Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Charles County , Missouri
For those interested. I cut the original stinger with a band saw. Took the parts from PP to where I use to work and gave a welder a box of girl scout cookies. He welded everything up for me and now I just need to clean everything up and paint. Only problem is it's to tight right now. I had to hammer it in there. I'll have to hit it lightly with a grinder.

Its really not difficult, even if you had to pay a welder, it would be cheaper than having multiple stinger's.
dmcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
I got it painted up and its ready to go. The modified hitch is about 2-1/2" longer than original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	124806  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Well it didn't take long to need a new drop bar. I bought another truck and Ive gone from a 2" to 5" and now I'm at 7" of drop. I can go more, but much more and I think I would start looking at a different hitch system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drop hitch.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	132131  
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Looks like you took the same route I did - works pretty slick doesn't it!
I notice your tow vehicle is a Dodge in the pictures. The 4x4 trucks have about 1.25" of spacers you can take out of the rear springs. I'm not sure if the 2wd have these spacers. I removed them from my truck and it sits much more level now - got rid of some of the rake.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Looks like you took the same route I did - works pretty slick doesn't it!
I notice your tow vehicle is a Dodge in the pictures. The 4x4 trucks have about 1.25" of spacers you can take out of the rear springs. I'm not sure if the 2wd have these spacers. I removed them from my truck and it sits much more level now - got rid of some of the rake.
Mines a 4x4 and its actually been lifted slightly. 2" in the front or leveled. And I see where its got a 1" or so block under the rear springs. I'm just to lazy to remove them now, maybe later.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I wonder why Hensley are so reluctant to provide such a design? Maybe the money to be made on selling stingers of different heights - although they do offer free exchange to original owners such as myself. Maybe they make $$ on shipping costs charged?

I did question one of their tech people on this point once and the only answer I got was that they had looked at it and concluded that it was not the way to go. No further detail offered - I should have asked - must be too polite!

I had to swap mine when I moved from our Sierra 1500 to 2500HD.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
DMCummins - I took the spacers out of the rear springs because I wanted the truck to ride more level, sit lower and I can put it in the garage with the cap on the back. I would lower the whole truck 4 inches if I could. I miss my old Jeep pickup.

I posed the question to Hensley and the answer was that there would be potential for side to side movement in the setup. I think it is more of a profit issue and I can't blame them for wanting to make a buck. Sometimes you just have to get creative.
I would be real surprised if there was any side to side movement as it takes quite a bit of effort and a small sledge hammer to make the stinger elevation adjustment.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Well I just got back from a 700 mile trip with my new setup. I ended up dropping the stinger down to about 8", with this I was able to put a little more weight on the front axel and keep the trailer pretty level. I have 1000lbs bars if that makes any difference.

Everything worked great. No sway as expected, trailer tracked very true, everything stayed tight and true. Truck is a big improvement as expected going from a 1/2 to to 3/4 ton diesel.

Only concern was when I was filling up with water. Experience a very large bang from the hitch area. I guess the trailer rolled forward and the hitch pivoted and clanged. I checked everything back there and everything was still tight. I didn't have the brakes on at the time, I was just getting ready to move. It never happened again but it was loud. I have heard of the bump, but this was more of a bang.

And I got 13.9 mpg hand calculated. I was running around 65 most of the way, St. Louis to the Indiana Dunes, very flat. I'm happy with that. And my bias ply China bomb's did not explode.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Last year I sent a message to Hensley asking if they had considered an adjustable stinger and they replied that they were concerned about the strength of that type of setup and that was why they had not offered it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
Last year I sent a message to Hensley asking if they had considered an adjustable stinger and they replied that they were concerned about the strength of that type of setup and that was why they had not offered it.
A non-answer.

Unless every engineer really has moved to India or China to have a hands-on career related to manufacturing then what their answer doesn't say is what counts.

Was studying this thread -- again -- as I remembered the work above (nice!) but couldn't remember if some "tilt" was added. I'll have to use my H/A for a while, again, on another Silver Streak until yet another is sourced & bought (time & money against me for the immediate present) in calendar 2012.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
The parts I got from Sean included the pin and washers that allow for you to adjust the tilt. Ive only put about 1000 miles so far on mine and everything is still good. I'm making the trip to Florida soon so I'll be putting another 2500 miles or so on. I'm still happy with the setup, I really havn't changed anything since I changed trucks, but I would have had to buy two bars by now.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #32

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Alliston , Ontario
Has anyone considered this. Like many Hensley owners i got a new truck but am not original owner of my Arrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20180323-105053.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	306925  
Jeff9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #33
Motivated

1974 25' Tradewind
1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
2007 25' International CCD FB
San Jose , California
Send a message via Skype™ to MaggieMarty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff9377 View Post
Has anyone considered this. Like many Hensley owners i got a new truck but am not original owner of my Arrow.
Bump.

I also am curious about the Gen-y adjustable drop hitches as a receiver for the Hensley Stinger. It seems extremely well built and solid. Comes in different drops and with or without Torsion. One can order the hitches also without ball mount. https://genyhitch.com/product-category/drop-hitches/

Anybody?
Old 06-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
Literally thousands and thousands of different brand hitches use adjustable drop stingers without an issue. ProPride is just one example of many brands that do so...

It's a non-issue if built sturdy enough...the Gen-V looks like a prime example of 'sturdy'...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 AM   #35

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Alliston , Ontario
Sorry I should have posted this sooner. I spoke to the manufacture of the Gen Y and they advised me they would not recommend their product with the Arrow. One of the reasons was the weight distribution of The Arrow would be affected. Not sure why.
Jeff9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Movement within the non-Hensley piece.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote