Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Due to Apple being aware that the Airtags could be used for "stalking", it will notify the Airstream thief (if he has an iPhone) that an Airtag is moving with you. A message will pop up on his phone. Now he would have to find the tag which he does not have the ability to do other than physically search for it, but he may decide to drop the trailer and hightail out of there.

Not a perfect solution for securing your trailer, but better than nothing. My Classic 30 has a GPS built right into the antenna but would require the thief to shut off the router to disable it. A good reason to take the key out of the router box and keep it elsewhere. Of course, he still could unscrew the box and cut the 12v power. Maybe the thief would do this, but not likely.

Other than that, keep your insurance up to date!

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Due to Apple being aware that the Airtags could be used for "stalking", it will notify the Airstream thief (if he has an iPhone) that an Airtag is moving with you. A message will pop up on his phone. Now he would have to find the tag which he does not have the ability to do other than physically search for it, but he may decide to drop the trailer and hightail out of there.

Not a perfect solution for securing your trailer, but better than nothing. My Classic 30 has a GPS built right into the antenna but would require the thief to shut off the router to disable it. A good reason to take the key out of the router box and keep it elsewhere. Of course, he still could unscrew the box and cut the 12v power. Maybe the thief would do this, but not likely.

Other than that, keep your insurance up to date!
The message you describe may not pop up on the thief's phone unless/until he brings the Airtag to the location he has saved as "Home" in his iPhone contacts. I've seen some articles describing it as eventually alerting you that the Airtag is "traveling with you" but others that explicitly say it alerts you if you and a foreign airtag arrive at your home address.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The message you describe may not pop up on the thief's phone unless/until he brings the Airtag to the location he has saved as "Home" in his iPhone contacts. I've seen some articles describing it as eventually alerting you that the Airtag is "traveling with you" but others that explicitly say it alerts you if you and a foreign airtag arrive at your home address.
This is from the Apple site. It gets worst!

AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone elseís AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice itís traveling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still havenít found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know itís there.

Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with a whole bunch of people with AirTag, donít worry. These alerts are triggered only when an AirTag is separated from its owner.

Hmmm, it starts playing a sound!

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Not that I'd expect anyone to want to track 'me', but...

I'd be tempted to mark some other public location as 'home' instead of my actual home then... and make a habit of going by there on the way home (ie, the mall that's a mile from my house.) Then it'd alert me that it's there *before* I actually got to my *actual* home.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Waste of money. Just a typical, overpriced Apple thing. Limited range. If you are worried about theft, I would suggest a motion detecting alarm. Loud noise in a campground will get lots of attention.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabe View Post
. . .
. . . Limited range.
. . .
"World-wide" is limited range?

According to the fine fine print, it will work all over the world, if there is an "iThing" nearby, right?

Great term, David!

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #27

Currently Looking...
Springfield , VA
Theft risk

Does not look like the AirTag is an appropriate tool for this application.
But a similar line of thought. Are there published data on AS theft rates? What is the risk of loss both in storage and at a camping site? Once stolen, what are the odds of seeing it again? Are stolen AS parted out, renovated for resale, or just resold as is?
What is the scope of the problem we are trying to fix?
PaulinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
"Apple AirTag as Tracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVA View Post
Does not look like the AirTag is an appropriate tool for this application.
. . .
Why is the Apple AirTag not an appropriate tool for tracking a stolen trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumfever View Post
. . .
. . . I follow the threads about anti or slow down theft devices regularly as I want to make sure I am up to date on any new ideas. I have just received the new Apple Airtag and am looking forward to seeing how this works as a tracker. Is anyone else using an Apple Airtag? Let’s share information.
. . .
Thanks,

Old 05-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #29

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Why is the Apple AirTag not an appropriate tool for tracking a stolen trailer?
To me the biggest gotcha would seem to be the fact that it starts beeping after X time out of contact with your phone. If that's something that can be disabled, it's a "better than nothing" solution for an iPhone person, since it seems to only require the initial purchase and a new battery every year or so. It's not going to be the sort of thing that gets you an insurance discount, but it doesn't have a monthly fee like a more standalone tracker generally does.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks David.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #31
2019 - 33' Classic

2019 33' Classic
Grand Junction , Colorado
Following - thank you!
RickyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:41 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
"World-wide" is limited range?

According to the fine fine print, it will work all over the world, if there is an "iThing" nearby, right?

Great term, David!
If it's bluetooth, then 30 to 50 ft. If cellular and it's in an area without cell service, then 0 ft. Plus it only works with IOS and from what I've read it reads as not-owned if another IOS picks it up. Plus a cheap cell phone blocker would render it useless.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:50 PM   #33

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
If it's bluetooth, then 30 to 50 ft. If cellular and it's in an area without cell service, then 0 ft. Plus it only works with IOS and from what I've read it reads as not-owned if another IOS picks it up. Plus a cheap cell phone blocker would render it useless.
Read more on how it works. You're semi-correct that it needs to have an iOS device in bluetooth range (temporarily) to report its location, but a non-owner iThing will still report the location of an Airtag that has been marked as lost. The cell blocker thing may work for a bit, though I suspect the iThing that detected the Airtag will eventually report the ping back to the Mothership the next time it has network connectivity.

It's not a cellular-data gps tracker by any means, but it's not nothing.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:58 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Tile

I use tile brand, tracker. It is bluetooth so when you are more than 30 feet away it is useless for you the owner to look for your trailer.

Once the trailer is lost you will report it lost and the will start looking around the world. It does this by noticing when your tile passes other Tile users.

I have found them to be reliable and accurate with keys etc. Once I'm out of range the tile remembers the last place it recorded the position.

It only notifies you about the location. It would not notify the thief that they were being tracked.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:34 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Quote:
Read more on how it works. You're semi-correct that it needs to have an iOS device in bluetooth range (temporarily) to report its location, but a non-owner iThing will still report the location of an Airtag that has been marked as lost. The cell blocker thing may work for a bit, though I suspect the iThing that detected the Airtag will eventually report the ping back to the Mothership the next time it has network connectivity.

It's not a cellular-data gps tracker by any means, but it's not nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumfever View Post
. . .
Here is a link that describes what it is:

https://www.apple.com/airtag/?afid=p...lid---product-
. . .
All the details are at the link in the OP above, including the fine print about "Lost Mode" etc.

An "open mind" helps too . . .