Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, Not sure who you are talking about but I have never taken my trailer/TV to a scale. I see no reason to do so. I have set up my Andersen per the makers instructions on three different TVs. All three have transferred the desired weight to the front of the vehicle as evidenced by the height of the fender above the front wheels. I really don’t see any credence in paper napkin fuzzy math. The proof is in the actual performance of the system.
Just as you feel that it is correct for you to slam the Andersen WD system each and every chance you get I feel that I am justified in making my pleasure known with the system and the customer service of the Andersen company known.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Michael, my apology it was another user, a 34' trailer I think who posted scale weights. It may well distribute enough weight on an earlier lightweight trailer such as yours.

I'm not slamming the Andersen system, just reporting what I have experienced, and the reasons I no longer use it. It has as much value as anything on the internet (not much).

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Speaking of customer service, I asked my Andersen retailer for a refund based on the fact that I was sold a hitch that would not work on my trailer without cutting off and replacing the original coupler, as well as being 2,000 miles from home when Andersen began to include this advisory with new hitches.

The retailer asked me to send a photo of the coupler to Andersen. Andersen authorized a refund, and the retailer refunded my cost. That is excellent.

I have asked the retailer (not Andersen) where I should send the hitch, but have not heard from them yet. No, I will not sell it.

So, good for Andersen customer service.

doug k
Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Michael, my apology it was another user, a 34' trailer I think who posted scale weights. It may well distribute enough weight on an earlier lightweight trailer such as yours.

doug k
OK Doug we need some clarification. I, and others, posted scale tickets. Mine were for my 34 ft trailer behind a Ford Excursion. The tickets clearly showed that weight was transferred to the front axle. Are you completely discounting those tickets or question their authenticity.

It seams we may have a difference of opinion here, and that is as it should be in a forum, but please stop voicing an unsupported opinion that there is a safety issue with the Andersen. When No Evidence has been presented of an accident or road side failure. Yes all of us that have had issues with the Atwood coupled have addressed that and now enjoy all of the advantages the Andersen provides. And yes we made that issue public, gave detailed description of the issue and supported it with case photos. If you have similar evidence of your claims please present them so the discussion can continue rather than having to continually question your motivation.

By the way what hitch did you use to get home with?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I'm sorry, and I may get in trouble for saying this, and if so, so be it, but if I would question anyone's "motivation", it would be those who will not allow anything but THE MOST positive comments about the Andersen on here go unchallenged.

I like the Andersen, for the purpose I use it for, however, I'm not wearing blinders when it comes to it's inherent problems and limitations.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I'm sorry, and I may get in trouble for saying this, and if so, so be it, but if I would question anyone's "motivation", it would be those who will not allow anything but THE MOST positive comments about the Andersen on here go unchallenged.
Come on Steve are you forgetting that I originally brought up the issue of the shank coming out of the head if the jack was used to raise the tongue while hitched. Are you forgetting that I was earlier on in questioning the Atwood coupler. Are you forgetting I questioned the statement in the manual that 1 1/2 in. rise in the front axle was acceptable. Are you forgetting my comments on the mounting method of the brackets. Are you forgetting another satisfied user brought up the bracket angle and the effect on the chains. Does that sound like blind applause?

All of these questions have been addressed in rapid order.

Please name me one product in science, medicine, or manufacturing that did not have revisions after it's initial offering. Wilbur and Orval proved that flight was possible but aren't you happy we did not stop there?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
A true statement but somewhat misleading.
It's not misleading at all; not everyone is convinced of the effectiveness of the Andersen system..

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Come on Steve are you forgetting that I originally brought up the issue of the shank coming out of the head if the jack was used to raise the tongue while hitched. Are you forgetting that I was earlier on in questioning the Atwood coupler. Are you forgetting I questioned the statement in the manual that 1 1/2 in. rise in the front axle was acceptable. Are you forgetting my comments on the mounting method of the brackets. Are you forgetting another satisfied user brought up the bracket angle and the effect on the chains. Does that sound like blind applause?

All of these questions have been addressed in rapid order.

Please name me one product in science, medicine, or manufacturing that did not have revisions after it's initial offering. Wilbur and Orval proved that flight was possible but aren't you happy we did not stop there?
All of the above is true, HowieE, but the fact remains you don't hesitate a nanosecond before pouncing on anyone who makes any statement about the Andersen that would indicate it less than perfect.

The hitch is a very interesting concept, hence the reason I bought one, but it is far less than perfect. As a matter of fact, and you can check back on my posts, and you will find I had to disassemble the draw bar and have it re-welded to get the ball height I needed.

Name one product with no revisions??? How about the ProPride hitch. I don't recollect there being any revisions on it, but then again one could argue it is simply a revision of the Hensley. After studying the two, I think it's more like a total redesign, but I'm not even saying it is perfect, just much closer to perfect than the Andersen.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Making a less-than-favorable comment about the Andersen hitch brings contempt and wrath here, and in the other Andersen thread. The many concerns of this hitch cannot be considered or discussed. In so many words it comes down to "it's been addressed now shut up".

Well, not "addressed" in my book. I used it, learned of its functional and safety shortcomings, and took it off; would not tow another mile with it. I learned there's more to a good and safe weight distribution hitch than "it tows smoothly with no sway". An Airstream will do that with no weight distribution hitch.

doug k
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The coupler issue not withstanding, the other apparent weakness seems to be ability to redistribute a lot of weight. I wonder if lengthening the ball shank would help. If the bushings max out at 2,000lbs tension then lengthening the vertical lever arm should increase the torque and forward down force. This might make the hitch a more robust option for heavier loads.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
The coupler issue not withstanding, the other apparent weakness seems to be ability to redistribute a lot of weight. I wonder if lengthening the ball shank would help. If the bushings max out at 2,000lbs tension then lengthening the vertical lever arm should increase the torque and forward down force. This might make the hitch a more robust option for heavier loads.
Just my opinion, but I think it would help a lot with heavier tongue trailers, but then the question comes up, how much longer can it be without becoming a ground clearance problem. Seems it would depend on coupler, and ball height of the trailer.

Most things in life and trailer hitches are a compromise.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
We should not have to re-engineer their hitch to make it work.

Nonetheless I considered adding leverage as well, by lowering the chain connection. Other forces are increased. The cone-shaped, friction covered portion of the ball shank already has twisting forces applied, pulling aft at the bottom rear and opposite at the front top. How much can the friction material withstand of this twisting? How much twisting can the aluminum holder of this ball shank withstand before it breaks? Does the increased pull to the rear overcome or lessen the downward weight of the tongue? Can any coupler latch mechanism, even Quick-bite, continuously withstand additional force applied to it in a direction the coupler designer may have never considered.

Looking at the gap at the rear of the closed Quick-bite, I suspect it will be challenged by this hitch in the long run, even without additional leverage.

Another Andersen concern. Where is the flexibility built into this hitch after the urethane bushings have been compressed. Not much left there. Does that mean the flex required to compensate for road undulations and driveway approaches is transferred to your tow vehicle hitch receiver and the trailer tongue?

doug k
Old 05-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #53
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Please note

A few posts that contravened the "Be Nice" rule (and two replies to them) have been deleted, and the member causing this has been warned.

You are all aware of the "be nice" rule, since you promised to heed it when you signed up.

Please keep your promise in mind when you come to comment on an opinion you may not agree with.

On behalf of
The Site Team
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #54
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I don't intend to get in the middle of the engineering discussions here. I wasn't convinced of the Anderson's effectiveness either. But I was intrigued enough to take a ride to a nearby users home and take a closer look. I was in the market for a new hitch and after giving it a try I am now a happy user. I took a 7000 mi trip south this winter and am still happy and will continue with it. I consider myself still in the trial stage and will keep an eye on things but so far I'm happy with my purchase. I value the opinions seen here. Even the negative ones.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
The saga continues

After replacing my coupler and setting up the AWDH as noted in the directions, we left Florida for 4,500 mile trip. The pictures show the condition of the AWDH at 1,800 miles.

First report - 1,000 miles. Washer being eaten by bushing. Called Andersen and they said to add another washer, which I did. They questioned the amount of pressure on the bushing. I pull with a 2012 Nissan Armada, which by all definition is a short wheelbase vehicle. In order to get the proper weight on the front axle, I needed 10 threads, which is shown in the picture. This was accomplished after three trips to the scales (thanks Howie for the info).

Second report - 1,800 miles (5/28/13) Second washer being eaten by the bushing, friction material being pushed up and excessive wear on chains. Called Andersen and sent pictures. Waiting for response. Will post response.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1116.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	186789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1117.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	186790  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	186791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1119.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	186792  

WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Larry, these are similar to what I was seeing on my Andersen. The washers behind the bushing on mine became concave from the pressure on them, so I added additional washers. When my chains began to show heavy wear from the square metal tubes, I lubricated them. When my bushings became so compressed there was no flexibility left to protect the truck receiver and trailer A-frame, when the ball became so worn it was questionable how long it would last, and when I was informed after-the-fact it was not compatible with the Airstream coupler I took it off the Airstream and asked for a refund.

doug k
Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
It seems more than clear to me the Andersen hitch is another one of those "good ideas", that just isn't panning out to be so good with the larger, heavier trailers.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
It may not be so much the heavier trailers, but the lighter weight tow vehicles. My tounge weight is about 850 to 900 lbs. and I tow it with a F-150 and with only 5 threads the front end of the F-150 comes down to the unloaded height.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
It may not be so much the heavier trailers, but the lighter weight tow vehicles. My tounge weight is about 850 to 900 lbs. and I tow it with a F-150 and with only 5 threads the front end of the F-150 comes down to the unloaded height.
Airstream specs say your trailer has a dry weight of only 5100 lbs, and a hitch weight of only 700 lbs. Not what I would consider a larger, heavier trailer, and if the Andersen didn't work with your trailer, I'd consider it a total failure.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...f02e09acd6.pdf
Old 05-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
........with only 5 threads the front end of the F-150 comes down to the unloaded height.
UP to the unloaded weight, or something is really rong with that hitch.

Bob