Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
Backing up with a Hensley

so here's the scenario; Back up, hensley swings into position, stop, turn a little, pull forward hensley straightens out, then back up again and hensley swings to the other side, repeat repeat..
is there a way to lock the hensley in the center position so it can't change sides? I back my 34 classic 200 feet up hill to its parking spot, it would be nice if it just stayed locked in one position.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgofaz View Post
so here's the scenario; Back up, hensley swings into position, stop, turn a little, pull forward hensley straightens out, then back up again and hensley swings to the other side, repeat repeat..
is there a way to lock the hensley in the center position so it can't change sides? I back my 34 classic 200 feet up hill to its parking spot, it would be nice if it just stayed locked in one position.
I had one for a while, it went away and was replaced with a Reese duel cam.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It should simply rotate 180 degrees, and then move as you turn.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Have NOT had that problem. Once I get the turn started, it follows fine.

I just have to remember the pivot point is in the center of the TV bed, not at the hitch ball.

Once you keep that firmly in mind, no issues backing up...it sounds like you are overcorrecting.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome aboard!

No.

If you lock the pivot of the hitch, there is no way to get the trailer to turn.

Our 34 turns well with our ProPride, similar to Hensley.. It does "swing" left when trying to go right.. for a moment. It took practice... our previous home required backing up about 100', from the city street, at about 45degree angle, aiming tires over a 8'x 20" wide set of ramps I made from 2x4s to cross the "road dip" at the curb, then a reverse 45 turn while missing the side of our home, then thru a gate, the between my shop and fence (11' wide)...

Backing it can be done.. probably..

Good luck!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
i can backup ok, it's just the changes in direction sometimes provide a solid 'thunk' when hitch settles in to a new spot, its annoying mostly and seems unnecessary.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I never noticed much of a difference from any other hitch I've had????????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
i can backup ok, it's just the changes in direction sometimes provide a solid 'thunk' when hitch settles in to a new spot, its annoying mostly and seems unnecessary.

Yeah, the thunk is when the hitch hits max travel... "normal"..

Thanks for clarifying!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
dvgofaz,
Would you please take some pictures of the hitch (maybe top vies, left and right side view) and post them. I'd like to see how your hitch is installed and adjusted.

I have a Hensley Arrow on my 34' Airstream and I've towed with it for slightly over ten years. Previously, I've owned a Reese Dual Cam and another weight distributing hitch on other trailers and I think that they have all been similar in operation when it comes to backing up. I also have a difficult situation when it comes to backing my trailer up my driveway as I have to make a fairly tight turn from a fairly narrow residential street and then my driveway goes uphill. My biggest challenge is hooking the Hensley up since the tow vehicle is at one attitude and the trailer is at a very different attitude. All of this has taken some time to develop and refine techniques.

One important aspect regarding the adjustment of the Hensley is that the left and right strut assemblies (turnbuckle-like devices) need to be adjusted so that the hitch is centered when the vehicle is driving straight ahead and the turnbuckles need to be tightly pressing against each other without slack.

The only bumping action that I ever encountered (which can be startling/disconcerting) is when the trailer brake controller is maladjusted and the vehicle is stopping sooner than the trailer and the trailer bumps over to the side. My current tow vehicle has an integrated trailer brake controller and this is never a problem.

All my best,

Steve

P. S.: I'd really like to help get this figured out as the Hensley is an excellent hitch. I also think that the 34' Airstreams are superb trailers.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
dvgofaz,
Would you please take some pictures of the hitch (maybe top vies, left and right side view) and post them. I'd like to see how your hitch is installed and adjusted.

I have a Hensley Arrow on my 34' Airstream and I've towed with it for slightly over ten years. Previously, I've owned a Reese Dual Cam and another weight distributing hitch on other trailers and I think that they have all been similar in operation when it comes to backing up. I also have a difficult situation when it comes to backing my trailer up my driveway as I have to make a fairly tight turn from a fairly narrow residential street and then my driveway goes uphill. My biggest challenge is hooking the Hensley up since the tow vehicle is at one attitude and the trailer is at a very different attitude. All of this has taken some time to develop and refine techniques.

One important aspect regarding the adjustment of the Hensley is that the left and right strut assemblies (turnbuckle-like devices) need to be adjusted so that the hitch is centered when the vehicle is driving straight ahead and the turnbuckles need to be tightly pressing against each other without slack.

The only bumping action that I ever encountered (which can be startling/disconcerting) is when the trailer brake controller is maladjusted and the vehicle is stopping sooner than the trailer and the trailer bumps over to the side. My current tow vehicle has an integrated trailer brake controller and this is never a problem.

All my best,

Steve

P. S.: I'd really like to help get this figured out as the Hensley is an excellent hitch. I also think that the 34' Airstreams are superb trailers.
^X2. With the struts adjusted to absolute center (I use a camera), the struts tight and brake controller adjusted properly....I don't even have the "bump"....haven't had it for 3 years or so. One other thing I did several years ago. I had a suspicion that the struts were sliding from one side to the other on their end pins and within their mounting pockets. This would allow for periodic, albeit slight, length difference and tightness as they move around. I cut small PVC pipe sleeves for the extra room on the pins to hold them in a constant position. I think that helped with the "bump", as well as other centering potential issues.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
dvgofaz -

I have the Hensley Cub ("Arrow Jr.") on our 1960 Avion T20 - so shorter & much lighter than yours, but I do have the "thread the needle" from our narrow 36' w street, into a narrow 8' w. driveway with only 15-18" each side to solid obstacles & up a shorter 8% grade (+/- 30', then flat 60'), & usually of late with a humongous F250 crew cab/short or long bed truck we rent from Enterprise Commercial - making the total rig about 50'+ L.

I've not had the full L to R lock problem on the Cub, but it will tend to stay offset L to R from whatever the last turning adjustment while threading that needle was, so I'll usually pull forward straight once centered where I want the trailer in that narrow space, in order to unload both the Cub & the tires (friction on pavement stays after turning), but note that the T20 is single axle - vs. your tandem or triple axle, which won't turn as sharp.

I also have a very tight starting turn to back into our driveway like Steve Bryant above says, so the Cub is usually tightly wound up in a minimum radius turn to get into the driveway, so that's the main point after which I need to get the rig & Hensley straightened up to continue backing straight in.

I don't have to pull forward to unload the Hensley/Tires as often as it sounds like you do, but then I don't have a constant downhill pressure on my Cub, as you do - but I make up for it with needing far more small turning adjustments within our very tight space.

I'd suggest trying to get the rig lined up to run the hill straight or curve (you don't say if it turns), then try to hold that line with only minimal corrections to the steering wheel.

It sounds from your later clarification more like you may be overcorrecting (as someone said above) & then hearing the thud.

It may also be the stinger banging L & R with the force of the Hensley moving, but the stinger hanging up initially, then letting loose to move the 1/8"-1/4" of play in the hitch receiver on the TV, which you can also sometimes get when doing tight turns after straight running or an opposite turn.

A tip the Hensley folks gave me early on to resolve that, is to spray the stinger with WD40 so it can move inside the receiver without the binding up & then letting loose - & it also helps keep the rust from forming in between uses!

If you have other Tech questions or want further advice on this, then call Hensley's 800# & talk with Terry Powell or the other tech help folks there, who are really good.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've never had a bump forward or back with our ProPride, same principle. Think of the pivot being over the truck's rear axle, where it is projected to, like fifth wheel.

If you're getting a bump backing, you're backing at too sharp of an angle. I would think this would put a bending stress of the receiver and stinger as well as the components of the hitch.

If you're getting a bump descending hills or applying brakes at a stop sign, there may be two problems. The brake controller may not have enough gain to prevent the trailer from forward towards the truck when brakes are applied.

And I believe it is useful to adjust some downward tilt of the hitch receiver/stinger so the w.d. bars are tilted down towards the back. If the w.d. bars are tilted downward, they will resist the hitch moving off center when braking or descending. When making turns at speed this resistance also helps keep the truck more stable. Andrew Thomson of Can-Am RV explained this well in an article he wrote "Why is my hitch crooked?".

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There are no hassles backing with our PrPride/Hensley. It is completely predictable backing up, it does not swing immediately to one side but articulates with its range.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
There are no hassles backing with our PrPride/Hensley. It is completely predictable backing up, it does not swing immediately to one side but articulates with its range.
I've never found it to be a problem either. I don't notice a difference backing up using our Hensley compared to just a ball mount. It does swing slightly to one side when I start to back up, but it's such a small amount that the movement isn't noticeable from the truck, and it doesn't noticeably affect the direction of the trailer.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 20' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
I don't see the problem. I've been towing trailers for more than 40 years and with a Hensley for the past 17 years. I don't notice and difference backing with my Hensley. I love my Hensley and will never tow my AS with anything else.
AIRTRVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
I have no issues with my Hensley set-up. I have been amazed where I have managed to back my trailer into! Sometimes I can feel the hitch going to one side or the other but that is where it stops. I can and have put it on a dime. I had to back out of a ferry and up a ramp at low tide. No concern at all. And when I drive forward, I am sure that it is with the 'best' hitch that my money can buy. Most other hitches are simply deal closer, last minute 'throw-ins'. The least expensive one that they can get. Have seen this far too many times. All good with my Hensley.
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
I've had a Hensley for years, never had a problem backing excellent product !
sws323tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #18
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Snake spot

Bought my (2nd) Pro Pride for the increased safety factor, and my wife wants to keep it, even if we sell the trailer to go residential for a while. Here was my first parking spot. Love that Pro Pride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161029_150953.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	456.9 KB
ID:	284784  
james.mileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
I actually had my driveway widened to take out the worst of the curves but i still have a slight "S" turn to make. I do stop and pull forward to make adjustments more than I like, I try to take it slowly and make small adjustments as big turns move my truck into the cactus along the sides.
I did discover (via Terry at Hensley) that my struts were loose and were not installed parallel to the frame AND I have a stinger with too much drop. Eager to try the driveway again once I make these corrections!
My truck has the newfangled back up assist tool, I may calibrate that and see how well works. Whether it works or not it should be a fun experiment.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Loose struts will definitely cause what you described.