Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Best Anti-Sway Hitch?

We hit the "perfect storm" and rolled our beloved 2003 Airstream Classic (thankfully we were not injured). A cold front coming in with wind gusts, down steep hill and tractor trailer going to fast by us caused the trailer to sway and tip both trailer and TV (Ford Excursion V10). We used an anti-sway hitch with chains and bars but didn't help this time. We pulled our '75 Airstream Excella for 10 years without sway problems. What about the Hensley Arrow hitch, is it worth the money when we replace our Airstream?
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Really sorry to hear that. If you think the hitch would have made a difference you may be a lot more comfortable with a different hitch. Check the Hensley but also look closely at the Pro Pride if you are going to spend that amount of money. Are you getting a new tow vehicle also?
Glad you are OK.
Joe
Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
We hit the "perfect storm" and rolled our beloved 2003 Airstream Classic (thankfully we were not injured). A cold front coming in with wind gusts, down steep hill and tractor trailer going to fast by us caused the trailer to sway and tip both trailer and TV (Ford Excursion V10). We used an anti-sway hitch with chains and bars but didn't help this time. We pulled our '75 Airstream Excella for 10 years without sway problems. What about the Hensley Arrow hitch, is it worth the money when we replace our Airstream?
If you hit the perfect storm, there is no perfect hitch. However I am confident that our ProPride is giving us the best sway control currently available. To me that piece of mind is worth the extra monetary investment, compared to other types of sway control.
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Glad you are OK!

I can't compare since I don't have experience with other brands, but I can say with confidence that our Hensley was the best investment we have made. Had we chosen the ProPride, I suspect I might very well say the same thing about it.

I can't speak to the conditions present when you had your accident, but I will tell you our F250 is MORE stable towing (with the Hensley) than just the F250 alone, which I am sure sounds bizarre. Not saying it would have been the same in your situation, but when we tow in winds it is like there is no wind - we can tell it is windy from looking at the trees.

The Hensley I have found to be very easy to hook up. On some rare occasions (I'm talking 1 out of 100 hookups) it takes me a while and can be a little exasperating.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I went from a Reese dual cam to a Hensley for our trailer, when we had a short wheelbase truck. The Reese would allow the trailer to move around, especially on a windy day descending a hill.
The Hensley allows none of that, and I have also noticed our new F250 seems more stable towing with the Hemsley than just driving, not towing.
The Propride is comparable to the Hensley, with some changes and a somewhat lower cost.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just returned from a couple of thousand miles in my 2012 Intl. This is my 4th trip, and I can vouch for the ProPride 3P. It IS an expensive hitch, but even with the blast of a semi going by at 75 MPH I felt ZERO sway with my 28' trailer. Went through a couple of significant thunderstorms with gusty winds. No sway. Can only report on my own experience, but it is all positive.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
What about the Hensley Arrow hitch, is it worth the money when we replace our Airstream?
Yes it is. I've been towing with a Hensley since our first travel trailer. Many say it's overkill, but last weekend we got our moneys worth...and more. We were driving up a two-lane highway around 90 KPH in the boonies low on gas. My DW and I spotted a gas station and were assessing it's accessibility and with the sun in my eyes I didn't notice a beige car stopped in my lane waiting to turn left. No chance to stop on time, I had no choice but to execute one of those "emergency lane change avoidance manouvers" that I've seen on videos but I never thought I could pull off. Initially I hit the brakes to knock 20 kph off the speed then swerved onto the gravel shoulder and went around the car before re-entering the highway. I really hate cliche's but I have to tell you, God's Honest Truth, my short wheelbase Traverse handed it like the trailer was not there. I've always appreciate the Hensley, but that day I'm convinced it saved my butt, and was worth many times what I paid for it.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Sorry about your accident, but glad you weren't injured. And, welcome to the forum.

I have about 50,000 miles towing experience with the ProPride 3P hitch, and can definately recommend it. The ProPride was designed by the same person that designed the Hensley, only it's a newer design with inprovements.

I've been in one foot on the floor panic stop situation, and lots of windy conditions, and the only time I've expereinced even the slightest of a wiggle was when I went thru a Texas Panhandle whirlwind at 70mph, but it was not a sway.

I would not be without the ProPride.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Glad to hear you made it through kswelch's.

Good testimony here on the Hensley/Propride. They do prevent sway but we must remember they do not reduce the external forces on the truck and trailer that caused it. There is a point if the forces load up enough, it's all going over without warning. In bad conditions slow down even though you "can't even tell it's back there".

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Best Anti-Sway Hitch

Thank you all for your posts about the Hensley and ProPride hitches. After careful consideration and soul-searching, we decided that we love our Airstream adventures too much to not be part of that anymore. We have carefully considered all the posts to our inquiry and have put a deposit down on a 2006 Airtream Classic and have contacted ProPride to order a new anti-sway hitch. We will do whatever we can to avoid this situation happening to us again. We look forward to going to Forum Rallies and getting to know you nice people! Looking forward to getting back on the road again (with lots of prayers for safe travel!)
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I know Sean Woodruff will take good care of you with the ProPride. Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us, and many more years of safe Airstreaming to you both!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Glad you're OK. We have a Hensley, but would use a Pro-Pride as well. Same principal of pivot point projection. I would feel really comfortable with either of these products. I would like to try the new Anderson hitch as it it much lighter but also dosen't have much towing history....Glad you're jumping back in.

Adios,
Daan
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I'll throw my 2 cents in for future readers. I use the Andersen WD with the built in sway control. Traveled 3000 miles in head winds and strong 25 mph+ side winds in the Columbia River Gorge. I had no sway at all the whole rig did move around some, but it was as one unit not just the trailer.. Semi trucks pushed pass with no sway of the trailer at all. I also had an emergency braking situation in portland on the freeway. My first one. I braked so hard the anti lock brakes on the TV came into play. No sway or wagging of the trailer during this emergency braking..

Plus the whole set up is light and easy to put on and off. You can also make sharp back ups without disconnecting, as the whole thing moves as one. It is also micro adjustable so no choosing which weight bars you need..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I am about 1 1/2 years ownership with the ProPride hitch and love it. It seems to back a little sharper, and is very stable on the highway. Coming from a Reese there is a learning curve. Sean provides excellent service.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
I cant speak to the other brands, but I can tell you that we are very happy so far with our Equal-i-zer 6K for our 19' Bambi. I also talked to their customer service about adjustments and a replacement part and they were stellar.
netman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
You might want to check this site for future reference:
Largo, FL Trailer Hitch - 5th Wheel Hitch - Trailer Parts
john121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The 'virtual pivot' systems like Hensley or PP are 'the end' as far as it comes to sway, as they don't control it, they eliminate it. As noted though, that force doesn't disappear... it is just spread through the hitch and tow vehicle as it is essentially a virtual solid coupling. In your scenario, it is possible these forces could overwhelm even these high-end hitches and you could have a catastrophic failure...

Other VPP rigs have wrecked... so it doesn't fix everything. If you are a frequent tow-er in all kinds of weather, it's worth it. For others the finances of it don't make as much sense...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It also depends on how big (WB)and heavy your tow vehicle is by comparison to your trailer. It noticed a great deal of difference when I went from my 3/4 ton van to my 1 ton, crew cab, full bed dually. The dually cost more than a $3,000 hitch, but had other advantages and uses.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
The 'virtual pivot' systems like Hensley or PP are 'the end' as far as it comes to sway, as they don't control it, they eliminate it. As noted though, that force doesn't disappear... it is just spread through the hitch and tow vehicle as it is essentially a virtual solid coupling. In your scenario, it is possible these forces could overwhelm even these high-end hitches and you could have a catastrophic failure...

Other VPP rigs have wrecked... so it doesn't fix everything. If you are a frequent tow-er in all kinds of weather, it's worth it. For others the finances of it don't make as much sense...
Hi, so sorry to here about your accident. And glad that no-one was hurt. The VPP hitches are good, but I agree with Friday. More than likely you were going too fast, down hill, in the wind, and being passed by speeding big rigs. These are all bad especially when combined. Whatever hitch you decide to buy and use should not give you the feeling of over confidence. Slow down, going down steep grades. This seems to be where I have read the most loss of control trailer accidents have happened. I'm very happy to say that in the eight years that I have owned my trailer, driven in all kinds of weather, for many thousands of miles, through all of the Western states including Canada and Alaska, my trailer has only swayed violently out of control once. This was when my trailer was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Another plus for the Equal-i-zer by progressive mfg ... PM for any questions / details.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote