Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #81
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Let's hope y'all take the same approach to those currently defacing and destroying our national monuments and historical sites.....

Brian,
We approach this from different perspectives.

He truly defaced a National Monument, made by Mother Nature for ALL of us.
NOT by Politicians for their opposing Tribes.

May the Force be with you.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

OT

Good tune, Bob!

"Life is much too short for some folks
For other folks it just drags on
Some folks like the taste of smokey whiskey
Others figure tea is too strong"

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Color me surprised. Some people find a rock that will eventually yield to the weather and be gone precious. Others find an lasting ideal precious, it's unfortunate some can't or won't honor both.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Color me surprised. Some people find a rock that will eventually yield to the weather and be gone precious. Others find an lasting ideal precious, it's unfortunate some can't or won't honor both.

Call me a Patriot, but I hold the Constitution more dear than almost everything else (God and family first). By extension, I hold the founding fathers and other transformational US leaders in high regard for what they created, an ideal that will always be aspirational and always worth pursuing. I want to travel and see the wonders of nature and the monuments to the United States, and not have people choose for me that they are not worth standing anymore.

Staying on topic, I want to do so while reducing sway potential...
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Indeed, and so while some apply double standards to endlessly punish not just the guilty who accepted responsibility but all his associates and employees, while others who commit the same crime with far more sinister motives are allowed to deceptively hide behind a noble cause unimpeded. With that in mind I'll return to the technical merits of the product and repeat that this hitch overcomes many problems associated with WD hitches on light trailers and should be considered a top choice for 23' and under as long and the deficiency of the Attwood/Marvel hitch is addressed.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Indeed, and so while some apply double standards to endlessly punish not just the guilty who accepted responsibility but all his associates and employees, while others who commit the same crime with far more sinister motives are allowed to deceptively hide behind a noble cause unimpeded. With that in mind I'll return to the technical merits of the product and repeat that this hitch overcomes many problems associated with WD hitches on light trailers and should be considered a top choice for 23' and under as long and the deficiency of the Attwood/Marvel hitch is addressed.

Order placed yesterday afternoon. Looking forward to many more trips to enjoy this amazing country.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
Order placed yesterday afternoon. Looking forward to many more trips to enjoy this amazing country.
When you get it, there's a trick so you don't have to reset the tension every time
Dasponto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:45 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
I have a Anderson hitch that I am no longer using, its junk. The Anderson is noisy, it causes excessive ware on the rear of the coupler and needs to be adjusted every time you use it. I used it on two cross country trips and was not impressed. When I upgraded the TT I went to a REESE DUEL CAM, it’s much better.

I am kind of supersized at your comments. Having used WD hitches for close to 50 years and well over 300,000 miles I think I have some capacity to base my comments on.

I would be interested in what you feel is a source of noise from the Andersen. The only part that sees any movement is the tapered ball shaft in the plastic sleeve. Metal on plastic is not known for noise. As for a need to frequently adjust an Andersen that can only be because one has not learned how to use the hitch. Once the chains are adjusted there is no need to ever touch them again. Placing and locking the coupler on the ball. Then using the jack to raise the combination enough to put the triangular plate on eliminates any need for adjustments.

As for the need to be concerned about the coupler that is not a shortcoming of the hitch but rather a limitation of the coupler. Yes the introduction of some new design require alterations to existing system. Not too many missed the clutch pedal when automatic transmission were introduced.

If you have followed my original tread on the Andersen you will know that when I first saw the hitch I lost a whole nights sleep trying to figure out how it could work. That completed I bought one the next day. And yes after a year of so I did replace the coupler with a Quick Bite. Unfortunately Cequent bought Quick Byte to put them out of business. Had Andersen got there first they couls have put the rest of the WD hitch makers out of business by now.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #89
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Had Andersen got there first they couls have put the rest of the WD hitch makers out of business by now.
Howie.
How long have you been having that dream?😂
“If you’re happy with what you’re using…it’s adequate.
If other people are un-happy….it’s not”
RLC
TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
With that in mind I'll return to the technical merits of the product and repeat that this hitch overcomes many problems associated with WD hitches on light trailers and should be considered a top choice for 23' and under as long and the deficiency of the Attwood/Marvel hitch is addressed.
Hi Brian, I was wondering if the deficiency of the Attwood/Marvel coupler has been apparent when using other WDH systems.

I know that we have an Attwood coupler on our trailer (not too sure of the model number) and when I had a look at Andersen's website and noticed the warning about certain couplers.

I have not seen this warning on other WDH systems. Is this a missed warning by the other manufacturers? I guess there is a potential failure in the mechanism regardless of who makes it.

If a user was to have a failure of this mechanism when using a Propride or BlueOX would there be a backup to keep the trailer and hitch connected. What I am asking is: With the nature of the BlueOX WDH and forces applied to the coupler are different and in the case that the coupler teeth failed, would the WD keep the combo together? I would think that the mechanism would force the ball upwards and the coupler down to keep the rig together.

In the case of the Andersen design, you are pulling forward on the coupler which is where the failure appears to present itself.

So is this a failure of the coupler or design flaw from Attwood? Or something brought on by the nature of the forces applied to when using the Andersen WD system?

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Howie.
How long have you been having that dream?��
����

Quite a while now.

I am not questioning if someone likes or dislike a given hitch. I am question when those dissensions are based on miss understand or unlikely information.

As for companies that are purchased others with the sole intent of putting them out of business that is an historical reality. A few cases Duke tobacco, RCA, Exxon, and J P Morgan all used the tactic to success. Another RV product that suffered the same fate is the Jordan brake controller.

Andersen has some competition as far as performance is concerned from Hensley and Pro Pride is concerned. But when one considers the cost to performance ratio and the difficulty of hitching up there is no competition.

It is kind of like looking at a NASA rocket and a Space X rocket. They both work. One has a single use for $400,000,000 and the other can be used 10 times for $40,000,000. The cost difference in hitches is about 5 time and the average set up time has about the same ratio.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #92
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Difficulty in hitching?
How long did you have your PPP?

Bob
👍
Old 07-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I learned not to have one after watching others spend as much as an hour attempting to hook up. I have helped a friend with a Hensley uncouple using the campground sledge hammer. ANY difference in the roll alignment between the tow vehicle and trailer and all bets are off both in coupling and uncoupling.

Generally it takes less than 5 minutes to hitch an Andersen. Most of that time is a function of the speed of your jack.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #94
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
^

Well, I guess I should consider myself lucky.
I learned quickly the differences in procedures and have had no problems hitching up in 15 Seasons, and I'm definitely not the sharpest pencil in the box.😂
It really wasn't that hard outsmarting an inanimate object.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I don’t really have a dog in this fight but I will say I watched a guy at Alatoona Lake in Georgia try for over an hour to get his Hensley hooked up. I actually thought he was going to have a stroke — he just got madder and madder and the language saltier and saltier.

Finally had a tow truck come out and pull the trailer out of the site onto a flat section of the road, then it went quickly.

I think if I went PPP, I might go with the other guys...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Anderson Weight Distribution Anti-Sway Hitch

Yeah, with the independent WD jacks you can fine tilt the ProPride head any which way and line stuff up easily including a gentle kick to the hitch head for exact left/right alignment.

I’ve never had an issue hooking up. My main problem is seeing the head opening on my rear-view camera in bright sun and deep shadows, and that’s Toyota’s fault...

The worst alignment I had was 45 degrees across the driveway nose down, and truck approached 90 degrees to the Airstream A-Frame. Took two tries to line up truck and head exactly. And that was the old TV, with no backup camera.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
The trick, not really a trick is to tilt the Hensley head to accommodate the angle of the stinger. When the stinger is inches from the Hensley head a final visual is what’s in order and a spray of WD-40
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Anderson Weight Distribution Anti-Sway Hitch

And there are the times you just line up as close as you can, get the stinger started in, and push the throttle a bit harder in reverse and fully seat the stinger when you get close enough. Of course the Airstream is still well chocked before you try this option, cause it’s gonna skid it a little.

Sometimes you just have to go slightly neanderthal on it. That’s why they make bigger hammers and do “percussive tuning” on some stuff.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:51 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
. . .
. . . It really wasn't that hard outsmarting an inanimate object.
. . .
Best post ever . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:28 AM   #100
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yeah, with the independent WD jacks you can fine tilt the ProPride head any which way and line stuff up easily including a gentle kick to the hitch head for exact left/right alignment.

I’ve never had an issue hooking up. My main problem is seeing the head opening on my rear-view camera in bright sun and deep shadows, and that’s Toyota’s fault...

The worst alignment I had was 45 degrees across the driveway nose down, and truck approached 90 degrees to the Airstream A-Frame. Took two tries to line up truck and head exactly. And that was the old TV, with no backup camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
The trick, not really a trick is to tilt the Hensley head to accommodate the angle of the stinger. When the stinger is inches from the Hensley head a final visual is what’s in order and a spray of WD-40
See...finding the correct angle of the dangle is the key.

If I can get my dangle aligned...anyone can.

Bob
🇺🇸

BTW...greasing the bars isn't really a pain, I use a small grease gun and pump a few times until grease exits. Just enough to displace any moisture. 15 Seasons...I remove and clean & grease every Spring, done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5EE8CE1D-0942-470D-A88C-445C5E493580_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	374210