Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2022, 11:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
Best hitch for just sway control?

As advised here, I probably don't need help from the hitch for weight distribution. I'll be towing a 23FB with a Ram 3500 dually. I would like help with sway control. First of all, are there hitches out there for sway control only or must you have both? I'm hoping for something real simple to hook up and understand, that doesn't weigh a ton, and isn't the most expensive thing out there. Any insightful recommendations would be appreciated.
koberudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I believe that Anderson offers a product that might work for you, but I don’t have personal experience with it.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
My first Airstream was a 23’. I agree that you probably don’t need weight distribution, but depending on how you load the trailer and distribute the load in the truck I think you may. The tongue weight is at least 500 pounds and it is hanging out behind the bumper. The impact would be felt in steering feel and possibly control.

Can you get hooked up and drive to a scale before you make your decision?
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Most of the hitches that are sway control are also WDH. And from what I have read (no expert) the sway control is by friction on the ball caused by the weight distribution part of the hitch.

This is what I read;
You can enjoy a safer drive by towing with the Equal-i-zer hitch's Integrated 4-Point Sway Control system. Four unique friction areas are built right into every Equal-i-zer hitch. Steel-on-steel friction acts to continually resist a trailer's attempts to sway. This friction is the same that is used by locomotives to pull thousands of pounds of rail cars. Equal-i-zer hitch engineers have measured up to three times more resistance to lateral trailer movement with the Equal-i-zer hitch over other hitch options. (This is off the Equalizer web site)

Our weight-distribution hitch eliminates swaying. How? The friction cone (brake material) in the anti-sway ball housing is what eliminates sway. The material we use is similar to the material used in auto brake pads, but in its lifetime will only be subjected to a tiny fraction of what a car's brake pads would be subject to. The anti-sway housing features a tapered ball (and tapered housing), which is what makes it 'self adjusting', in other words – the heavier the load, the more downward force is placed on the tapered ball which results in more weight on the brake material causing more 'friction' to be applied. You get the exact amount of anti-sway needed whatever the weight of your load. (This is off the Anderson web site)

The only hitches that I'm aware of that don't operate this way are the Hensley and Propride.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
I probably need to have in mind what to do about a hitch before I arrive at the dealer for the pdi. They can recommend a hitch that I can buy from them but I might do better deciding on my own.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Have you considered just using a friction bar and towing on the ball? I'm not the biggest fan but it would probably work ok.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:56 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Latham , New York
I use a friction bar device for my AirStream and a previous RV specifically so that sway control is separate from any weight distribution function. It works and costs about $65. There many available that look the same but for easy lookup, see the Curt trailer equipment website.
WhatNext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
Didn't know about that. Sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
Pasadena , California
was going to say the same - we just installed this and are taking it out for the first time this weekend: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...URT/17200.html. Lots of positive reviews (but heard from someone that it can be louder)

We tow with a Tesla and the Drawtight hitch and the car both warn against using Weight Distribution hitches. I know people are using them but we decided to listen to the warning and go this route as the trailer is pretty well load balanced.
fraslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Palos Verdes Estates , CA
Best Swat Hitch

After totaling our 2016 22' Sport Bambi and Mercedes SUV tow vehicle from a terrible sway accident (happily no injuries), we posted the details of our accident on this blog looking for expert advice on how to prevent it from ever happening again. We heard from over 125 people!! Overwhelmingly we were advised to get a Hensley Arrow. It is more expensive but it essentially prevents sway. It has provided us with great confidence!
DebTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:52 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cranberry Township , Pennsylvania
I've got the Andersen with my Chevrolet 3500 and only have enough tension on the chain that they are tight (very little weight distribution), but that allows the sway control of the ball and cone to work. I've got over 8,000 miles towing on it with no issues.

If I needed more weight distribution, I think I'd go back to an Equalizer which I've used on 2 other trailers.
dah605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Propride (my preference) and Hensley hitches provide the "best" sway control of readily available hitches. Both work even if you dial in zero weight distribution. Both are fairly expensive but can be purchased used. This forum has a number of good threads discussing all aspects of these hitches.

Anti-sway bar setups work best in dry weather. If they get wet, water is a lubricant, you will have reduced anti-sway effectiveness. Friction bars are notorious for being loud and noisy, you have metal on mental friction (think fingernails on a chalkboard on steroids). You will be noticed as you wind your way thru a campground. Some of these bars must be disabled before backing up.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Stilwell , KS
I towed a 23 FB with GMC Sierra 1500 using an Anderson hitch with no problems. With your TV i believe an Anderson hitch would be plenty (they're much easier too use than heavier Pro-pride).

Now towing a 25FB with a GMC 2500 HD using Pro-pride. All good there too, but the Pro-Pride is VERY heavy.

I would let go of the Anderson for a reasonable amount of $. That said, a Pro-Pride will be great when you get the next larger Airstream.

Have fun!
Casper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have an Andersen hitch, used it twice and put it in the garage. I does a decent job of preventing sway but no good for weight distribution. It can be yours. PM please.
Jim
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:34 PM   #15
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
I like the Curt TruTrack C17500. I use it mostly for anti-sway and do not put too much stress on the bars for weight distribution because my truck has an automatic four wheel airbag leveling system.

The anti-sway function relies on anti-sway trunnions that work regardless of weight on the friction bars and is not effected by weather.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...RT/C17500.html
ETroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 02:03 PM   #16
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETroup View Post
I like the Curt TruTrack C17500. I use it mostly for anti-sway and do not put too much stress on the bars for weight distribution because my truck has an automatic four wheel airbag leveling system.

The anti-sway function relies on anti-sway trunnions that work regardless of weight on the friction bars and is not effected by weather.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...RT/C17500.html

I should amend my earlier reply to say I have switched the ProPride. I now tow a 2021 Airstream International 27 footer with a 2023 Yukon Duramax. I wanted to separate the anti-sway from the weight distribution functions. The rig is towing very well.
ETroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 02:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETroup View Post

FYI, leveling your truck does not solve traction issues and can actually make things worse. Maybe your setup doesn't need WD, but just didn't want anyone thinking they could just throw airbags to level and ignore a possibly underweight steering axle.

hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 08:45 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
I have the Blue Ox HATE how low the sway bars ride (they are always the first to scrape).

I really don't want weight distribution. Is there an effective anti sway system that rides significantly higher?

I don't think a Hensley or Pro-Pride would work due to a pretty extreme slope change where I keep my trailer.
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Best hitch for just sway control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattRox View Post
I have the Blue Ox HATE how low the sway bars ride (they are always the first to scrape).

I really don't want weight distribution. Is there an effective anti sway system that rides significantly higher?

I don't think a Hensley or Pro-Pride would work due to a pretty extreme slope change where I keep my trailer.
Friction sway bars. That’s what we had on our first TV / trailer config.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ese/83660.html

You get a ball mount that has a mount for a smaller ball on the side, then mount a second smaller ball to the frame, and the friction bar connects between the two. Turn the handle to activate and deactivate the sway control depending on conditions.

I think Anderson also makes a ball mount that is supposed to have sway control built in somehow, but I’ve never really looked deeply into it. Maybe someone else can chime in on that or other solutions.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
koberudy,
While Propride is great hitch and we use it with our F250/275B I do not recommend it for you. Definitely an overkill in your case and not on the simple side.

You may be a good candidate for the B&W Continuum. There is an active thread on it with link below. I believe it is a bit over marketed with 2 main weakness (IMHO), both of which should not be a concern for you. 1) It's design does not lend itself to providing adequate weight distribution with heavy tongue weights on lighter trucks, and 2) The hydraulic system reliability is a TBD but if it fails you have enough truck to not worry about it in the short term. Its strengths appear to be easy of use and hitching, good friction sway control, and reasonable price compared to a Propride. If you decide to try one I am sure others on this thread would like to hear your experience.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ch-241308.html
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote