Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
Thanks for the advice on slowing down, but my comment was for when you need to pass the large 18 wheelers on the interstates, there is no sway.
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:43 AM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia
Thanks for the advice on slowing down, but my comment was for when you need to pass the large 18 wheelers on the interstates, there is no sway.
We may have overreacted a bit, but no one wants you to find out if the Hensley keeps you from swaying if a tire blows out.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
I towed a 30' Holiday Rambler for six years with a Hensley. I've now towed with an Equal-I-Zer brand hitch for about a year and a half. I find the Equal-I-Zer much more accurate to back into tight places due to there being no slop in the coupler to hitch ball connection. Hitching / unhitching is much easier also.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:11 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
...no one wants you to find out if the Hensley keeps you from swaying if a tire blows out.
I have it from first hand experience that unless you are looking in your rear veiw mirrors when your tire blows, you will never feel it or know that it happened. The hensley eliminates any prospect of sway.

What a grand piece of equipment.

Mark
Old 08-08-2005, 06:59 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Rivet Cause & Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
I have it from first hand experience that unless you are looking in your rear veiw mirrors when your tire blows, you will never feel it or know that it happened.* The hensley eliminates any prospect of sway.

What a grand piece of equipment.

Mark
(*emphasis added)

Somehow I am not convinced that is something to be happy or proud about.
If that is the rule, then after spending 3000 dollars for a hitch, shouldn't one add another 400-1000 dollars for a blowout sensoring system.
After all a flailing tire can do about 4000 dollars damage to your airstream undies, which will of course give you a perfect opportunity to see how kind your insurance policy is which will lead to an eventual rate increase. And the beat goes on.
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Unhappy Titan Owners!

Please consider the following for safety's sake in braking and emergency handling. A new 25' Airstream weighs enough to put the numbers into the trouble zone regardless of the hitch.

Consider Airstream's FAQs.

Look in your manual for Vehicle Load Weight Capacity (it's page 9-20 in my 2004 manual). Find your vehicle. This is the maximum load you can put on or in your truck.* This includes passengers, tongue weight, gasoline, tonneau cover, camp chairs, etc. (You also can open your driver door and look low on the frame just above the running board). My GVWR is 6499#, my front axle maxes at 3500# and my rear axle maxes at 3800#. Crank up those weight distribution bars and get thee to a CAT Scale. Hold those dear to you and seek the best solution.

*Forget the advertised 9000# tow weight or the GCWR. Why? Because tongue weight is going to trend to the higher end of 10-15% of your tow weight.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:30 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
, Washington
Towing With A Nissan Armada

Thanks for the heads up on the tongue/rear axle weight when towing with your Titan. I pull my 2004 28ft International with a Nissan Armada (Big Tow package) and a Hensley hitch. On a recent long-haul to the mountains in TN, I stopped at a weigh station to weigh the rig. Gross weight of both trailer and truck were 12,800 pounds with 4,200 pounds on the back axle of the truck. We drove 3,200 miles round trip without any difficulty. The truck was loaded up with gear (generator, fuel, other stuff) and the water tank in the trailer was full.

I have been cranking to the same setting on the weight distributing bars since I purchased the hitch 8 months ago. I find that if I crank them too much, the ride in the truck becomes too stiff and I worry about over-stressing the A-frame on the trailer.

By the way, I love the Hensley! Had a regular old hitch before and had lots of white nuckle scares when big trucks would pass. Now it's smooth sailing. No trouble backing up either.
kavosCCD is offline   Reply With Quote