Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Airsafe Hitch

Interested in your thoughts on this hitch.
Airsafe Hitch
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I think forum member Artstream has one of these. I remember seeing it at the Moraine View rally.

Would these work with a weight distribution/sway control hitch like Equal-I-Zer or in place of it?
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Would these work with a weight distribution/sway control hitch like Equal-I-Zer or in place of it?
I wondered about that also. The website is equivocal. They show one rig with it in the video and state something to the effect of follow maunfactures recomendations.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
I think forum member Artstream has one of these.
And Artstream tows with a BIG truck. Airsafe used to be called AirRide (eg, airridehitch.com now redirects you to airsafehitches.com). There are any number of hits if you search the forums on airride. It fits in the receiver and I believe the hitch bar for the WD gear fits into the AirRide (now AirSafe) hitch. I recall one member trying one but stopped using it pretty quickly because of the large amount of flexing seen; eg, imagine the hitch bar movement when engaging WD bars and double that because of the two connections. I've got a GMC and GM has had receiver failures that may not be completely resolved. Me? I wouldn't do it with my truck. That being said, it would be good to have a larger sample size of experiences. Please report back if you go this direction.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
_

. , .
are you thinking about adding this product to your inventory 68 O'?

michael is very happy with the air ride....

on his e350 dually box van...

which has a payload of 24-25,000 lbs, as i recall...

YES his w/d bars and anti sway are compatible

and he has a class 5 receiver.

don't think i'll add one to the haha however...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Click image for larger version

Name:	airsafe1.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	46444

Name:	airsafe2.JPG
Views:	788
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	46445

Name:	airsafe3.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	46446

Name:	airsafe4.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	46447
Company sales rep call me this morning out of the blue. Wanted to come by and show me their stuff. He travels the country and "happend" to be in town. I agreed to at least have a look and was inpressed with the quality and ride. Showed me the cup water that sits on the counter (not glued...I did check)
Mods...Maybe should be in the vendor forum but since we don't carry it, I placed it here.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
_

. , .
randy...

artstream started using his after repairing the INADEQUATE FRONT END of his trailer...

some of the info is here in post 47 or so...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-35237.html

he seems 2be pretty sure the hitch is helping after the repair...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
I own one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Interested in your thoughts on this hitch.
Airsafe Hitch
Randy and all,
I have one a like it very much....after I changed the airbag. To get the W/D head, one must buy a class 5. It comes with a conveluted type bag on it, which is much too heavy for the light tongue weight of an Airstream. I own a 29' Excella, and I installed a 'rolling sleeve' type bag on the hitch. It takes the 'fram, bam type hits the tongue receives when being pulled by the stiffer sprung 250's, 2500's and heavier trucks, and absorbs it into the bag. As previously stated, it will save the front of your trailer from being flexed up and down to the point it seperates.
I would buy it again, and to those willing to spend the money, I recommend them, but only with a change of airbag. Now the front kitchen 34's, the slide units and such with higher tongue weights, might find the heavier bag acceptable.
I do think that the trailer benefits from the hitch more than the tow vehicle does. The hitch will not majically take a rough riding truck and make it smooth, but it will improve it as well as almost removing the porpoise action so many experience.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
2air
I was diggin out a hitch I bought 10 yrs ago,its still new. It seems workable for and AS. I just dont know what brand it is and Reese is close.It doesnt say Reese on it just the#55500 has a 2-5/16 ball ,square trunion bars with a hand indicates it might be a straight-line. But I am not able to find that number anywhere.I think all that is lacking is the U-bolts to bolt it to a trailer frame. Oh,whats and the channel size of a AS tongue and whats coupler height of an AS leveled out? U think this sounds like it will do the job?
We are still looking for our first AS.I am just buyin the small stuff first.
Thanks
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Class 5 Airsafe Hitch = $870.00 on sale.

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit
...I just dont know what brand it is and Reese is close.It doesnt say Reese on it just the#55500 has a 2-5/16 ball ,square trunion bars with a hand indicates it might be a straight-line...Roger
hi roger

take a photo of the hitch and post it...

i'm sure someone will recognize the brand/model...

my understanding is that many of the less common models are actually made by 1-2 of the major brands...

since you don't have the trailer yet, it may or may not work...

some hitches allow interchanging w/d bars and others do not....

the trailer tongue mass will ultimately determine the needed hitch rating.

cheers
2air'

Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Thumbs up

I have the Easy Rider Air Hitch which is now AirRide Air Hitch.

Makes a big difference in the ride. Wife had stomach cancer and after the operation she could not bear any bouncing of her stomach. So, I decided to purchase the Air Hitch. It .does reduce the bouncing significantly but not totally and make the to and from ride more enjoyable. It is a little touchy as it is an extension of the truck and yea, I guess it does reduce the stress on the trailer.
Class 4 is not weight distribution capable in order to use weight distribution you will need the Class 5 which can be used with weight distribution system. Do I like it - Yes. Would I purchase it again.... yes.

Was it worth the $$ yes. Is it heavy - yes. 85 lbs w/o the weight distribution system. w/ 100 lbs.

Name:	easy-rider-receiver.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	46472
----------------------------------------
S-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Thanks for the response guys. I might consider it if I can get enough feedback and maybe they will let us test one where I can confirm with my Airstream and the other hauler we use. I just through it out there because they contacted us. Most manufactures just send us brochures and they pile up because we don't have the time to test everything under the sun but at least I got to meet their only traveling sales rep that had one with him (and a toy hauler full of all models on display) Interesting product. What I need is "somebody" to tell us there is a better hitch. More important is if somebody has one and does not like it for whatever reason other than buyers remorse. I'm fully aware of the HA and how it operates, nice product.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
i would guess that it can't be used with a Hensley?
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
At $900 the glow of a neat idea gets dimmed some. It would be nice to see some evidence of effectiveness beyond advertising and testimonials. I could see where it would be great, but then I thought that about all those backup cameras the forums was abuzz with last winter......

Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
At $900 the glow of a neat idea gets dimmed some. It would be nice to see some evidence of effectiveness beyond advertising and testimonials. I could see where it would be great, but then I thought that about all those backup cameras the forums was abuzz with last winter......
Not to hijack Randy's thread, but you mentioned back-up cameras. I am currently testing a high quality wireless camera unit that accepts up to 4 cameras, is full color, has a great picture quality, a wireless range in excess of 100' and has audio at the camera also. I just got my test unit from the manufacturer a few days before I left OR, and have used it 3 times to hook up. Went right on the ball each time! A nice, compact unit that seems to really work .......so far

I'll finish the testing when I get back to FL after the Balloon Fiesta and will file a full report with pictures at that time.........stay tuned!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
2Air
Thanks If I can figure out how to post pic's I will do that. I bought about 10yrs ago It had been on a 24ft enclosed car trailer and thats why I bought it,I was gonna use it for the same thing,just never did. U-bolts I have are for 6"channel frame. I also found that the ball is 21/1/2 inches above the ground on my Monster truck and now I have to find a drop receiver,to make the top of the ball 18" to couple correctly with an airstream
Thanks 2AIR
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

I bought an AirSafe air ride hitch a couple of years ago after the board discussions about how stiff truck suspensions are not good for Airstreams (or actually any trailer). I remember Andy making the point the Airstreams today have more frame-and-body integrity problems than they used to have when they were pulled with boulevard-ride sedans. I used to pull my Airstream with a soft-ride Ford Custom 500. Today, I have a stiffly sprung F250. And I can tell you that I began to loose rivits with the stiffer-riding truck and experienced some interior-wall cracking in two places.

Well, I bought a Class V AirSafe hitch, use my weight transfer bars, and have confirmed that all the stuff the manufacturer says about them is true. My Airstream now thinks it's being pulled by my old sedan. It no longer feels the jerking and jarring of the stiff truck suspension. The AirSafe air ride hitch allows the trailer to flex on its own torsion bar suspension largely independent of what the truck is doing. I can push the hitch up-and-down by hand when it is hooked up to the truck, and the truck hardly moves while the trailer goes with the flow. Same thing happens on the road.

It is a great innovation for those who want to be kind to their trailer. And it also helps the operator as well, since the ride in the tow vehicle is helped by being allowed to take the bumps largely without interference from the trailer.

The Firestone airbags on which the hitch operates are inflatable up to 100 psi. My Airstream uses about 45 pounds. Each hitch weight would require more or less air. There are marks on the hitch which show when the proper amount of air is in the bags. It has a tire-type Schraeder valve for filling up or releasing air as needed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67
that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Airstreamer67, thanks for the report. Well detailed feedback is a tremendous help for those of us on limited budgets trying to direct the money to where it will do the most good. The price of this hitch is within reach if I know it really does what it is supposed to.
It would be interesting to meter 1000 miles of towing without the hitch and 1000 with the hitch to determine the difference in transfered shock.....

Old 10-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Well General, I have no way of actually measuring the effect, except observing the soft ride the trailer is now getting by watching the trailer sway independently to the beat of its own drum in the rear view mirror while my F250 does the same on those unmerciful Interstates.

I did a lot of rearview trailer watching on my first trip with the AirSafe hitch, a 5000-mile crosscountry journey, and I can confidently confirm the positive attributes claimed by the manufacturer.

The only downsides that I can think of are the price (nearly $1000 for the Class V), the weight you need to tote while putting it on and taking it off (heavy, but I can do it at age 64) and it does add some length to the hitch which theoretically can add to the effect of the trailer hitch weight on the tow vehicle (altough this effect is possibly negated by the use of the weight transfer bars, whose effect is correspondingly magnified by the extra length), and I've felt no problems related to this extra length. In fact, the only problem I experienced on the crosscountry trip was with the chain attachment of one of my weight transfer bars: a simple nut worked loose. As a result, I took off the bars early on my transcontinental trip intending to get a replacement part at a hardware store in the next town, but it felt so good I passed it by and finished the trip (about 4500 miles) without the bars and experienced no problems whatsoever. So, I waited until I got home to fix the transfer bar's chain attachment.

One little bonus concering the extra length of the hitch: I can now fully open the tailgate of my F250 for full access to the bed with the trailer hitched up.

As I said, me and my rig really appreciate the mellowing effect of our air hitch. I wish I would have had it when I first got my Airstream 21 years ago, but it hadn't been invented yet. But, better late than never, as my trailer likes to say.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote