Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #1

2007 28' Safari SE
Little Rock , Arkansas
Bargman 12V Breakaway Switch Burned

While hitching up my Safari for a quick weekend getaway, my Bargman 12V breakaway switch caught fire and burned with the pin in. It's probably 2 years old. The time between securing the umbillical cord around the receiver and plugging in the pin was only seconds. I had to use a fire extinguisher on it several times as it kept smoldering. While the unit burned the brakes were engaged. When I finally succeded in extinguishing the fire, the brakes released. Anyone had a similiar experience?
mmmtob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmtob View Post
While hitching up my Safari for a quick weekend getaway, my Bargman 12V breakaway switch caught fire and burned with the pin in. It's probably 2 years old. The time between securing the umbillical cord around the receiver and plugging in the pin was only seconds. I had to use a fire extinguisher on it several times as it kept smoldering. While the unit burned the brakes were engaged. When I finally succeded in extinguishing the fire, the brakes released. Anyone had a similiar experience?
I haven't seen this in the Bargman switches, but I have dealt with it on SOBs that were not wired properly. You had a dead short within the switch that grounded to the frame and pulled the full amperage from the battery into the switch. The wire gauge within the switch could not support this big amp draw, overheated and ignited!

I would contact either Airstream or Bargman for a replacement switch under warranty, AND I would replace ALL of the wiring right back to the battery.

PS: Welcome to the Forums!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v