Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I suggest you look closer at the various combination WD and sway control hitches which employ various methods of friction and asymmetric geometry tensioning to achieve yaw damping. You and I both know that any amount of yaw angle resistance increases yaw damping and critical speed. You may not recall or realize it shifts yaw damping vs. speed nearly proportionally for the entire range of speeds of interest.

As you review the various designs you will notice for many sway damping partially or fully relies on WD tension to achieve yaw damping, so it is not possible to release WD without removing sway control. But again for situations like mine with 15% tongue weight and a vehicle 3000 lbs heavier than the trailer, with no sway control critical speed is apparently north of 80mph, and oversteer is not an issue and yet is employ both WD and sway control. If I understand you correctly, you are advising that I remove WD. I'm at a loss to see why you advise that for my situation.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
....I don’t agree...our Reese duel cam does both...anti-sway and load equalizing...
We had a Reese! It was only good to a point. When it reached its maximum ability, it failed. Anti sway is not NO sway. After our accident we couldn't even find the anti sway bars!

We now have a Propride. NO SWAY! We went an email to Reese and they did not even respond!

Hensley is the only other NO sway hitch. They did not seem to have the great service that Propride has.
Lesson learned, you get what you pay for. So how much is your life worth?
Old 09-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #143
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASWinos View Post
So does anyone on this forum use a Blue Ox hitch? I believe that’s what my dealer is likely to suggest for our new GB 25.
I do. It works fine pulling my 25FB with my Toyota Tundra. AS in Chicago only installs BO.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
We had a Reese! It was only good to a point. When it reached its maximum ability, it failed. Anti sway is not NO sway. After our accident we couldn't even find the anti sway bars!

We now have a Propride. NO SWAY! We went an email to Reese and they did not even respond!

Hensley is the only other NO sway hitch. They did not seem to have the great service that Propride has.
Lesson learned, you get what you pay for. So how much is your life worth?
Just be aware the Hensley and ProPride PPP hitches are not NO SWAY. They too have limits. On a winding steep downgrade when articulation angle exceeds 1.5 degrees, which is the curvature of a 50-60 mph corner, the effective projection has dropped enough that sway risk is non-zero depending on other (rather rare) circumstances.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
exactly! I have been preaching that one size do not fit all sizes. That applies to all Bambi, Caravel, Nest, and Basecamp AS which has low tongue weight compared to longer ones.

When I buy longer AS (25 or 27) that is when I will consider looking into WDH, depending on which TV I would tow with.

If i buy a bike to tow 16' Bambi, ill get a WDH
So why do you follow this topic?
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I just picked up 2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB in Salt Lake City, Utah but did not practice proper weight distribution placement. There was slight swaying where there was strong winds in Idaho toward West Yellowstone I pulled off and moved heavy stuff toward the front. No more swaying at all. I drove on without any issues No WDH at all. No anti-Swaying bars at all.

FYI I drove 75 MPH even in 80 MPH areas. No issues. I am not saying that you should drop all bars but it’s the weight of your AS vs your TV.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
So why do you follow this topic?
One WDH doesn’t fit all sizes
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #148
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
I don't know, Collyn, I'm going to have to call BS on that. You should dust off your matrix algebra and Laplace transforms and run this again, because when I look at it, it doesn't take much yaw damping to raise the critical speed and sway periodicity enough to make a world of difference. I mean 10 mph is almost a world away if all you need is 2. Also though forces rise with the square of velocity, net sway damping declines almost linearly with speed.
I do not need to 'dust off my matrix algebra and Laplace transforms' to advise you they relate primarily to the space and time of two systems moving at a constant velocity relative to each other and mainly at the speed of light' - which travels even faster than you tow your Airstream.

Re your "Also though forces rise with the square of velocity, net sway damping declines almost linearly with speed." Are somehow suggesting that 'speed' and 'velocity' are totally different concepts - or what do you mean?

Collyn
Old 09-26-2020, 04:41 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Also useful dimensional kinematics and feedback control stability. I often informally use velocity and speed interchangeably though perhaps I shouldn't.

Still waiting for you to address concerns about modest WD tension used when nowhere near axle and towing limits.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #150
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Also useful dimensional kinematics and feedback control stability. I often informally use velocity and speed interchangeably though perhaps I shouldn't.

Still waiting for you to address concerns about modest WD tension used when nowhere near axle and towing limits.
Basically, there are no plusses (but some minuses) if you use a WDH when nowhere near axle and towing limits. As you post a fair bit re this I would have not unreasonably thought you would be aware of them yourself.

Towing a trailer via an overhung is inherently unstable - but not likely to be an issue if the limitations are limited and reduced as far as possible. So why use that WDH if 'nowhere near axle and towing limits'?

The issue is simply that any WD tension tends to reduce 'cornering power' and that can only be a minus - albeit a small minus if that tension is modest. So why use it at all?

Collyn
Old 09-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
An underloaded setup has excessive understeer. WD adds load but no mass to the font axle, increasing front axle cornering power. I show the effect as improving cornering power. Where have I gone wrong?
Old 09-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #152
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
An underloaded setup has excessive understeer. WD adds load but no mass to the font axle, increasing front axle cornering power. I show the effect as improving cornering power. Where have I gone wrong?
RE - "An underloaded setup will only have excess understeer if the rear tyre pressure is too high- or the front too low."

You have a good point but its really better to use tire pressures that are correct for the load - than mess around with WDH settings that may or may not be correct.

Collyn
Old 09-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #153
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collyn View Post
RE - "An underloaded setup will only have excess understeer if the rear tyre pressure is too high- or the front too low."

You have a good point but its really better to use tire pressures that are correct for the load - than mess around with WDH settings that may or may not be correct.

Collyn
92 is your current post count.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:

Skip the gobbledygook and use an EQUALIZER.....
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collyn View Post

Wait, you say that WD is bad because of reduced rear traction and your solution to the reduced front traction from no WD is to reduce rear traction with air pressure?
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #156
Wilrichwin

1966 24' Tradewind
1986 27' Sovereign
1969 31' Sovereign
1996 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to WilRichwin
Me and my father before me have towed our 7 Airstreams with Reese Sway Control Equalizing Hitches for over 50.years. I even went through an ice storm in Arkansas and down over an embankment Chrysler wagon and 66 Tradewind in tow. No problem. No offense to newer approaches but they have served us well from 19’ globe trotter to 31’ Sovereigns. New ones are fine but nothing wrong with used ones. Classic American Enginering! If there is a sag you can just go up one link on the chain. The dual cam sway control can’t be beat. Forget these new complicated hitches. I was at the Cherry Blossom Rally over a decade ago where one of these newer hitches got stock in the mud. Had to be unhitched and I got through fine.
WilRichwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #157
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
Wait, you say that WD is bad because of reduced rear traction and your solution to the reduced front traction from no WD is to reduce rear traction with air pressure?
Front(lower)to rear(higher) pressure differential controls how the TV handles. An example is that 1/2 tons almost always have the same air pressure recommended for both front and rear while 3/4 tons have a pressure differential. The 3/4 tons have this to control handling with higher loads in the rear of the vehicle. The same principle applies to load in the bed or trailer tongue load. The newer way of thinking is to find the balance of Understeer Gradient and Sway damping which you can’t do with a high amount of tension on the WDH.
Caution! Most advice given here is nothing more than a subjective opinion. Please reference the vehicles owner manual for instruction on towing and hitch use which is based on physics, facts, and research.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:42 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
Yeah that is essentially the advice. Rather than restoring front axle cornering ability, set tire pressure so the rear is nearly as poor.

A more sensible approach seems to be to restore front axle cornering stiffness with WD and then use higher rear tire pressure to ensure rear axle cornering remains slightly better than the front. On underloaded vehicles there remains plenty of room to work with and the result is improved steering and handling than with no WD.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #159
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
If front axle grip is that severely compromised by the addition of TW alone you have the wrong TV. Stability control of the combination happens at the rear tires, the front is secondary. The WDH only controls the vertical effects of tongue load but does nothing for the lateral/horizontal effects.
Caution! Most advice given here is nothing more than a subjective opinion. Please reference the vehicles owner manual for instruction on towing and hitch use which is based on physics, facts, and research.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my F-150 came from the factory with load range "C" LT tires. My door sticker says to run 40 lbs air pressure front and rear. [max is 50 lbs.] For my set up the magic number turns out to be: leave the front tires at 40 lbs. and inflate the rear tires to 50 lbs.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote