Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Can someone please explain how the weight transfer works with a wdh and one of these shock absorbing hitches? It seems counter-intuitive to expect the load bars to transfer weight forward if there is flex between the wdh and the TV. Specifically, I am wondering about the Equalizer set up ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindrm View Post
I have the Gen-Y torsion hitch. It works pretty well. Definitely smooths out the ride. I have a 3" receiver so I bought the larger Gen-Y (17k maybe?).

The issue I have when using it with the equalizer hitch is I cannot get all the washers to go on. There is not enough clearance to angle the equalizer back (it hits the front of the Gen-Y). I got 3 washers on and its candidly not enough. I wonder if the lighter weight Gen-Y would work....but its too expensive to try as an experiment.

Following up on this issue for anyone who searches the forum down the road….

As I mentioned, when I originally got the Gen-Y, I wasn’t able to install sufficient washers for the equalizer. I ultimately went in a different direction and had a Propride installed (obviously worked amazing). I got a new trailer and thought I would would give this a try again.

First, a bit of a backstory…. With my original trailer, the dealer had “thrown in” a Equalizer hitch as part of the deal. Once I got home I realized it was a 16k equalizer hitch (ridiculous). That was why I immediately wanted to try something to smooth it out.

Fast forward to today, I bought a new 10k equalizer locally (so I could return it if it doesn’t fit). It turns out the APPROPRIATE weight Equalizers work GREAT on the Gen-Y. So as long as you aren’t putting the 16k equalizer on a 16k/17k Gen-Y, you will be fine!

The end…
mountaindrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindrm View Post
Following up on this issue for anyone who searches the forum down the road….

As I mentioned, when I originally got the Gen-Y, I wasn’t able to install sufficient washers for the equalizer. I ultimately went in a different direction and had a Propride installed (obviously worked amazing). I got a new trailer and thought I would would give this a try again.

First, a bit of a backstory…. With my original trailer, the dealer had “thrown in” a Equalizer hitch as part of the deal. Once I got home I realized it was a 16k equalizer hitch (ridiculous). That was why I immediately wanted to try something to smooth it out.

Fast forward to today, I bought a new 10k equalizer locally (so I could return it if it doesn’t fit). It turns out the APPROPRIATE weight Equalizers work GREAT on the Gen-Y. So as long as you aren’t putting the 16k equalizer on a 16k/17k Gen-Y, you will be fine!

The end…

Yep, same setup as you with the Gen-Y and the EQ. Works great!
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Ditto for us on the Equalizer 10k but with the Shocker Equalizer Air hitch. Works great and phenomenal "jounce" absorbtion! It is very nice to be able to "tune" the air pressure in the Shocker air bag to lessen the jolts transferred from our F350 ... makes for smoothe sailing.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote