Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan P. View Post
We tow our 1965 Airstream Globetrotter 20ft. with our 2019 Highlander SE AWD V-6. Our local Airstream dealer recommended an Equalizer WD hitch system.It works great!
Awesome thank you!!
jenwillAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Equalizer hitches work well and are easy to use, but they are not a good choice for a 16' basecamp because the bars are stiffer than other choices. The limited flex range loads the bars rather than letting the vehicle springs accept the load and transfers the stress to the trailer. Since Basecamps are small and light, they are not in a good position to accept the strain. The Andersen chains and neoprene springs are much more forgiving and don't imposed imbalanced twisting on uneven terrain.
On way now to check one out. Crossing my fingers!
Old 09-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
Hi Jenwillar, I am an Airstreamer in Little Rock. Do you know about the Arkansas Razorback Airstream Club?
I have had one other say something about that. I will have to look it up!!
Old 09-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Eaz Lift elite is a very good choice for this set up also as was mentioned. Full disclosure: I use Blue Ox. It is not a good choice for the Basecamp.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Sonoma , California
Hi jenwillAR,
I have an Anderson hitch set up left over from my previous Airstream. Has WD and sway control. New condition. Let me know if you are interested.
Boba
Boba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I have an Andersen and I love it. It is easy enough to install, light, and clean, but I doubt it would solve your problem. The Andersen will not transfer very much weight. I switched from an F-150 to a GMC 2500 for that reason, after trying a Blue Ox on the Ford.

I'd bet you have a tow vehicle cargo capacity issue. How much stuff are you hauling in the Highlander?
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I have used both the Anderson and Equalizer on my setups.

For your application, so long as you can get the brackets installed on the tongue, I would recommend the Anderson. It's cleaner, lighter, and easier to use. Highly recommended for smaller trailers.

I do enjoy the Equalizer also, and use it today, but that's because I now tow a much larger 27FB trailer.

Good luck!
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
pteck, you seem to have this down pat!
Old 09-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #29

2020 16' Bambi
Olympia , X
We purchased an Equalizer 600/6000 4 way sway for our 16ft Bambi and the dealer hooked it up to our Highlander. It worked very well, was stable and distributed weight to the front axel just as it is intended to do. Very happy with this WD system.
kbshill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
blueOx

got the blueOx system for our 19ft flying cloud. TV is 2019 Grand Cherokee. had it since may and works great...
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:48 AM   #31
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
I have a Hensley Cub on m 23FB, but have experience with Anderson, having used it in 2 previous SOBs. It is easy to install. I would recommend finding their manual and read how to install it and take measurements to determine if it can be installed without interference. What I like about the Anderson is sway control is the same no matter how much or little weight is distributed. It’s silent and there isn’t a problem backing with it in place. I have heard people who say it will not allow enough weight transfer. I had 1400# tongue weight and could move back to the steer axle all that was “lost”. You simply use the tongue jack to raise it high then tighten the nuts as needed.
FE
Old 09-27-2020, 05:43 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair_Enough View Post
I have a Hensley Cub on m 23FB, but have experience with Anderson, having used it in 2 previous SOBs. It is easy to install. I would recommend finding their manual and read how to install it and take measurements to determine if it can be installed without interference. What I like about the Anderson is sway control is the same no matter how much or little weight is distributed. It’s silent and there isn’t a problem backing with it in place. I have heard people who say it will not allow enough weight transfer. I had 1400# tongue weight and could move back to the steer axle all that was “lost”. You simply use the tongue jack to raise it high then tighten the nuts as needed.
FE
Boy would I like to see those CAT tickets ....and BTW, you didn't 'lose' anything.

"What I like about the Anderson is sway control is the same no matter how much or little weight is distributed."

Explain...if you have zero TW, control is the same as 600lb TW.
I don't think that's accurate.
Andersen uses friction, less friction less control.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #33
Wolfwhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Boy would I like to see those CAT tickets ....and BTW, you didn't 'lose' anything.

"What I like about the Anderson is sway control is the same no matter how much or little weight is distributed."

Explain...if you have zero TW, control is the same as 600lb TW.
I don't think that's accurate.
Andersen uses friction, less friction less control.

Bob
����
Are you always this skeptical Bob?

By "lost" I am referring to weight shifted from the steering axle to the drive axle.

Actually you are wrong that the control is the same with zero TW or 600# TW. Not with the Anderson design it isn't.

The hitch doesn't pivot on the ball. Rather, the chains anchored to the A-frame pull on the triangular plate and the cone assembly resists being turned. Resistance does increase with increased TW, but this reluctance to turn works well with even a little TW.

Lighter TW weight implies lighter trailer, thus less friction is required to resist sway.

FE
Old 09-28-2020, 06:24 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Clayton , North Carolina
In the OP’s case, the steering axle and drive axle are the same.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I don’t know that a trailer axle can be classified as either a steer or less so a drive axle.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Are you always this skeptical Bob?

By "lost" I am referring to weight shifted from the steering axle to the drive axle.

Actually you are wrong that the control is the same with zero TW or 600# TW. Not with the Anderson design it isn't.

The hitch doesn't pivot on the ball. Rather, the chains anchored to the A-frame pull on the triangular plate and the cone assembly resists being turned. Resistance does increase with increased TW, but this reluctance to turn works well with even a little TW.

Lighter TW weight implies lighter trailer, thus less friction is required to resist sway.

FE
Yes.

I understand now, those weight tickets cleared it all up for me. 😂

Resist does that not equal friction?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #37
Wolfwhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Yes.

I understand now, those weight tickets cleared it all up for me. 😂

Resist does that not equal friction?

Bob
🇺🇸
Can be synonyms. But, resistance has a broader meaning. Statute of Limitation ran out on that requirement (2015), so excuse me if I resist spending days looking for the weight papers. If they suddenly appear, I will get back with you.
FE
Old 09-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Can be synonyms. But, resistance has a broader meaning. Statute of Limitation ran out on that requirement (2015), so excuse me if I resist spending days looking for the weight papers. If they suddenly appear, I will get back with you.
FE
I'm sure they are gone forever.
How much of that 1400lb TW weight was actually moved.
We are talking Andersen right?

I move 720lb with 1000lb bars on a Hensley.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Looking at the Andersen compression springs, its technically possible to generate enough chain tension to move the 800-900 lb associated with a 1400 lb tongue. The trouble would be torquing the nut to achieve the tension. Jacking the hitch up then adjusting the nut may well allow for that. I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
^
How long would the plastic last at that tension?

Bob

Seems like an awful lot of added force on the balls bushing.

User photo...one trip with 1400lb TW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00FC474A-2EF6-48FA-9E4A-32A7618E6D6E.png
Views:	36
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	379707