Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
What Robert Cross aid.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
tried, but not for me

Our first hitch was an Anderson - i really like the concepts embodied in the design. For us, with the heavy-hitched 27FB and short-bed blinged-out half ton, i struggled to find a technically correct and comfortable set up. Using the scales at the local landfill (no CAT scales around here) I found that putting the right weight back on the front TV axle deformed the compression (poly-something) cylinders to the point there was no shock effect left and they were oozing around the fender washers. Less than that and it seemed to wander, even with the truck anti-sway turned off as suggested.

Took a few times to set up the rake of the trailer to level or slghtly nose down. First tow was slightly nose up and that was no fun. Seller agreed to a refund and i ordered another solution. I wish it had worked for me, though. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
Our first hitch was an Anderson - i really like the concepts embodied in the design. For us, with the heavy-hitched 27FB and short-bed blinged-out half ton, i struggled to find a technically correct and comfortable set up. Using the scales at the local landfill (no CAT scales around here) I found that putting the right weight back on the front TV axle deformed the compression (poly-something) cylinders to the point there was no shock effect left and they were oozing around the fender washers. Less than that and it seemed to wander, even with the truck anti-sway turned off as suggested.

Took a few times to set up the rake of the trailer to level or slightly nose down. First tow was slightly nose up and that was no fun. Seller agreed to a refund and i ordered another solution. I wish it had worked for me, though. Good luck!

If you were nose high you were also heavy on tongue weight. That was some of the need for excessive load on the bushings. While the ideal is to return the front axle to it's original height to retain the steering geometry it is not an absolute requirement. Having the trailer ride as close to parallel to the ground once the set up is complete is the more important consideration.

It is ashamed you gave up and went to a less system.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
Well got our Andersen hitch installed. Measurements and results below.

Q5 unloaded 32.5" fender to ground front and rear.

Q5 standaed hitch 33" front and 31" back.

Q5 Andersen 32.5" front and 32" rear.

Needless to say that's a solid improvement. Took it for a test drive on the freeway and it was night and day better on the road as well. Very happy with the system based on initial measurements and road test.

Pictures of before and after. Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoGrid_1587343848093.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	366200
Dasponto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Reviving this thread to get an update on coupler wear.

From everything I’ve been able to find, the risk to wear on the coupler mechanism is primarily from the tightening of the chains and the force placed on the rear of the coupler where the latch is.

If weight distribution is not the primary goal for me, and I am mostly looking for the anti-sway, and maybe 100# distribution forward, is the risk to the coupler still significant? The folks at Andersen are not answering the phones to get their take on this question.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Well the wear risk is actually the tendency of the rearward force to drive the fork upward and wear or shear the locking tab on the shark fin. The solution to that is to drill out the release lever lock hole to exactly match a pre-selected lock or pin so it is a uniform size. From Atwood, the inner hole size on the shark fin is generally smaller than the outer holes on the lever to make it easier to fit the locking pin through as the lever is soft metal and tends to twist and contort a bit. the lever is soft and malleable so one can bend it a bit with use to fit the rather loose tolerances of the coupler. A tight fitting lock pin will prevent the coupling fork from sliding back and forth and stressing the tab on the shark fin.

The second issue is that for many couplers the manufacturing tolerance is such that even latched in, the ball fit is loose. For Andersen, this is a problem as sway control is predicated on the tension causing the ball to not move in the coupler. They are effectively fused together. Thus you want to remove all grease from the ball and socket. If it is loose you can shim the fork ramp to firm it up, but this is a hassle. In the end you will know you are successful if the tension chain tabs always remain in proper alignment, that is the ball does not rotate with respect to the coupler.

So given all this, you can carefully determine if you ball fits very tightly with no slop. If so you can fix the pin hole with a nice sized pin or shim a smaller pin to the correct size. Then you can clean all the grease and perhaps even rough up your ball just a bit to further increase friction. Then you will be good to go.

I would not expect Andersen to answer your questions as they were unable to resolve this and recommend against using their product with this particular coupler.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Well the wear risk is actually the tendency of the rearward force to drive the fork upward and wear or shear the locking tab on the shark fin. The solution to that is to drill out the release lever lock hole to exactly match a pre-selected lock or pin so it is a uniform size. From Atwood, the inner hole size on the shark fin is generally smaller than the outer holes on the lever to make it easier to fit the locking pin through as the lever is soft metal and tends to twist and contort a bit. the lever is soft and malleable so one can bend it a bit with use to fit the rather loose tolerances of the coupler. A tight fitting lock pin will prevent the coupling fork from sliding back and forth and stressing the tab on the shark fin.

The second issue is that for many couplers the manufacturing tolerance is such that even latched in, the ball fit is loose. For Andersen, this is a problem as sway control is predicated on the tension causing the ball to not move in the coupler. They are effectively fused together. Thus you want to remove all grease from the ball and socket. If it is loose you can shim the fork ramp to firm it up, but this is a hassle. In the end you will know you are successful if the tension chain tabs always remain in proper alignment, that is the ball does not rotate with respect to the coupler.

So given all this, you can carefully determine if you ball fits very tightly with no slop. If so you can fix the pin hole with a nice sized pin or shim a smaller pin to the correct size. Then you can clean all the grease and perhaps even rough up your ball just a bit to further increase friction. Then you will be good to go.

I would not expect Andersen to answer your questions as they were unable to resolve this and recommend against using their product with this particular coupler.

Very helpful. I was not seeing that the issue was in the latch, but thought it was in the piece that sits under the ball inside the coupler. So as I understand what you are saying, IF the locking pin at the top latch is tight enough to limit movement of the latch front to back, THEN most of the concern is mitigated.

Correct?

As for the ball not rotating in the coupler, I can think of ways to help with that.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yes, you said it much more succinctly than I. I believe we are aligned.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
Anderson hitch is hunk

I have a Anderson hitch that I am no longer using, its junk. The Anderson is noisy, it causes excessive ware on the rear of the coupler and needs to be adjusted every time you use it. I used it on two cross country trips and was not impressed. When I upgraded the TT I went to a REESE DUEL CAM, it’s much better.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #70

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I agree anderson products are junk! Equalizer is far better bang for d buck
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
I have a Anderson hitch that I am no longer using, its junk. The Anderson is noisy, it causes excessive ware on the rear of the coupler and needs to be adjusted every time you use it. I used it on two cross country trips and was not impressed. When I upgraded the TT I went to a REESE DUEL CAM, it’s much better.
Yeah, what you describe are the symptoms of the two mentioned problems. Clearly the ball was slipping and the fork was shifting. I suppose you could blame Andersen. I would suggest the problem was the Atwood hitch. Dometic was not impressed after they bought Atwood, they discontinued it and refuse to sell repair parts.....
Old 07-09-2020, 05:56 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
Reviving this thread to get an update on coupler wear.

From everything I’ve been able to find, the risk to wear on the coupler mechanism is primarily from the tightening of the chains and the force placed on the rear of the coupler where the latch is.

If weight distribution is not the primary goal for me, and I am mostly looking for the anti-sway, and maybe 100# distribution forward, is the risk to the coupler still significant? The folks at Andersen are not answering the phones to get their take on this question.
Sorry that Andersen has not helped you out. FYI their news page was last updated in 2017:

https://andersenhitches.com/blog

Wonder if business is off because of Ryan Andersen's conviction for graffiti in 2018? The 18-month abeyance period for his guilty plea expired recently:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ut/pr/a...estitution-blm

. . . and there is no further news online IMO.

See also this [closed] thread :

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f22...np-179854.html

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:53 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Sorry that Andersen has not helped you out. FYI their news page was last updated in 2017:

https://andersenhitches.com/blog

Wonder if business is off because of Ryan Andersen's conviction for graffiti in 2018? The 18-month abeyance period for his guilty plea expired recently:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ut/pr/a...estitution-blm

. . . and there is no further news online IMO.

See also this [closed] thread :

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f22...np-179854.html

FYI
FWIW

I believe he has paid the penalty through the Justice system and don’t hold that against him anymore. Others can make a choice to permanently vilify someone for wrongdoing, but that isn’t me.

It is a great design for what I’m looking for, and I’m happy to support the company.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
We've been using our Andersen for about 5k miles now and it's been fantastic. Had to pull the ball out once to clean the sleeve after getting caught in a big dust storm that caused some crazy squeaking.

As for always readjusting, not necessary at all. Can jack the back end up, which releases tension and then you just drop the triangle.

Considering I'd have to cut my tank covers to fit a traditional wdh, and that we can also back up with the Andersen, it's been a great decision and has made a huge improvement on towing. Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9660.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	372353
Old 07-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #75
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I will concede...it's a great hitch for trailers the don't need WD.😂

And just because he has paid the 'penalty' to the system does not excuse the vandalism or the bad example he set for others. TETO

Just not the way WE roll.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #76

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I will concede...it's a great hitch for trailers the don't need WD.[emoji23]

And just because he has paid the 'penalty' to the system does not excuse the vandalism or the bad example he set for others. TETO

Bob

[emoji631]

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
There has been endless conversation about the owner and his Arches misdeeds. As to the technical capability of the system, it will generate a fair amount of tension and will redistribute weight. It is not as stiff as traditional designs so the results will become disappointing for 30' and more. For light trailers this is a very good choice (technically) because they don't create much twisting moment on uneven terrain. the downside is that it relies on friction material and neoprene springs which wear out over time.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
I believe he has paid the penalty through the Justice system and don’t hold that against him anymore.
. . .
True enough, if, and only if, he has completed the terms of his probation, and the judge has released him from those terms, which included:

"Friday, August 24, 2018
. . .
Andersen’s guilty plea will be held in abeyance for a period of 18 months. During that period, the defendant is prohibited from entering or using any public land administered by the BLM, the National Park Service, the U.S. Forest Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bureau of Reclamation, and the Army Corps of Engineers. The defendant can use public roads traversing public lands for necessary travel."
Same link as in Post #72: https://www.justice.gov/usao-ut/pr/a...estitution-blm

His 18 months would have expired around the end of February 2020, which means that this criminal case is very much a "current event," until someone can provide documentation that the judge has released him, and entered a final guilty plea IMO.

Given the OP's lack of response from Andersen, as quoted earlier, and the company's lack of updates after 2017 on its News page, one wonders if Ryan's probation is indeed over IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Let's hope y'all take the same approach to those currently defacing and destroying our national monuments and historical sites.....
Old 07-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
EDMONTON , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I will concede...it's a great hitch for trailers the don't need WD.[emoji23]

Bob

[emoji631]
Oh we needed it on the Q5, the rear sag and amount of bounce before was terrible.

As for the rest of the owners shenanigans, I just stay out of that... But do agree with you about being a bad example.

I'll just stay over here in Canada... Not that we don't have our own issues too!