Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Glad to know someone else has this same hitch. We had heard differing schools of thought on grease use. Have not used any yet, but noise is less than it was. What brand/type of grease did you use?
dlenloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
There are many good grease products out there. I use Lucas Oil, Red "N" Tacky on just about everything.
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #23
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We use a "High Pressure" waterproof grease. You can find at any 'bearing supply' house and sometimes at auto stores.. (but chain stores less likely to carry).
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Does that also eliminate the sway control action? There should be friction. Am I wrong.?
I agree. When you grease your hitch bars you decrease the sway control. My Equalizer hitch manual actually says you can grease the bars to get rid of the noise. Strange.

Weight distribution and sway control are two completely different things and if you try to do both together you're not going to get a good result. Some manufacturers offer some very inexpensive separate sway control and weight distribution which you can adjust independently. This may be a better solution to the two problems.
Mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
I agree. When you grease your hitch bars you decrease the sway control. My Equalizer hitch manual actually says you can grease the bars to get rid of the noise. Strange.
Depends on the type of hitch and where you grease. Not all WD hitches are designed for sway control.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Mohave , Arizona
Not really grease.

The garage door lube is not really grease. More PTFE and silicone. Has not affected the action of the Equalizer. But does remove the noise.
Gypsydoc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #27

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Equal-i-zer sells a set of pads for a under $20 that pretty much eliminates the noise. Works great, should be safe they designed it.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #28
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Funny how often the question of grease vs. sway control comes up for Equal-i-zer hitches. If they aren't maintained and accessorized properly, they do in fact thunk, clunk, and groan like a ziggurat full of of zombies. Fortunately, its easy to make this into a wonderful quiet hitch that performs beautifully. A pair of sway bracket jackets and a little grease at the pivot points is all you need. Don't grease the bars where they rest on the sway brackets, that's no fun and it makes a huge mess. Don't ask me how I know that. [emoji6] Lastly, torque the pivot points in the head to roughly 30 pounds. You're good to go!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote