Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
There is quite a following of folks who swear by the PPP and Hensley hitches for sure. I have never owned/used one, but I have only seen 2 threads here on the Forum, where guys went back to another brand. From my understanding the most common complaint for these hitches is "hooking up" or "unhooking" on uneven or sloped ground; or having to unhook with TV at an angle from the AS? Still, folks who own these type hitches' seem to love the performance when towing.

I have only witnessed 2 "new" PPP's being installed real time; once at Alumalina couple years ago, and prior to that at a rally in Johnson City TX 4 years ago. In both cases, considerable amount of time was spent,( 4-5 hours?), installing and adjusting in each case. Not sure the difficulty nor did I ask; but in both cases, they were being installed by folks who owned one and had done this before. I also observed both "new" owners, spend at least 45 min. or more "hooking up" when they were getting ready to pull out couple days later, due to alignment issues with their TV, or terrain, or something...requiring some help while hooking up. My observation and my neighbors also...just seemed a bit of a hassle.

Of the different dealers I have talked with/been to over the years, some offer Blue Ox only, some offer a choice of BO or Equalizer. Think it is dealers choice likely still, but some may not want the liability, or lack the experienced installers. Doubt AS Corp. would "mandate"...but they likely would "recommend" a particular hitch.
If someone doesn’t have a backup camera I can see the hitch being difficult to hookup. I have never had a problem except when I had the trailer pulled into a service bay (not by me), and the entrance to the bay had a severe slope and then leveled out. I couldn’t get my pickup level. (I now carry levelers for my truck wheels.) It took me a bit longer, but got it done. It typically takes me about 5 or 10 minutes to hook up and be ready to go.

Really the way you unhook is the way you hook up.

This is also why I carry a lot bar so that just in case I can move the trailer to more level ground on just a ball.

As far as time to put a new hitch on it typically takes about 3 to 4 hours. If one does it all the time like in a hitch place I’ve heard about 1 to 2 hours.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
​2020 Atlas​
Phoenix , Arizona
Thank you for the clarification. I used to deal with Colonial Airstream but I moved to AZ last year. My dealer is WeareAirstream Chandler and they told me that this was an Airstream dictate passed down from higher up.
I put this on the forum to see if this was the experience of other Airstream owners - are dealers telling owners a certain policy for their own reasons and then saying that they can’t change it because it comes from corporate headquarters?
Robkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:32 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
​2020 Atlas​
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
Not to be hung up on semantics but I didn't say "it is false", I said "I think it is false" and asked for the source of the information.

Dealers frequently give out information that is in their best financial interest, not what's best for the customer. Think of all the sleazy car salesman stereotypes out there and they also apply to RVs too. Undercoating - sure you need that. Extended warranty - sure. Super special ceramic lifetime paint coating - add that too.

If you want a definitive answer, contact AS directly, they are pretty responsive and will give you the truth. Don't rely on information from a forum.

I just can't imagine a policy where "NO Airstream dealer in the US is allowed to install any hitch except for the BlueOx". What about AS dealers that carry multiple brands of trailers?
Thank you for the clarification. I used to deal with Colonial Airstream but I moved to AZ last year. My dealer is WeareAirstream Chandler and they told me that this was an Airstream dictate passed down from higher up.
I put this on the forum to see if this was the experience of other Airstream owners - are dealers telling owners a certain policy for their own reasons and then saying that they can’t change it because it comes from corporate headquarters?
Robkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
The last few hitch-ups with my PPP have been solo…no help from the DW. I have a camera. Target square is painted safety yellow. Yellow silicone cup on the tip of the stinger that moves to the top once I get close and doubles as a shin-saver when unhitched. Line up the two yellow points in the camera. Back up until close. Move the cup. Adjust the tongue height. Back up about halfway in. Check the tongue height and adjust if necessary. Back in until it stops. Crank tight the OCL with a breaker bar.

I’m not super experienced; maybe 30+ hitch-ups. Early on I had a couple of opportunities for exercising my patience and my spatial relationship skills but soon learned how to get it done. Now, next time I hitch up is bound to be a challenge but I carry a lot bar. Never have used it.

I installed the hitch myself. Not difficult. I emailed the folks at ProPride on a Sunday and heard back in just a few minutes. I had overtorqued a U-bolt and snapped it. Set to leave to days later. Brent told me what to buy at the auto parts store. He overnighted replacements, too. I don’t think these guys take time off.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:07 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
We Are Airstream does not like to install any hitch that they did not sell. I bought a Blue Ox sway pro from Amazon. It cost less than half the price the dealer was asking. Dealer refused to install it because they did not sell it. I opened the box and put everything together in less than 1 hour.
kdfulsome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 05:36 AM   #46
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
The worst part about installing a Pro Pride is the weight of the head that attaches to your trailer ball hitch, not the correct terms so I hope you'll understand what I'm referring to. I personally wouldn't want someone else to install it, from experience it's not done right. Instructions are pretty good, just takes some time and help attaching the head, it's pretty heavy and unwieldy. At home I used a floor jack to raise it. When we purchased our 2015, the dealer had installed it, I just had to redo everything, but they did the heavy lifting. It's not hard at all, and you'll know that it was installed correctly.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:13 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Boise , ID
Airstream adventure told me they don’t like the ProPride but we’re fine making me a spot to install it. They seem to like that I have the lot bar and put it on for them every time I drop it off. There are a couple pro prides when I look around the lot but the rest seem to be blue ox.

I think I got the hitch head onto the ball without too much trouble by putting the head on the stinger and backing up to the trailer to connect to the ball. No need for a jack that way. The hardest part for me was torquing the stinger bolts a few times because I couldn’t make up my mind if pointing up was more level than down. I was exactly in the middle as it turns out so I went with up so I have a place to hold my 7 way cable. Really like that I can open the tailgate, slide the grill out, and cook right there while hooked up. And the no sway is nice too.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:34 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Not sure about the towing difference between PPP/Hensley vs Blue Ox Sway Pro, but I know the initial installation does not take 4-5 hours. I have watched them install new, 2 BOSP's on my "then new", 2014 25' and 2017 28' in about 45 min; pretty straight forward.

I can hook up/ unhook with the Blue Ox in about 5 minutes. (I also have a back-up camera on my TV, which I highly recommend with any hitch!) Safety- The Blue Ox anti sway has saved us on at least 2 occasions where an emergency abrupt swerve happened, and the AS straightened right out. I am sure the PPP/Hensley crowd is very satisfied also with the safety and performance of those hitches, from what I read. Just seems you need pretty level surface to hook/unhook.

I am very satisfied with the Blue Ox SP. New cost is typically less than $700~. The chain tension on the anti sway bars, keep the AS in line with the TV. I can hook up/unhook pretty much anywhere; if there is an odd angle or incline, just use the ball to move to better angle easily to add/remove the sway bars; rare occasion, but can happen. I do use an 18" socket braker bar with 1" socket for loading/unloading the sway bars and I do use the power jack to raise and reduce any tension when loading/unloading, per the recommended "youtube". Very important to learn the proper way to do this. But, once you understand, hook up the loading and unloading of the AS to the hitch is pretty fast and easy, IMHO.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Dealers mark up parts. Their new brake assembly will be twice the cost of the same brake assembly on Amazon…even if you take it home and install it yourself. At least that is my experience. Markup of parts is just part of the business model. I wouldn’t expect them to charge the same labor for a brake assembly replacement with a brake assembly I purchased on Amazon as compared to their own brake assembly. A hitch is simply another part that needs labor to be installed.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:56 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
A number of years back when I took the 30' in for warranty service at Windish in Denver, CO they would not service it till I took the PPP off the trailer. Discusion with the manager was to no avail. I left the trailer parked in the drive line and spend about 45 minutes taking it off. Towed it home on the ball without issue and then put it back on. Never been back to Windish. One of many reasons I chose to use the BlueOx this time. No issues or questions there.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:22 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I installed the Hensley Arrow on the 2013 25FB International Serenity and after trading the 25FB in on the Classic reused the Hensley on our 2015 23D International Serenity. I installed my first ProPride on the 2013 Classic in January 2014 and put a new one on the Classic last year (2021) to get the upgrades. The 23D also migrated from the original Hensley Arrow to a new ProPride later that summer.

The instructions are good and it helps to have a third or fourth hand at some points, but it is a doable event solo with proper tools and accessories in the shop.

The service staff at some dealerships are still learning the difference between a flat bladed screwdriver and a Phillips head screw driver. I have no faith in the Airstream dealerships ability to properly install a ProPride correctly. At one point in time, a Phoenix dealership could not solve the reason the ceiling light lenses were cracking in my 2014 Classic and were going to install the new ones the same way as before. I figured out the solution and never had a lenses crack since.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:46 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure about the towing difference between PPP/Hensley vs Blue Ox Sway Pro, but I know the initial installation does not take 4-5 hours. I have watched them install new, 2 BOSP's on my "then new", 2014 25' and 2017 28' in about 45 min; pretty straight forward.
I don't have a ProPride, Hensley, or Blue Ox so I may not be qualified to say this, but, I think the hitch they are claiming takes 4 - 5 hours to install is the ProPride/Hensley.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Past the learning curve, to do a through job, the Hensley 2 1/2 hours. Took me maybe 5-6 hours before to really be certain. Maybe I’am slow doer / learner
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:25 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Past the learning curve, to do a through job, the Hensley 2 1/2 hours. Took me maybe 5-6 hours before to really be certain. Maybe I’am slow doer / learner
Or, just perhaps a person doing a thorough job! Nothing wrong with that!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:00 AM   #55
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but my first thought when reading this thread's opening post is that perhaps Airstream is constrained by a contractual obligation in their new deal with the Blue Ox people.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I think it simply boils down to experience/training and what the dealer has done before. For them time is money and if they have plenty on their plate then why mess with something that takes more time and learning. That is probably why some have been able to get a non-PP dealer to do the install for big bucks as that is their way of saying "I don't want to do it, but if you're willing to pay a premium I will". In the end I think you are always better off doing the hitch install yourself as you will take the time to make sure it is right. If the dealer says Airstream will only authorize a Blue Ox hitch install then tell them to show you where it states such in the manual and/or specification, and please let us know if they do.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
In the end I think you are always better off doing the hitch install yourself as you will take the time to make sure it is right.
^1.

And you see how it works and how to adjust it.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If I understand the system correctly. Airstream dealer buys the trailer from Airstream. The dealer can then sell it for what he wants for it. I doubt if Airstream is going to refuse to sell him more trailers if he sells a different brand hitch. I can well see a dealer refusing to install any customer supplied hitch. They want the profit on the hitch and have leverage to get it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:51 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I doubt that an Airstream dealer can buy the hitch at a dealer price and resell at retail. So basically they only would be getting the labor cost, where if they can sell another brand they make money on the hitch and the labor. It boils down to how much they can profit, maximizing there labor force.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:28 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
I can appreciate that the dealer is caught in an awkward position if something doesn’t work or if something breaks down the road for customer supplied parts. One could easily envision a situation where the manufacturer says the parts were installed wrong and the dealer is saying the parts were defective. The customer, dealer and parts manufacturer would all be in a no-win situation. The dealer, especially one for a high-end product like AS, wants to be a one-stop full-service experience. Adding to this, they are in business to make money (nothing wrong with that). With Amazon and other online retailers killing their parts business profits I don’t see why a dealer would install parts purchased at the very online retailers that are hurting their profits. I may be going against the group here, but I think it’s a good business decision BOTH from a profit perspective AND (in the long term) a customer relations perspective. You’re not going to remember paying a bit more for a product as much as you will the finger pointing on who is responsible to make it right when something goes wrong.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote