Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Best Coupler Locks?

What coupler lock are folks here using? I like the sound and looks of the MegaLock, but they have so many choices that I cannot figure out which one(s) would best fit my 1960 Safari. Please post your experience with your coupler lock and the part/model number if you have it. Many thanks!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Is anyone using a lock on your AS?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
I just use the one that Colonial Airstream supplied when I bought my AS.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hey M3, try the search drop down at the blue bar. Use the google line and search on coupler lock and tongue lock. I think you'll find what you need in several threads already out there.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
we bought this lock: Trailer Coupler Lock - 2-5/16 Inch Ball Mount, for Airstream Trailers - Clearwater Industries Llc LA52516 - Hitch Locks - Camping World

it fits over the rolled lip of our '72, and seems secure. Gives us some peace of mind.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
we bought this lock: Trailer Coupler Lock - 2-5/16 Inch Ball Mount, for Airstream Trailers - Clearwater Industries Llc LA52516 - Hitch Locks - Camping World

it fits over the rolled lip of our '72, and seems secure. Gives us some peace of mind.
Coupler locks are nice, well, sort of.

As long as the safety chains are still attached, a good thief can simply hook up the chains to a ball mount, then remove the jack, or retract it.

Takes 30 seconds and off the thief goes.

That allows them to move the trailer very quickly, to a place where they can then cut the coupler lock off, where no one is looking.

Probably the surest secure way, is to remove the wheels, but that can be very troublesome, as well as not totally securing storage safety.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Budget M3,
this year I purchased the below lock from ODM. Real easy to use and the only thing I worry about is forgetting to bring the key to unlock it when I go to move it to another location with the TV.

I've left the AS unattended at a few campgrounds this year for the last six months and every weekend when we return it is still there. A good thing. Most folks know who we are, but people do get busy so there is no sense in taking a chance.

FYI, I also use the BAL X-chock locks for no movement/stability and ensuring the rims and tires stay on the Unit. Not that there are bad folks out there, but just in case we are the "shiny object" I want to make it as difficult as possible for those tempted to look at SOB.

Well worth the money and I highly recommend the mega-hitch regardless of where you buy it. You can go to their web site and watch the video which compares a variety of locks. Best of Luck,

SL4BLLT
Airstream MegaHitch Coupler Lock LAS2516

$138.00

LAS2516 Airstream MegaHitch Coupler Lock. MegaHitch lock's patented unique design works with virtually any Airstream Trailer from 1969 to present. Easy on/off installation. All steel, powder coated coupler lock designed exclusively for Airstreams. See pictures below.
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
BTW, it does state from 1969 to present. But, I'd give them a call as Paul, in parts at ODM, knows locks.

SL4BLLT

1-866-636-2267

Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Hey M3, try the search drop down at the blue bar. Use the google line and search on coupler lock and tongue lock. I think you'll find what you need in several threads already out there.
Did that before I posted. The threads I read just said "I got a ___ lock", but very little about the huge variety of locks out there or which models are better for AS.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I use 3/8" chain run through the wheels and around the axle and a decent padlock that is used behind the wheel. Available at any H-D dealer. You could run an AS on to a ramp truck (complete with hitch lock) in less time than it takes to type this.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Coupler locks are nice, well, sort of.

As long as the safety chains are still attached, a good thief can simply hook up the chains to a ball mount, then remove the jack, or retract it.

Takes 30 seconds and off the thief goes.

That allows them to move the trailer very quickly, to a place where they can then cut the coupler lock off, where no one is looking.

Probably the surest secure way, is to remove the wheels, but that can be very troublesome, as well as not totally securing storage safety.

Andy
Understood, Andy. I am looking for a few extra ounces of deterrence to discourage the "opportunist thief". Your insight has given me the idea to also wrap the safety chains around the coupler and use a padlock on those when the trailer is parked for any length of time.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I use 3/8" chain run through the wheels and around the axle and a decent padlock that is used behind the wheel. Available at any H-D dealer. You could run an AS on to a ramp truck (complete with hitch lock) in less time than it takes to type this.
Hmmm...I suspect the professional thief with a flatbed is going to get the trailer no matter what steps I take to deter them. The chained wheels are a good idea, though, to help deter the casual thief. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget M3 View Post
What coupler lock are folks here using? I like the sound and looks of the MegaLock,
Do you have a link for that item? All I can find is Megahitchlock...
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Do you have a link for that item? All I can find is Megahitchlock...
MegaHitch is what I meant. Link is in one of the above responses...
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
MegaHitch is what I meant. Link is in one of the above responses...
May I ask if you are you at all connected to that company in any way, or do you sell their products?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
None , Happy
I'm not associated with megahitch in any way other than as a customer. I bought one and think it is he best deterrent type lock for the hitch. Of course nothing is fool proof. Watch their videos on their web page. I know it is very well made. I can't figure out a way to beat it. Anyone had their AS stolen with one attached?
thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage

May I ask if you are you at all connected to that company in any way, or do you sell their products?
No connection at all. My comment is strictly based on other opinions read here on the forum.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Aage,
On being connected with the Megahitch Company, only as a consumer. As I mentioned earlier, I would be hating life if I had the go get the Airstream a couple hundred miles away to move it to another location (as we have found it is cheaper to leave it at one location and drive to it for the weekends without towing it), and forget the key either at the house or in the other car. That thing is not coming off.

We do have plan "B" so no worries about forgetting the key.

It is a good solid item and a great deterrent. If some one wants your Unit, unless it is hitch to you TV or in a closed storage space, anything is possible.

Good luck

SL4BLLT
Old 09-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
What coupler lock are folks here using? I like the sound and looks of the MegaLock, but they have so many choices that I cannot figure out which one(s) would best fit my 1960 Safari. Please post your experience with your coupler lock and the part/model number if you have it. Many thanks!
Greetings,

I purchased a Mega Hitch coupler vault since I was told that it met the specs for my trailer. It arrived and was not very "loose" like it was supposed to be. I called the company and spoke with Mike who was more than helpful. The Airstream Megahitch uses a 2 5/16" ball and wouldn't work with my 63 since I have a 2" ball. Mike made a custom Airstream Megahitch for me with 2" ball that works AMAZING. He then shipped it to me with a box and RETURN POSTAGE to ship the old coupler vault that didnt work for me back.

Unlike several vendors in the trailer and Airstream world, this was unbelievable customer service. Return postage for free? Custom hitch? I told Mike to start offering this new style of hitch for vintage owners, and since it was just a week ago that this happened it is likely he hasn't changed his website yet.

I HIGHLY recommend Mega Hitch coupler locks. They are pricey, but you can't beat the security and customer service.

Steve
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I just picked up this lock. It's a great deal at this price.
Amazon.com: Trimax UMAX100 Universal 'Die-Cast' Dual Purpose Coupler Lock
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote