Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWBC View Post
Been there done that, added to cart, then cart shows empty in other words no stock.
I was just going to type the same thing and when you call it is some Google phone number account and I've left at least 3 messages from the beginning time of this thread and even called recently........no answer, no one home, 0 response......But that image/product linked is exactly what is needed.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
This thread makes me glad I bought a kit a few years ago. It's still in the package hanging in the garage.
Where do you live? ......Exactly?

Old 06-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #43
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Where do you live? ......Exactly?

When I was typing that, I was thinking I might need to move the kit inside to a safe...lol
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
Cutting off the trailer coupler and replacing it, isn't as extreme as you would think. It is a real disappointment that the coupler part's aren't available, but there is probably a reason for it. They make parts for couplers from the 70's, so you would think there's a reason they stopped making this one. I would recommend finding a good fabrication shop, most will have welders that are certified in that material and position for welding, make sure they place weld blankets over the front of the trailer to cover your tanks and front window. The A frame couplers are designed with enough weld area to make the weld load relatively low. This is a pretty standard process for utility type trailers that get more use than an RV. I would expect the rate to be around 2-3 hours to cut off the old coupler, weld on a new one and put some rattle can primer on the coupler, somebody fast and prepared might be able to do it in under an hour while you wait.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:48 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can of beans View Post
Cutting off the trailer coupler and replacing it, isn't as extreme as you would think.
I'm not worried about the technology, I'm worried some guy's welding will lead to the coupler falling off as I drive down the road.
Look at the WD threads and how people find cracked welds. This is from the factory, not the neighborhood shop.
Also is the A-frame intended to be heated that much? There's a reason semi-tractors have parts bolted on, not welded.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The reason some large trucks have bolted on parts instead of welded is due to the high-tensile alloy making up the frame. Airstreams are made of mild steel and are not injured by welding. (In fact, that’s exactly how and why the OEM/Atwood is attached as it is.)

Grinding away the existing weldment and welding a new hitch on is no big deal. Get over it. IMO. The Atwood hitch sucked from the beginning of it’s lousy design and there are plenty of more appropriate and sturdier options available.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
Most of the local welders are going to be better than the factory welders.

they get paid more for their higher skills.Their reputations depend on it. None of the welders we employ are at minimum wage, A lot of them make a very respectable income because of their skill level. Factory welders on the other hand are typically taught the day before to do one weld in a certain way as absolutely fast as possible to reduce costs using cheap equipment. The tricks used to speed up welding are not conducive to quality welding.

Even on my 1972 trailer I can tell that there probably was not drug testing for the welders at Airstream, and their wire speeds and voltages were cranked way too high. it's lasted over 40 years though.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Atwood Coupler Repair kit No Longer Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
The reason some large trucks have bolted on parts instead of welded is due to the high-tensile alloy making up the frame. Airstreams are made of mild steel and are not injured by welding. (In fact, that’s exactly how and why the OEM/Atwood is attached as it is.)

Grinding away the existing weldment and welding a new hitch on is no big deal. Get over it. IMO. The Atwood hitch sucked from the beginning of it’s lousy design and there are plenty of more appropriate and sturdier options available.

SHOW ME HOW, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROCKIES! LOL
You are off topic, we are taking about parts not a welding shop
Old 03-19-2021, 04:28 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I saved a search on ebay about a year ago and eventually found an old stock Atwood repair kit to keep on hand. Another one came up this morning if anyone is looking:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11473227475...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:20 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
I saved a search on ebay about a year ago and eventually found an old stock Atwood repair kit to keep on hand. Another one came up this morning if anyone is looking:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11473227475...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
It was gone as soon as I got there..
Old 06-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Still watching and waiting for a solution...........
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:44 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NOIZE View Post
Still watching and waiting for a solution...........
No solution in sight....been told to cut off the old and install a demco.....not very happy myself.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
No solution in sight....been told to cut off the old and install a demco.....not very happy myself.
I can't believe someone has not came up with an aftermarket kit, there must be thousands of these Couplers out there.
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
On my second newer less used Airstream 30RB

Hoping that my EOL clock has been reset somewhat.
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote