Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
UP to the unloaded weight, or something is really rong with that hitch.

Bob
This may be part of the problem, some can't tell up from down. The front end should return Down to close to the unloaded height or up to close to the unloaded weight.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE

This may be part of the problem, some can't tell up from down. The front end should return Down to close to the unloaded height or up to close to the unloaded weight.
Maybe Bob was talking about the rear end? Benefit of the doubt? :Wally:
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
He's talking about the front weight number being UP (higher number) which results in lowered front height. He knows up from down.....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Lots of good material for a stand-up comedy act here lately.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Indeed, the biggest joke is on us who bought this device on the misbelief they had actually tested it before they put it on the market.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Guy walks in to an Airstream dealer...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
An informed consumer is a happy consumer. And sometimes one has to get over his personal problems and move on.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Ok, so I stated it wrong, The front of the truck came DOWN to the unloaded height.
The scale weight of my trailer loaded to travel is 6020 lbs. Of course that includes 60 lbs. of propane and two batteries and a storage bin that holds maybe 10 lbs. of tools just behind the propane bottles.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51
Ok, so I stated it wrong, The front of the truck came DOWN to the unloaded height.
The scale weight of my trailer loaded to travel is 6020 lbs. Of course that includes 60 lbs. of propane and two batteries and a storage bin that holds maybe 10 lbs. of tools just behind the propane bottles.
You were fine - your post made it clear about the front coming down.

You mention scale weight - were you able to see how much weight was restored to the front axle? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #70
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Lots of good material for a stand-up comedy act here lately.

Or we could all toe up to weightless C-a-n-a-d-eh.

Bob
Old 05-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Pickup trucks are made to carry a load so it seems to me that when the front of the truck is brought back down to unloaded height and the rear of the truck is a little lower than the unloaded height and the trailer is level than I have a good setup. If I have to turn this into rocket science than that will take all the fun out of the Airstream experience for me. I am just a retired natural gas company worker how has spent 40 years in the field trying to make the office engineer's ideas work.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
Pickup trucks are made to carry a load so it seems to me that when the front of the truck is brought back down to unloaded height and the rear of the truck is a little lower than the unloaded height and the trailer is level than I have a good setup. If I have to turn this into rocket science than that will take all the fun out of the Airstream experience for me. I am just a retired natural gas company worker how has spent 40 years in the field trying to make the office engineer's ideas work.
I think most people here will agree with that setup being good. At least, that is how I setup my hitches with a pickup.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #73
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I think most people here will agree with that setup being good. At least, that is how I setup my hitches with a pickup.
^^
X3

Works for our Burb.

If not sure or load changes...a trip to the CAT's

Bob
Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Yup. What they said. Just curious as you mentioned scales. Enjoy and safe travels!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #75
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Yup. What they said. Just curious as you mentioned scales. Enjoy and safe travels!
Scales aren't really important unless your interested in knowing if you've overloaded your axles, tires, receiver... you know those pesky little tings.

But yes... it can be set up without knowing any of that.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Bob - I had to go a few times just to see for myself. I won't lie - first time, I ticked off the lady running the scales cause I had no idea what I was doing and then Ron Gratz ACCURATELY guessed my personal weight based on the data I posted here :-) but I'm glad to know for my setup how it works. Now I just tinker around a bit based on those first few runs. But I think the process of returning the front fenders to their original height is a great starting place and close enough for jazz.....
Old 05-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Steve and all; this is how I also set up my trailer /TV .
Comments on "hitch wear" Andersen ball has wear on back towards trailer, some chain wear, but most trouble with the shackels coming unthreaded at wing and chain receiver moving; I haven't welded or bolted them.
I still have my Equlizer, so I checked it. The ball has most wear on the front, towards TV, and some on the shank towards the trailer. I also had trouble withe the stabilizer brackets moving. Yes, I tried Gene's (?) method with the tubing n the bolts. At one time the bracket moved enough that the Equ. bar came off the rest. I also used this hitch on my AS 30 ft. and I believe that it caused the crack in the body at the battery boxes. I had 1K bars. I will say that the hitch performed as advertised fro sway and etc.
Which do/did I like best; The Andersen because of weight. Installation on both was about the same.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
From my own experience of using the Andersen with a pickup truck and reading about other peoples experience of the Andersen with SUVs and sedans, that the Andersen may be better suited for use with pickup trucks and full sized vans because they are built to haul weight. If most SUVs and most sedans built with four wheel independent suspension to give a softer car like ride, they may be better off to use a Hensley or Pro Pride.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #79
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Bob - I had to go a few times just to see for myself. I won't lie - first time, I ticked off the lady running the scales cause I had no idea what I was doing and then Ron Gratz ACCURATELY guessed my personal weight based on the data I posted here :-) but I'm glad to know for my setup how it works. Now I just tinker around a bit based on those first few runs. But I think the process of returning the front fenders to their original height is a great starting place and close enough for jazz.....
I used measurements the first time towing the Classic, got us within 100lbs on the steering axle, the system does work well if done carefully.
I've PO'd several CAT ladies also, when I feel it's needed I try to stop late at night if the scales are well lit.

Thing is with us, if its a "trip" and we're not dock'n the loading is much different. After 10yrs with the Classic I can usually get the WD set to avoid the white knuckles, but the scale just eases my anal brain.

Bob
Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
In preparation for a 4,000 mile trip through New England and back, I hitched up my trailer yesterday for a forty mile test run. I have only towed a couple thousand miles with my Andersen hitch setup this Spring. I still can't believe how easy it is to install, how quiet it is, how it totally stops porpoising, and improves the ride of my pickup. Interstate trucks did not even make the trailer shudder as they passed. I do have to put a sticker on my dash to remind me that my combination is now fifty feet long. I realize the Andersen is not for everyone, but for those of us with the right equipment, it is terrific. My trailer is only 6,000 pounds, my pickup is a long bed 2500. Great combination for towing.
Rendrag is offline   Reply With Quote