Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Andersen out - now Propride or Hensley

scoured the threads about how the coupling latch might need to be modified for a anderson to work properly - so now it's probably the hensley cub but I looked at the propride hitch threads and they look quite similar

what are the differences between the two
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Many threads on this. The basic product differences are:

1) Propride hitch bar is a little more tapered and less likely to stick
2) Propride yoke mechanism is less prone to damage than Hensley strut rods if you turn too tight (it slips instead of breaking)
3) Hensley WD bar retainers are more prone to failure and are a custom item available only from Hensley
4) Paint on Hensley tends to fade and requires regular repainting to look good
5) Propride hitch bar is adjustable while Hensley is fixed
6) Propride WD jacks use a standard 3/4" hex drive just like the stabilizers

I haven't seen any recent reports but as far as I know the warranty service is still better with ProPride. Hensley is still making people ship back broken parts when things fail and due to the weight it's expensive to do, and Hensley is making a big deal out of checking serial numbers and asking who you are since they consider the "lifetime warranty" to be non-transferable.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Here's a lot of info, including comparisons and references:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Jammer pretty much covered it. The ProPride is just a better, improved version of the pivot point projection hitch with better customer service. What's to consider?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
so for my AS 19 I would order it with the 600 lb bars
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Many threads on this. The basic product differences are:

1) Propride hitch bar is a little more tapered and less likely to stick
2) Propride yoke mechanism is less prone to damage than Hensley strut rods if you turn too tight (it slips instead of breaking)
3) Hensley WD bar retainers are more prone to failure and are a custom item available only from Hensley
4) Paint on Hensley tends to fade and requires regular repainting to look good
5) Propride hitch bar is adjustable while Hensley is fixed
6) Propride WD jacks use a standard 3/4" hex drive just like the stabilizers

I haven't seen any recent reports but as far as I know the warranty service is still better with ProPride. Hensley is still making people ship back broken parts when things fail and due to the weight it's expensive to do, and Hensley is making a big deal out of checking serial numbers and asking who you are since they consider the "lifetime warranty" to be non-transferable.
Agree with everything....but the HAHA also uses the standard 3/4" hex drive....so equal there.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
so for my AS 19 I would order it with the 600 lb bars
That would be my choice

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Ask Sean at ProPride he will make a safe recommendation on bar size when you place your order.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
The beauty of the ProPride is that the weight distribution is adjustable.
On our 16' Sean suggested 1000 lb bars and I believe it was the correct choice.
I do not have cranked up very far so it is less than 1000lbs in reality.
The way the truck/trailer rides with these bars is considerably smoother than it was with the 600lb bars I had with the Equalizer. Shockingly smoother! We have done another video from inside the trailer and the difference is noteable. I will post a link at a later time so you can see.
Sean knows his stuff!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
The beauty of the ProPride is that the weight distribution is adjustable.
On our 16' Sean suggested 1000 lb bars and I believe it was the correct choice.
I do not have cranked up very far so it is less than 1000lbs in reality.
The way the truck/trailer rides with these bars is considerably smoother than it was with the 600lb bars I had with the Equalizer. Shockingly smoother! We have done another video from inside the trailer and the difference is noteable. I will post a link at a later time so you can see.
Sean knows his stuff!
Bruce
Bruce, I can't wait to see your video after the Propride. I couldn't believe how rough of ride your first video showed. Was that the reason you switched to the Propride?
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Another very satisfied ProPride 3P. Just tell Sean about your set up and he'll do the rest. I wouldn't consider any other hitch after 14 months with this hitch on my new trailer.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I've been a diehard Hensley user for almost five years, but between my recent warranty claim, and what I'm reading about ProPride's improved design and customer service, I'd go with the PP.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Bruce, I can't wait to see your video after the Propride. I couldn't believe how rough of ride your first video showed. Was that the reason you switched to the Propride?
No, I switched after speaking to a large number of Hensley/ProPride customers who all had the same message, "you can't believe the difference...". Perhaps the most compelling conversation was with a fellow WBCCI member who is an engineer. He asked me if I liked the Equalizer. After listening to my answer he told me that he had been a happy Equalizer user and only became intrigued with the Hensley/ProPride after not being able to grasp how it worked by looking at it. He went home and built a model of the hitch to help get a handle on it and then bought one for himself. He said that he had not realized what he had been missing and that he wouldn't go back. It was his story especially and the impact of a passing semi on a narrow road with the Equalizer that led me to become curious about the hitch.

The smoother ride of the trailer is just a nice side benefit, as is the lack of noise on turns or the ability to open my tailgate all the way while hitched. The real benefit is just how muted the experience of passing a semi at speed is now and how much easier it is to drive with the trailer. Another benefit is that I no longer porpoise while driving on certain roads, something that insufficient weight distribution seemed to be responsible for with the Equalizer. I clearly had the wrong bars with that hitch. Probably my fault as I added weight with the 4d battery

As to the video, we took it on the same road at about the same speeds. There is still lots of crashing around in this video but you can easily discern the difference. Dorsey is in "video production mode" now and we will post it as it gets done....

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Thanks Bruce. I appreciate the additional details on your switch to Propride.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The HENSLEY would be the choice where a used one can be found, re-furbished, and the cost of warranty transer ($500) makes to whole thing come in quite a bit less than a PP. AND if the thing will properly distribute TW for a given TV/TT combination that one is not in need of a PP-sourced tilt adjustable head for the HA.

Etc.

The only other hitch comparable (possibly better than) a VPP style hitch is the PULLRITE.

" . . scoured the threads about how the coupling latch might need to be modified for an ANDERSEN to work properly

That's not a weight-distribution hitch, just an anti-sway device (for TW's of above 500-lbs as bushing compression of more than 1/2-inch is not recommended). The concerns about the quality of the coupler are valid for any hitch and with any trailer. My SILVER STREAK came standard with the recommended ATWOOD coupler, yet it is still a cheap piece of metal ($32) and replacement cost (ceritified welder) might be around $200.

There are other threads about coupler integrity (and the info in the A-users thread ought to be linked to one of those) that make it an investigation to upgrade on par with safety chains (attachments to both vehicles, not just the TT), breakaway switches, etc. These items are rarely examined to a reasonable depth. Happily ignored, in short.

BULLDOG, QUICKBITE and perhaps some others aren't that much more expensive and seem better built (given the risk reduction potential).

I find that the "recommended" ATWOOD coupler makes locking the pawl with the several locks I have impossible. That, for me, is irrational excuse enough to upgrade what rationally known to be a low-cost coupler. I'd rather have better.

The hitch is the expensive piece, granted. But the rest of what couples the TT to TV bears scrutinization to fine degree.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote