Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
You hit the forum discussion issue square on, could not agree more.

With regard to possitive feedback, that would only apply for setups and situations involving oversteer. For vehicles towing well below (<75%) the maximum rated capacity oversteer is not an issue so this warning is misplaced as it applies to the situation you previously described.

Same is true of the SAE 2807 guidance which again applies ONLY AT OR NEAR maximum towing capacity where indeed cornering power or capability can be reduced by up to 25% with improper application of WDH. When one is towing well below vehicle capacity this guidance simply does not apply, it is demonstrably false.
These comments just continues to reinforce your lack of knowledge on the subject. But hey to those on the forum that don’t know any better (almost all on here) you’re a hero. You can continue to pretend to be the smartest one on the forum if you like but true professional engineers can see through your masquerade.
Caution! Most advice given here is nothing more than a subjective opinion. Please reference the vehicles owner manual for instruction on towing and hitch use which is based on physics, facts, and research.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:52 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I just note the other trained in engineering, automotive suspension systems and towing expert does not take exception to the statements you are calling out and previously generally agreed with them. Collyn was the person these comments were directed because his warnings were incomplete. these statements complement his warning and clarify where they do and don't apply and here again he did not take exception. That makes you the outlier.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #83
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
OK, the argument has turned nasty, you know you’re losing. Time to reach into the bag of really dirty tricks, you have to take this to the one place the engineer can’t go. Take logic completely out of the equation. Once you bring personal preference or emotion into an argument the engineer is powerless. These are not based on data. Somewhere at a lower level the engineer struggles to believe these relate to a form of logic he just doesn’t understand.
This is also why you didn’t attack their logic. Even though he’s not sure, the engineer is trained to follow the same rules. If he doesn’t understand your logic, the engineer will almost always stand down. Just think about all the arguments McCoy won against Spock, logic almost always came last.
You still won’t win them all but your engineer will know he’s been in an argument .😂👍
© Copyright 2012 Byron Seastrunk

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
OK, the argument has turned nasty, you know you’re losing. Time to reach into the bag of really dirty tricks, you have to take this to the one place the engineer can’t go. Take logic completely out of the equation. Once you bring personal preference or emotion into an argument the engineer is powerless. These are not based on data. Somewhere at a lower level the engineer struggles to believe these relate to a form of logic he just doesn’t understand.
This is also why you didn’t attack their logic. Even though he’s not sure, the engineer is trained to follow the same rules. If he doesn’t understand your logic, the engineer will almost always stand down. Just think about all the arguments McCoy won against Spock, logic almost always came last.
You still won’t win them all but your engineer will know he’s been in an argument .😂👍
© Copyright 2012 Byron Seastrunk

Bob
🇺🇸
The last time I checked I found Newton's more basic laws still applied. Not much one can do for those seemingly immune.

Collyn
Old 09-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #85
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collyn View Post
The last time I checked I found Newton's more basic laws still applied. Not much one can do for those seemingly immune.

Collyn
I just got vaccinated for the "Seemingly Immune" virus.

Engineers who can't agree on something cause the havoc-syndrome.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We like our Reese duel cam...with the 2500 4 x 4 ram and 13 31’ classic..
7700. The ram is heavier than the trailer...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sometimes you have to just shoot the engineers, implement a practical solution, and drive on.

I’ve built a little Overkill Engineering into my system and I’m running with it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Has anyone mentioned the ProPride?
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #89
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Best Anti-Sway Hitch?

That’s what I run, with added power operated WD jacks. I get accused of being too enthusiastic about it, but that’s how it goes. I will not tow anything without a ProPride system.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:41 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, so sorry to here about your accident. And glad that no-one was hurt. The VPP hitches are good, but I agree with Friday. More than likely you were going too fast, down hill, in the wind, and being passed by speeding big rigs. These are all bad especially when combined. Whatever hitch you decide to buy and use should not give you the feeling of over confidence. Slow down, going down steep grades. This seems to be where I have read the most loss of control trailer accidents have happened. I'm very happy to say that in the eight years that I have owned my trailer, driven in all kinds of weather, for many thousands of miles, through all of the Western states including Canada and Alaska, my trailer has only swayed violently out of control once. This was when my trailer was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake.
Couldn't you buy an earthquake control system for your AS and TV?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
Couldn't you buy an earthquake control system for your AS and TV?
Hi, I moved to Oregon and haven't felt a single Earthquake yet. [YET]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I just got vaccinated for the "Seemingly Immune" virus.

Engineers who can't agree on something cause the havoc-syndrome.

Bob
🇺🇸
Can't be sure, but I think I recall profxd is not formally trained in engineering and he is the outlier. Collyn and I generally agree technically. Our dispute seems to be in how to message and what snark to employ.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Has anyone mentioned the ProPride?

It may be a hard pill to swallow for some, but the ProPride is objectively best performing when considering technical merits only. They took a great idea and improved the implementation. Still it was Hensley who brought this idea to market. I will forever refer to this as a Hensley type hitch.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I try to use the term “Hensley Designed Hitch System” when I’m being generic. Note that the ProPride was also designed by Jim Hensley, and the improved design was implemented and sold only by ProPride.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #95
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
It may be a hard pill to swallow for some, but the ProPride is objectively best performing when considering technical merits only. They took a great idea and improved the implementation. Still it was Hensley who brought this idea to market. I will forever refer to this as a Hensley type hitch.
Just say PPP.

Bob
🇺🇸
Been with us since '95.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12CDE0E7-522D-4134-82C7-45EF615A051E_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	378861   Click image for larger version

Name:	CE3DF822-2E6B-4D8A-81F8-A42D5EE21E96_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	378862  

Old 09-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

Church Point , NSW
Quote:
Can't be sure, but I think I recall profxd is not formally trained in engineering and he is the outlier. Collyn and I generally agree technically. Our dispute seems to be in how to message and what snark to employ.
By and large I agree. There does seem to be a difference between fora behaviour in Australia and the USA.

What seems clear however is that some posting on this thread do not understand the difference between engineering facts and lay opinions.

Re: 'snarks' - I swore then and there a solemn oath never to try to make the word snark an internationally accepted scientific term.'
(From the Cambridge English Corpus)

May I suggest we stay with that!

Collyn
Old 09-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #97

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Pro Pride is the IMPROVED hensley. Support second to none.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #98
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
As a young'n we used the hunt snarks...no wait that was snipes.
Ahh the memories, sitting quietly with Dad in the snipe shack, waiting to sling the net.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Bob, wasn't that the same time streaking was popular?
Old 09-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
If your happy with your choices...you can bask in your spotlight🦩
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote