Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
Anderson WD Hitch Issues

With reference to the Feb 2019 Article in the Blue Beret: the article serves as an alert to the incompatibility of the Anderson hitch with the Attwood 88000 series couplers used on Airstream trailers. I addressed the issue by drilling and pinning the coupler to remove any coupler movement with inspect and replace the coupler latch as/if needed. Since the replacement parts are not currently available I may need a long term solution. I am asking how other Airstream owners using the Anderson Hitch are addressing this issue. (Please do not post your rant with Anderson on the defacement charges.)
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Anderson WD Hitch Issues

I think if you search for threads on Andersen hitches (note the “en” not “on” spelling) you will find some users who came up with solutions including welding a different coupler on the a-frame.

A rant-free good luck to you [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Red Oak , Texas
I'm changing mine to a bulldog coupler
thomasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Bulldog coupler and Andersen hitch; that is what Oliver uses.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Red Oak , Texas
I've never had a bulldog fail. I grew up in Davenport. Do miss Harris pizza
thomasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay0 View Post
With reference to the Feb 2019 Article in the Blue Beret: the article serves as an alert to the incompatibility of the Anderson hitch with the Attwood 88000 series couplers used on Airstream trailers. I addressed the issue by drilling and pinning the coupler to remove any coupler movement with inspect and replace the coupler latch as/if needed. Since the replacement parts are not currently available I may need a long term solution. I am asking how other Airstream owners using the Anderson Hitch are addressing this issue. (Please do not post your rant with Anderson on the defacement charges.)
The Anderson Hitch has little to no WD attributes and zero sway control.
I did the entire factory recommended coupler replacement tack welding yadi, yada only to remove the entire garbage after a most harrowing white knuckle ride out west on I- 80 one day with heavy truck traffic and side winds.
The hitch has zero counter force to prevent sway .
Rolling down hill you better have your fingers on the trailer brakes.
Anyone interested can have it free. Its been collecting dust since 2015.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Sounds like a rant?

Let's just say it's the wrong WD hitch for your application, which needs more WD and sway control than the Anderson is capable of.

In the right application, I've had great success using an Anderson. Light weight, and easy.

I agree with others that a new a-frame coupler might be the right solution. They're fairly cheap. Just need a skilled welder to install which is easy for someone in that trade. May even want to get a longer one if you have a truck and get interference with the tailgate to tongue jack, and are using a drop hitch with longer projection than optimal.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Sounds like a rant?

Let's just say it's the wrong WD hitch for your application, which needs more WD and sway control than the Anderson is capable of.

In the right application, I've had great success using an Anderson. Light weight, and easy.

I agree with others that a new a-frame coupler might be the right solution. They're fairly cheap. Just need a skilled welder to install which is easy for someone in that trade. May even want to get a longer one if you have a truck and get interference with the tailgate to tongue jack, and are using a drop hitch with longer projection than optimal.
I did all that, only to end up having to torch it off ordering an original coupler and welding that back on. Not only that, I had to experiment myself to get it to work to have some WD out of it. The factory was totally clueless.
My application was on a 30' Air Stream International.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I did all that, only to end up having to torch it off ordering an original coupler and welding that back on. Not only that, I had to experiment myself to get it to work to have some WD out of it. The factory was totally clueless.
My application was on a 30' Air Stream International.
My only experience with this hitch is my personal applied tech knowledge (my profession), reading here, and installing and testing on my bro-in-laws 16' retro trailer. I am convinced that this hitch design works well up to maybe 5000 pounds. Above that and I believe it just won't work adequately, by its design.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
In consideration of the damage Andersen and family did to a national park, I would get rid a hitch I owned built by him. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...179854-11.html
Old 06-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Summerfield , Florida
I use the Andersen Hitch with my 2019 Flying Cloud 26RB. Tow it with a 2018 Ford F-150 XLT. Though draw chain tension and correct ball height, I have the trailer and truck rails within one bubble. Turn the anti-sway off on the truck..as per Andersen. 7000K miles so far. Very pleased with comfortable ride and hitch sway control. No regrets.
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post
I use the Andersen Hitch with my 2019 Flying Cloud 26RB. Tow it with a 2018 Ford F-150 XLT. Though draw chain tension and correct ball height, I have the trailer and truck rails within one bubble. Turn the anti-sway off on the truck..as per Andersen. 7000K miles so far. Very pleased with comfortable ride and hitch sway control. No regrets.
I took note of your comment that Andersen says to turn off your truck's ESC so I looked it up. Here's what it says:

Using the WD Hitch with late model
vehicles that have electronic anti-sway
The Andersen WD Hitch features its own sway control system that is designed to auto-adjust to the load in
your trailer and prevent trailer sway when installed properly. Unfortunately, some newer electronic anti-sway
systems can misread the anti-sway efforts of the Andersen WD Hitch and the anti-sway system may actually
cause the trailer to sway as the two systems work against each other.
These potential issues typically occur with electronic anti-sway systems that are designed to detect trailer
sway and automatically use the vehicle brakes to help control the sway. Please note that this type of anti-sway
system is different from electronic traction control, which does not cause this type of problem. If you experience
this type of issue, you will need to turn off the electronic anti-sway in your vehicle in order to tow with the
Andersen WD Hitch.
This issue is most likely to occur in 2011 and newer truck models from Ford, GMC, Dodge, and Chevy. Refer
to your tow vehicle’s owners manual to determine if you have built-in electronic anti-sway and how to disable it
while using the Andersen WD Hitch to tow.

I would not turn off the ESC. I would ask for my money back on the hitch.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
. . .
Unfortunately, some newer electronic anti-sway systems can misread the anti-sway efforts of the Andersen WD Hitch and the anti-sway system may actually cause the trailer to sway as the two systems work against each other.
. . .
FWIW this is why we got the new Reese WD hitch, without sway control, for our 2017 Ford Transit 350 TV with ESC.

Many new Airstream owners, with newer tow vehicles, may not be aware of this potential conflict between the two systems IMO.

Peter

FYI/FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Summerfield , Florida
Thanks. Like I said, 7K miles on last trip. Strong gusty cross winds with ESC off. Bumpy roads etc. I'll keep the hitch and turn the ESC off. It's hard to describe the comfortable ride and Anti-sway features of the hitch if you have not driven your rig with an Andersen. I have towed trailers with spring bars. OUCH! What a shake-up.
Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Bulldog coupler and Andersen hitch; that is what Oliver uses.
Many Oliver owners use the Andersen because it is the only WDH that fits. It is sold and installed by Oliver. It works as advertised, distributes load and prevents sway and is easy to use. I’ve had mine 3+ years and am happy with it. Mike
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FWIW this is why we got the new Reese WD hitch, without sway control, for our 2017 Ford Transit 350 TV with ESC.

Many new Airstream owners, with newer tow vehicles, may not be aware of this potential conflict between the two systems IMO.

Peter

FYI/FWIW
It's not just the Anderson hitch. Blue Ox also says to turn off the ESC. To me that's like unbuckling your seat belt. The ESC is there to save you in the event of a violent sway situation such as after an accident. No sway control hitch can do what the ESC can do, which is apply the left/right brakes selectively to stabilize the vehicle.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
I took note of your comment that Andersen says to turn off your truck's ESC so I looked it up. Here's what it says:

Using the WD Hitch with late model
vehicles that have electronic anti-sway
The Andersen WD Hitch features its own sway control system that is designed to auto-adjust to the load in
your trailer and prevent trailer sway when installed properly. Unfortunately, some newer electronic anti-sway
systems can misread the anti-sway efforts of the Andersen WD Hitch and the anti-sway system may actually
cause the trailer to sway as the two systems work against each other.
These potential issues typically occur with electronic anti-sway systems that are designed to detect trailer
sway and automatically use the vehicle brakes to help control the sway. Please note that this type of anti-sway
system is different from electronic traction control, which does not cause this type of problem. If you experience
this type of issue, you will need to turn off the electronic anti-sway in your vehicle in order to tow with the
Andersen WD Hitch.
This issue is most likely to occur in 2011 and newer truck models from Ford, GMC, Dodge, and Chevy. Refer
to your tow vehicle’s owners manual to determine if you have built-in electronic anti-sway and how to disable it
while using the Andersen WD Hitch to tow.

I would not turn off the ESC. I would ask for my money back on the hitch.
So would I. The Anderson has zero sway control qualities and not much in the way of WD.
I struggled with one for a whole year before taking it off. The factory was zero help. I was told it wasn't the best application for an Air stream.
As I posted before anyone interested in a useless hitch can have it free.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Peter, you say that "NO hitch can do what the ESC can do" does that include the 3p and haha?
mike
P.S. I had an Andersen and loved it until I overloaded the front of the trailer and rear of my 1500 Ram. I could no longer achieve weight distribution and anti sway. My wife would say, but there is room and I would say but it is the weight. Have you ever won an argument with your wife? " I got a headache"
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
It's not just the Anderson hitch. Blue Ox also says to turn off the ESC. To me that's like unbuckling your seat belt. The ESC is there to save you in the event of a violent sway situation such as after an accident. No sway control hitch can do what the ESC can do, which is apply the left/right brakes selectively to stabilize the vehicle.

For all who is interested,
I pull a 2017 30' Classic with a 2017 F-250 Diesel using a Blue OX hitch .
I never turn of the ESC .
My setup was tested the hard way in a sudden crash avoidance while changing lanes at 70 MPH. Both the Truck and the BO performed perfectly. The trailer was like a rag doll behind the truck being kept in a straight line by both the truck and the hitch.
In the four years of using the Blue OX I never had any sway or WD issues issues whatsoever.