socket wrench braker-bar" with a 1" socket now. More leverage then the original wrench they supply. Important to understand the tension and use the power jack....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
connelly springs , North Carolina
Blue-ox

I had a Blue-ox for one season....I bought a 24" breaker bar and socket...it helped....I jacked the hitch up to relieve pressure, it helped....I made a decision not to deal with the Blue-ox as I couldn't believe this was the way to go....I sold the Blue 0x and bought an Equalizer....I like it, it is not nearly as scary or dangerous, also is tows better without tractor trailers effecting my trailer when riding down the road. You should feel comfortable with your hitch. No hitch should present a threat to your being injured. Hope you find what you like.
rustyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Summerfield , Florida
Maybe it's time to switch to an Andersen WD Hitch. Glad I went Andersen versus Blue OX.
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
I have a Blue Ox and like it. Nothing new to add to what others have said. I use the jack to take the load off the bars and a breaker bar to get my hand away from tank cover and better leverage. Sometimes I don't raise the jack as high as I should and I can really feel the difference when I release the load. Glad you only have a story to tell and not a permanent injury.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote