Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2003, 10:12 PM   #1

Advice needed: hitch, controller, etc.

Just bought a 1990 32-foot Excella 1000. GVWR is 8300#. I will be pulling it with a 1999 F-350 PSD crew cab dually.

Questions:
1) Is an exhaust brake desirable or necessary?
2) What hitch would your recommend?
3) What brand of brake controller is best?
4) What brand of tires (ST designation) and which outlet?

We plan to tow it 15,000 miles each year going from both coasts for visits, etc.

To those who respond, Thank You in advance!

Stu
Stu Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First of all, congratulations on your new purchase! Also, welcome to the forum ~

There have been several discussions on these things here, you may want to perform a search of previous threads using the built-in "search" feature. But to get you started, try these discussions:

Hitch
Brake Controllers
Tires

Good luck, feel free to ask many questions...folks with lots of A/S experience & knowledge will respond.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 05:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Smile Welcome!!

Stu,

For a trailer your size, you may want to consider the Hensley Arrow hitch. It's an awesome weight distribution and you get no/zero sway, but they are pricey. You can get a free video at www.nosway.com The testimonials are a bit over the top but you do get to see it's operation.

As far as best brake controlllers, that's like opening a can of worms !! I just installed the Jordan Ultima 2020. I had a Reese Brakeman, probably the worst controller on the market, and it was really jerky while stopping. The Jordan is so smooth, you truly don't know that the trailer is behind you. The more brake you apply, the more current goes to the magnets, the more trailer braking you have. But there are other good brake controllers out there and he'll hear about them soon!!

Trailer tires, I'm using the Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15D and paid $87ea. I got about 10,000 miles on them and their really wearing well.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 05:51 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
jake

a jake brake on your tow rig?

now that would be way cool! the neighbors would certainly know when you returned!

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

i don't know if it would be a necessity or not, in the moutains it could save on your brakes quite a bit!

you diesel guys have all the fun!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Exhaust Brake?

I have a Jacob's manufactured, Chrysler designed exhaust brake for my 2001 ho 6 sp Dodge one-ton. It is absolutely the best money that I have spent on my rigs. There is no grade that I can't desend without braking! I simply decide how fast I wish to travel, put the truck in the appropriate gear for that speed and let 'er rip! I also use it for approaching stop lights at the bottom of hills and on a cold morning will engage it to allow for faster engine warm-up.

As to hitches, I'm not going to touch THAT subject!

Bruce
wallybyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Bruce hit the nail on the head. If you plan on spending much time in the mountains on your trips, the jake brake is worth the money. Banks www.bankspower.com sells them and Camping World advertises them in their catalog. Also check www.tstproducts.com in Columbus, IN, Bully Dog Technologies in Aberdeen, ID at (208) 397-3200, also www.bd-power.com for a few sources of jake brakes.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 02:02 PM   #7

To Stu Clark
Quote:
Just bought a 1990 32-foot Excella 1000.
I think you have great taste: we just bought a 1990 32-foot Excella, last evening !!!
I was told the 32' was not a popular trailer, I guess we are changing that trend.

Ours came with tires described by the saleman as "very good". Yes, full depth of thread. He forgot to mention the cracked sidewalls from sitting for years, the LT with load range C. Which give 6000Lbs rating for a 8300Lbs trailer. It drew a complete blank. More incompetance I guess than malice: he did not even told us they were selling the Marathon at the dealership !!!!

John:

You just paid $87 for the Marathon. Where ?
We have been trying to compare not only $, but warranty. We used to buy at Sam's Club (about $100 mounted with lifetime warranty)
We tried to check with Goodyear on their warranty (more Goodyear dealers than SC when traveling). Cannot find anything about it. They say: "we are in the process of reworking the terms of our warranty".
Don't know yet if we are going to be able to shop for these tires later on, or we may have to put tires on this thing when we pick it up (160miles, mostly back roads, and we'll take our spare just in case).
Anything you may have on your current warranty will be very appreciated.

Chantal
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:40 AM   #8

Thumbs up Thank you to those who responded

Thank you for all the comments. I appreciate your time and the references. You clarified a lot for me.
Stu
Stu Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Goodyear tires

Chantal,

I bought my tires from a Goodyear dealer, Gator Tire in Sanford,FL.

The tires were $87ea plus $5.00 for the valve stem & balancing for a total of:$92.00ea.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote