Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Ball Grease or Not?

OK fellow Airstreamers, need your help. We have been using teflon ball grease for the past two years on our hitch ball and our Reese weight dist. bars. So have many of our fellow AS'ers. Well yesterday my very good friend Don (you all know Don don't you?) stopped by one of the RV centers here in CT and they advised him to never put any type of grease on his ball.

Well, we would love to hear from the rest of you on what you do to keep things smooth?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thats a new one on me. did they offer any explanation for this advice?

you should NOT put any grease on the cams of your dual-cam hitch. that works by friction....grease defeats its function. If the noise it makes when you turn bugs you, Reese says you can put vaseline on the cams, which isn't all that slippery...not enough to impede its functionality, anyway. I've done that, and its amazing that it really works. But no grease on those.
for the trunion heads, they recommend a couple of drops of machine oil...like 3-in-1 oil.
and just so ya know, I'm just parroting Reese's recommendation. not my "opinion."
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Whispering around the campfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
... and they advised him to never put any type of grease on his ball.

Well, we would love to hear from the rest of you on what you do to keep things smooth?
Their purported advice is wrong. The ball needs to be greased as well as only the areas Chuck mentioned.

Perhaps their advice was misunderstood/misreported.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Rick, One good long trip with no grease and I can gaurantee you will be needing a new ball. The one that is used without grease will gaul very badly. It is possible, and no I'm not saying it definitely would happen, but it is possible that a ball can be worked loose by running it with no grease. The Reese people make the wonderful Teflon grease for our safety and to protect our equipment (as well as to make a profit). They would not make much money making a product for an application that you should not be using it on! Oh, and by the way, the surfaces that will gauld your ball will need replacement as well.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
...Oh, and by the way, the surfaces that will gauld your ball will need replacement as well.
And that's the kicker. Karma to you, steelbird, for pointing that important fact out.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Well done my fellow Airstreamers! I was positive that greasing one ball was the correct thing to do. I guess I just needed to hear it from my friends.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
One good long trip with no grease and I can gaurantee you will be needing a new ball.
Have you noticed how many folks don't grease the ball and get along just fine? For years? And many miles?

I used the Reese Hitch Lube over two years and got more galling on the ball than running dry. I have also used wheel bearing grease and other concoctions. I have seen reports from the wax paper and zip lock bag advocates, too.

I also understand the concern about the ball receptacle but I seldom see anyone replacing that. The only significant wear item there seems to be the ball latch.

What I do like to do is to clean the ball and the coupler with a paper towel and then use a spray on silicone or teflon lube -- that more for keeping the dirt out than lubrication.

I don't really see much of a downside to lubing the ball except for my personal experience. I do wonder about the conviction and emotion that is shown here on the topic, though.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I was told to never put grease on the ball. It is part of the friction system for the WD hitch.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have towed over 5000 miles this year with no grease on my ball. It has held up fine. Until the truck rolled and pulled itself out of the tongue.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I've had a hitch ball gall from lack of grease and also ruined a set of EA-Z-Lift torsion bars by not greasing the ends. A synthetic bearing grease like Amzoil won't turn into white snot like most regular grease. I'm guessing the teflon grease Reese sells is similar to the white tefon grease bike shops sell for bearings. It too is waterproof. Besided the galling an ungreased unused ball will rust. That's not good!

The down side of grease is that 1) it can make a mess (old tennis ball or flamingo hitch cover ) and 2) the grease attracts dirt which can muck up the works worse than anything. The white teflon grease is nice in that it cleans up readilly. Good old WD40 is a good cleaner and protectant but a lousy lubricant.

I'll have to reread the instructions for my Reese trunion bars. I could have sworn they recommended greasing the ends where they insert/twist into the hitch head. Could be wrong or maybe they've changed the recommencation. I know they've changed their tune about leveling via bar tension.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Where there is friction you need grease to slow wear and decrease noise. We have always greased our tow ball and associated heavy used towing equipment. Never have had a problem.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
From Reese website

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
FAQs

What kind of maintenance do I need to do to the weight distributing hitch
WDH and sway controls?

Lubricate the ballmount sockets and spring bar trunnions to prevent rapid wear. When hooking-up, place one drop of oil on the top and a second drop on forward side of upper trunnion. Place a third drop on the rear side of lower trunnion before inserting trunnion into ballmount. Use a heavy oil such as "REESE ON THE BALL". Don't forget to lubricate the hitch ball with one or two drops also. Trunnion should be lubricated each towing day. It is not necessary to unhook the spring bars however, as there are two oil holes in the ballmount top plate for upper trunnion lubrication. Lubricate lower trunnions with one drop at contact point between trunnion and lower socket. Excess oil, dirt, and grit should be wiped out whenever trailer is uncoupled.

Can I grease the Dual Cam Sway Control (DCSC)?

Do not grease the cam and cam arms. The Dual Cam was designed to use metal-to-metal friction. Heavy greasing of the cam and cam arm surfaces with affect performance. If noise is offensive, a very light coating of lubricant, such as Vaseline, may be used. Tongue weights over 1,200 lbs. may require a light coating of grease to reduce friction and prevent excessive wear. The Dual Cam Sway Control DCSC is not to be lubricated on the cam arms when the tongue weight is under 1,200 lbs. Instead you will want to apply a thin coat of a petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline. This will act as a poor lubricant, but works well to dampen the sound. For trailers with over 1,200 lbs. tongue weight you should apply a couple of drops of an 80/90 gear lube to the cam arm to prevent excessive wear caused by the increased tongue weight.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #13
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Uh, oh. Here comes a story...

My dad moved mobile homes in the late 60s and early 70's, back when the idea was that a mobile home should be mobile. Many of them belonged to folks in the military. These would have the wheels still on them (or stacked up under a tarp) when he came to move them. He would always pack the wheel bearings, inspect the tires, and put a good slobbering of the wheelbearing grease all over his ball before taking off.

Like many others, he had an International Transtar with a big gas engine, huge gull-wing hood, and a dual-wheel single axle.

The rear frame could slide in and out to increase or decrease the wheelbase. Being short was necessary to tow one of the new 60 footers and stay within length requirements back then. The hitch ball could be moved up and down and was attached to a tall gas tank/tool box mounted right behind the cab. When the frame was extended, the tool box and the gas tank moved aft as well. It also rode noticeably better when it was extended.

It was a cool truck when gasoline was cheap.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I towed a gooseneck horse trailer for years and followed the mfg recommendation to grease the ball. I picked up my new AS and the ball was greased by the dealer. Who am I to argue with the experts. I personally keep the ball greased ( and clean !)
Scott
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The service manager didn't mention greasing the ball when I picked up my new Airstream and he installed my Equal-i-zer hitch on it and my truck. I guess I need to confirm with him. I have pulled over 4,500 miles now and the chrome has worn off of the ball in a ring, but there is no pitting. Is that gualling?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
When I bought my AS earlier this year, the dealer's shop supervisor told me to never ever grease my Equalizer hitch b/c that would make it ineffective. Completely dry, the trailer and hitch sounded like an old creaky battleship trying to dock - it was loud enough that people looks at us oddly when we pulled into camp. Also, after a couple of short trips, my trailer ball was gouged/galled, whatever you want to call it. Clearly something wasn't right.

Just by going to the Equalizer website I found the correct instructions showing that the hitch should be greased. I now grease the ball/hitch religiously and everything is great.

Goes to show that the so-called experts can be wrong and give you poor advice sometimes.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Grease mixed with dirt = lapping compound, which will accelerate wear.

Each travel day I clean the ball and the trailer's socket with paper towel and WD-40. Then I lube the ball with wheel bearing grease. Even with care after 4 years the ball is wearing and due for replacement.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
dbradhstream, I have been advised to grease the spring bar brackets where the spring bars ride to eliminate the noise you mentioned and to grease the sockets/pivots in the hitch head but no mention of the ball. The only thing I have seen about greasing the ball was on an RV show that said greasing the ball would cause dirt to collect on the ball and cause gauges in the ball or pitts to occur that could cause the sand particles to wedge in them and cause the ball to turn and become loose.

On another show the "RV doctor" demonstrated how loose the ball could become and then recommended lots and lots and lots of grease on the ball. So much that he must have put a 1/4" thick all around and told the owner to do this every time they towed. This left me confused!

I have a tube of the socket grease from Equal-i-zer so I guess I'm going to have to get some teflon grease for the ball this weekend.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of the guys at my dealership advised against lubing the ball. He said most folks don't keep it clean and the junk that gets embedded into the lube does more harm than good.

I thought that sounded pretty good but after one year of towing the Classic this way, the ball got chewed up pretty good. My neighbor who is a tool and die maker also noted that that damage to the ball would also shorten the life of the mechinism that clamps onto the ball itself.

So I got a new ball, went back to using my Reese teflon lube, making sure to wipe off the old stuff and relubing with clean before each trip. I've been doing this for 2 years now and the ball is still smooth.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
If there was a lube that didn't attract dirt that would be ideal. Unfortunately with the loads involved I don't think there is such a product. Having a chromed ball certainly helps prevent rust and in it's self presents a smooth relatively low friction surface. One big advantage I think is that it's easy to clean off. I think that's the big attraction I see in the white teflon grease too.

As far as dirt acting as a lapping compound that's not the end of the world. Lapping is something that's done to smooth out irregularities or remove minute amounts of material so that things slide easier. Where I would be most concerned about the dirt and gunk buildup is in the mechanism on the trailer tounge and other enclosed places.

With the EA-Z-Lift and copies of that style the spring loaded pins on the hitch head and the grooves on the torsion bars are very susepable ot wear. They're also hard to keep clean so you really need to keep on top of the maintenance.

Has anyone used graphite lube like they recommend for lock cylinders in the mechanism on the trailer? That or some other form of dry lube would seem to be a good solution.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote