Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Atwood Coupler Repair kit No Longer Available

With the new hitch issues and recent post about hitches popping off, I thought I would see if I replacement parts for my Atwood coupler on my 2014 Int'l 27FB. I checked the Airstream Supply Store and contacted etrailer (see email below) and they informed me the parts are no longer available and indeed I can't find a replacement kit for the Atwood Coupler.

I don't suspect I have a problem now, but just wondering what others are planning to do, if need be.

https://highskyrvparts.com/New-Airst...-2-5-16-680345

Unfortunately we do not carry the Atwood Coupler Repair kit any longer. Atwood was bought out and that kit was discontinued. I recommend replacing your coupler with the A-Frame Trailer Coupler.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-A~F...r_Coupler.aspx

If you have any questions you can reach me at 1-800-298-8924 ext 79323 or email me at johnh@etrailer.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coupler.png
Views:	523
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	359201  
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
After I read this I did a complete scour of the internet to find any possible combination of getting the kit.......no where to be found.

So Airstream, what exactly do you plan to do about this issue?

I've already replaced mine on my 2019 once so far....and now I can't get a replacement part.......at all? You have got to be kidding me.

I would like a solid answer to this problem. No one saw this coming?

Unbelievable.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
After I read this I did a complete scour of the internet to find any possible combination of getting the kit.......no where to be found.

So Airstream, what exactly do you plan to do about this issue?

I've already replaced mine on my 2019 once so far....and now I can't get a replacement part.......at all? You have got to be kidding me.

I would like a solid answer to this problem. No one saw this coming?

Unbelievable.
Hi kittmaster,

We had no warning about this. Please send us your phone number and we'd be happy to discuss in more detail. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So why does this need repair so often? It should last the life of the trailer.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi kittmaster,

We had no warning about this. Please send us your phone number and we'd be happy to discuss in more detail. Thank you.
Sent you a private message with my number.

Chris
Old 01-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
So why does this need repair so often? It should last the life of the trailer.

Perry
In my case the first issue was the Parkit360.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi kittmaster,

I'm the original poster if you have a solution I would like to know about it.
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsatwork View Post
I'm the original poster if you have a solution I would like to know about it.
I spoke directly with AS yesterday regarding this matter as we have had a lot of interaction since our purchase of the 2019.

The result would be that if your coupler ever needed to be replaced that they would cut off the old A-Frame coupler and weld/replace in the latest version using the Demco coupler.

Since the recalls have solved the issue with separation, anything new going forward would work as expected without a problem.

Not sure I'm 100% on board with the new coupler from Demco, but at this point also, what are the other options? From what I see, not a whole lot.

As one person mentioned, it should last the life of the trailer, and normally I'd agree. My concern about life of the trailer is that you are using it to "lift" the trailer while connected to relieve pressure from the weight distribution arms/chains and over time can that wear out the coupler.......not sure....

On the other hand, my bigger concern is, seriously, what would happen IF the coupler breaks.......how do you transport the unit to a dealer or back to JC for this repair??????

Let's hope it is a bridge that we won't have to cross.

I can't believe the source vendor just up and stopped making these.....there are thousands of trailers out there even non AS that used that configuration.

But that is what I know and was told directly from AS.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Following
Old 02-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
As well.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fredericksburg , Virginia
I'm wondering the same thing as I have a 1978 Argosy and wanted to rebuild the coupler. I'm guessing I might have to just replace the whole coupler, which isn't expensive as far as the part, but I'm wondering how much the labor is to cut the old one off and weld a new one on.

It works now, but the coupler latch doesn't have anything to come down onto so you can use a coupler latch pin. It looks like someone along the line rebuilt it with the wrong latch or something and it wouldn't line up, so they eliminated the latch pin tab, for lack of a better word and tied it down with wire.
JackDuggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Since the recalls have solved the issue with separation, anything new going forward would work as expected without a problem.

Not sure I'm 100% on board with the new coupler from Demco, but at this point also, what are the other options? From what I see, not a whole lot.
The recalls had to due with excessive manufacturing variations in ball clearances, not a good thing and not something a new coupling fork would solve. The Demco is a nice design and is self adjusting for clearance variations. A bit more complex though.

Quote:
As one person mentioned, it should last the life of the trailer, and normally I'd agree. My concern about life of the trailer is that you are using it to "lift" the trailer while connected to relieve pressure from the weight distribution arms/chains and over time can that wear out the coupler.......not sure....
The old design needs lubrication and paradoxically, needs to stay clean. If you can do both of that the fork will not wear out, but you could break it. The forces applied by a modest trailer jack don't even approach the dynamic forces experienced when you hit one of our finer Highway bumps at 65mph, so that is not a problem. A problem that does occur is if the fork is not seated properly due to operator error and then you jack it up. Advice, jar the trailer/ tow vehicle a bit before you add the hitch tensioners.

Quote:
On the other hand, my bigger concern is, seriously, what would happen IF the coupler breaks.......how do you transport the unit to a dealer or back to JC for this repair??????
If you have a WD hitch, it won't separate while at tension. The static and dynamic forces holding it together along with the geometry preclude it. So get your WD hitch on and drive it to the welding shop.

Quote:
I can't believe the source vendor just up and stopped making these.....there are thousands of trailers out there even non AS that used that configuration.
Just a guess, but I suspect they were worried about the liability involved with selling a "repair kit" that does not overcome the known defect.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:54 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Atwood coupler

With the Atwood coupler on our Airstream trailers (possibly thousands of them) and now Airstream is suggesting that if it breaks we will need to R&R the entire coupler with a new model. Could this parts issue flow from a known defect of the coupler itself and therefore resulting in Atwood discontinuing production? Could this be a safety issue, say a recall by Airstream.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
My coupler never had a repair kit, I've checked.

But for those that are in this boat, might be an idea to contact Fulton or Reese tech support and ask if they have a kit for the Atwoods or make them aware of possible niche market for compatible service kit. Have your model number available if you contact them.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Atwood also referred to the 680343 repair kit as part number 88061. I'm sure it equally unavailable, regardless of what it was then called. Mine failed about 4 years ago, and replacements were still available prior to the sale of Atwood. Mine failed suddenly, no prior warning that I noticed. The failure took place as I was attempting to disconnect at a campground. Initially, I was unable to disconnect, nor was I able to fully re-engage the mechanism back on the hitch ball. I'm well aware of the various gymnastics one might have to do disconnect a "stuck" hitch, and none of the traditional measures worked. Finally, I jacked the tongue into a fully "neutral" position vis-a-vis the hitch ball, i.e., no weight on the ball or the coupler, then I looked underneath the coupler, and took a long screw driver (no fingers) to easily move and hold the retention clamp back, while I then, I simply raised the tongue in the normal fashion with no problems. As I raised the coupler, multiple parts fell on the ground, essentially the parts that come with the repair kit (minus the latch that is on top of the coupler). When I inspected the broken parts, I saw that all of the wear took place on a couple of sleeves that held the two horizontal pins in place.

While I'm very diligent about lubricating my ball and the direct contact portions of the coupler with grease, I neglected to shoot oil up from the underside, inside the the coupler mechanism and down from the top on the lift arm to help ensure that those sleeves remain lubricated. Lesson learned.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Question

OK, so fast forward to today.

What can be done to solve this issue? Most of the vendors still show the part on their website but of course all are discontinued/not available blah blah blah.

That doesn't help or solve the impending issue of "What happens if we need to repair it".

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

I had someone private message me and they have the same concerns.....which triggered my thoughts of looking into this again.......and yet again.....with no ability to solve the impending issue at hand.

Anyone have any lead/thoughts/etc?
Old 06-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If the Atwood Marvel style coupler needs repair you have to have a welding shop cut it off and replace the complete coupler. The EZ that airstream switched to are nice.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
If the Atwood Marvel style coupler needs repair you have to have a welding shop cut it off and replace the complete coupler. The EZ that airstream switched to are nice.
I just bought mine new last year, no way am I going to cut off the hitch to go with the EZ.

I'm not convinced....and with just the few that have had issues....I'm good.

Looking for a real solution, not cut and replace. I can't believe someone didn't pick up the tools and die to make these...
Old 06-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I don't see where anyone is making the forks yet. It has been about 3 years since they stopped selling the repair kits, and 18 months since discontinuing the hitch entirely.

It's a simple and reliable design, if you keep the fork lubed and don't abuse it, it will go many long years, so it's unlikely to need repair. Perhaps in a year or two as you say repair kits will show up again.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Perhaps in a year or two as you say repair kits will show up again.
I hope so.....it is.........you know.......like.......only............the most critical component of the entire trailer......

<Convince me otherwise..... )