Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Spring Lake , Michigan
Coupler lock

Do not see any resent posts on this subject. Going with the Proven Industries lock made for Airstreams. Only a little concerned about theft, just want to be smart about the possibly.

We are new to all of this so any insight how this community thinks about security is welcome.

Thanks,
2016 26U bought July 2017, pre-owned.
happy2retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2retire View Post
Do not see any resent posts on this subject. Going with the Proven Industries lock made for Airstreams. Only a little concerned about theft, just want to be smart about the possibly.

We are new to all of this so any insight how this community thinks about security is welcome.

Thanks,
2016 26U bought July 2017, pre-owned.

Hi, There! My trailer is in my driveway secure with the hitch lock I bought several years ago. It gives me peace of mind, although it maybe looks a little silly (mine is rather clunky looking and the paint is faded from the sun). My trailer is a work in process, which is itself probably the best deterrent (complete with Clecos running the perimeter down by the belly pan). Still I would buy the hitch lock again, it has been money well spent. My Airstream is an investment not just of money but of my time / blood, sweat, tears) and future plans... You can’t really put a price tag on that.

You definitely have the right idea to get a lock. I know of people (fiberglass camper owners) who went with the Proven Industries lock and are very happy. It seems incredibly secure and has a nice clean look/ isn’t overly bulky.

I can’t say what other measures you should take. I’ve read that wheel locks are a good idea, also they’re small and relatively inexpensive. A larger boot-style wheel lock is probably overkill for traveling but if your trailer will be sitting out in the open for long periods you might consider it.

Congrats on your trailer and happy travels! [emoji4]
Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #63
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Takes a handful of seconds to cut through a hardened steel lock with a CORDLESS angle grinder.

No, you won’t hear it.

Something beats nothing, but as Andy relates above, it takes an approach combining wheels, chains and a lock.

The one about locking lugnuts on a bare drum is great.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Aerodmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Proven Industries here as well. I really like that you can secure your safety chains with the lock as well. It is a bit pricey, but in the overall scheme of things...
https://www.provenlocks.com
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
valley stream , New York
Any body hear of the vault?
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:36 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
valley stream , New York
sorry
MegaHitch Lock Coupler Vault Pro Combo Kit
baldeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Yeah, have one on my trailer and boat in my shop (new and old version in use). Never had either one stolen. An no guns or electronic stuff needed to keep the honest and my stuff here as some on this forum would advocate for.

They are heavy, but will totally keep your toys safe except for the extreme situation. Biggest issue with the new ones is the the lock is on the bottom and my bifocals are a pain to line the key up.
I have both my trailer and boat still here so they work very well in my opinion, but they are a chunk of weight so need space in the tow vehicle when towing.

I think the biggest advantage is when camping. My storage is in my shop. I did use them when using secured rental storage and was happy that the heft would keep predatory folks moving on to an easier target.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
"They are heavy, but will totally keep your toys safe except for the extreme situation. Biggest issue with the new ones is the the lock is on the bottom and my bifocals are a pain to line the key up."

And unfortunately for us seniors sometimes a deterrent to use as we must kneel down and look under the lock to get to it
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:58 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Biggest issue with the new ones is the the lock is on the bottom and my bifocals are a pain to line the key up.
I do mine by feel. I fumble around until the key goes in.
There's a guy on YouTube, "The Lock Picking Lawyer" who shows how almost every lock can be disabled in seconds.
It's discouraging to pay $300 for a lock and watch him remove it using a 1/8" drill bit in a precise spot.
But, he's not stealing trailers, and the guy who is probably doesn't have a big tool collection.
Layers of security, and one layer is insurance.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
It's probably been stated earlier in this thread, but none of the above systems will stop a thief for more than a minute or two at most. All can be easily defeated and the internet shows you how. Depending on circumstances, One of the better ones might cause a thief to pass it by for an easier target but none can totally prevent a theft. I'm not saying not to use something but don't get too smug about your security. A recent thread on the forum talks about an Airstream stolen out of a storage facility while it was locked in an enclosed space. Best policy it to keep it insured for replacement cost.